Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Team

Account login security change

I wanted to let you know that in the next day or so you may see a small change to the site login screen. This is being done as we add an extra layer of security to usernames and passwords. The login pages, registration page and pages where you might update your account login info will be behind an https url rather than the usual http url.

This change is being made to stay current with recommended security practices and not in response to any problem with the site or accounts.

HTTPS adds security in several ways; verifying that the site is the one a server is supposed to be talking to and by preventing tampering by 3rd parties. It stops Man-in-the-middle attacks, improving security for both the site and for those logging in.

This should not impact your usual browsing experience. You will still login, still tick the remember me box, etc. The location of the login button has changed however and the page looks a bit different.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Good work!
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Hmm.

There appears to have been a recent change...perhaps this change?...such that I now have to login repeatedly - at least once / day, if not more. This all takes place on the same computer on the same network with the same IP address. I don't logout of the forums, I don't logout of my computer, and I don't shut the computer down - though it may enter sleep mode.

Any help here?

Thanks

Dave Jordan
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Hmm.

There appears to have been a recent change...perhaps this change?...such that I now have to login repeatedly - at least once / day, if not more. This all takes place on the same computer on the same network with the same IP address. I don't logout of the forums, I don't logout of my computer, and I don't shut the computer down - though it may enter sleep mode.

Any help here?

Thanks

Dave Jordan
Its an IP address issue I believe, maybe between dynamic and static addresses. My home PC is fine on a cable network, my Android phone is ok either in browser or the app, my laptop through an AT&T air card is not liking it and is doing exactly what you describe. It started happening when the changes mentioned in this thread were implemented.

The same thing happened for a few days some months ago.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

IP address issues, I'm in agreement with that:thumbup:
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

Just to clarify - this is my home PC, on a hardwired network. I don't believe the IP address is changing.

Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #7

:thumbup:
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Just to clarify - this is my home PC, on a hardwired network. I don't believe the IP address is changing.

Dave
When you login, are you checking the "Remember Me?" checkbox?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Login.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	127566  
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
When you login, are you checking the "Remember Me?" checkbox?
No, I haven't done that.

Three notes...

First, in most uses, the "Remember Me?" checkbox results in the login name being remembered...not the password...and not your logged-in status. It speeds up your login, slightly, by pre-filling the user name field.

Second, I have not changed my behavior.

Third, my modem reports that it's current session (and IP address) have been running for over 9 days.

Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
No, I haven't done that.

Three notes...

First, in most uses, the "Remember Me?" checkbox results in the login name being remembered...not the password...and not your logged-in status. It speeds up your login, slightly, by pre-filling the user name field.

Third, my modem reports that it's current session (and IP address) have been running for over 9 days.

Dave
I would bet that when the site team responds that this will be explained with something about how the session cookies are handled.

Good luck with your results.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
No, I haven't done that.

Three notes...

Dave
As far as message boards go, in most cases I've found that the "remember me" button keeps me logged into the site. I visit a handful every day and never have to re-login to any of them, including this one.

I would suggest checking that box the next time you have to log in and see if that fixes the issue.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #12

X2

Nothing has changed here with my login I have been logged for several days.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If I don't click the "remember me" button when logging in on my office computer, it will log me out when the window is closed. If I click the button, log in, close the window, I'll still be logged in after days of not opening the site on the computer. Click the button.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #14

I do not check the box ever for anything and any browsers are set to only accept session cookies and never to hold them or keep a history. So I doubt that is the issue. I have not changed anything nor intend to and it works fine on the devices and connections mentioned in my earlier post. Interestingly a few minutes ago I could not connect at all on my laptop/AT&T aircard problem child. When clicking the click here to login button after entering the info it pops back to the homepage I'm not logged in. If I click on reply or quote in a thread the log in window opens, enter the info and it go's to "This page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

I am not disabling or refusing any.

Responded here with my Android phone which is also AT&T yet the air card won't. I am fairly certain the Android maintains a static IP address as does my home network which works, but the aircard is dynamic. All security and other settings are the same across all.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #15

When I check the "Remember Me?" check box I can close Chrome and restart it and pick the forum out of my favorites and I am still logged in. If I logout and then repeat the process, I must log back in.

Mr H, are you being punished?

Edit:
In my mind I saw a guy on a pole down the street that was driving a truck with "LCI" on the side of it.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
When I check the "Remember Me?" check box I can close Chrome and restart it and pick the forum out of my favorites and I am still logged in. If I logout and then repeat the process, I must log back in.

Mr H, are you being punished?

Edit:
In my mind I saw a guy on a pole down the street that was driving a truck with "LCI" on the side of it.
Now that's funny right there Wobbles. Actually I noticed that guy so I walked down there and turns out he couldn't get the job done. His LCI pliers were dull and when he squeezed them the handles snapped in half.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
Site Team

If you are having login issues, please make sure you are logged out, dump your site cookies and cache, restart and then try again, clicking the remember me box. We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes, etc - sometimes they get corrupted. A fresh start usually solves the issue.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
If you are having login issues, please make sure you are logged out, dump your site cookies and cache, restart and then try again, clicking the remember me box. We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes, etc - sometimes they get corrupted. A fresh start usually solves the issue.
Thanks JanetH, tried that despite being fairly sure it's not the problem. My browsers are always configured to delete cookies and cache along with history when closed, but hold them during session. So I did a manual purge, same results.

Laptop using windows 10 Pro and Firefox connected to AT&T via air card = Issues.

Desktop using windows 10 Pro and Firefox hard connected to a home network through a cable modem = No issues.

Android browser on a 70" Samsung TV through the home network with a wirelss connection = No issue.

Both the Laptop and Desktop systems are using same versions of everything and browser settings. The difference is the connection to the net. I connected the Laptop this morning to my home network / cable connection and no issues either hard connected or wireless.

Samsung S7 through AT&T wireless, either with the FRF app or Android browser, or Firefox mobile = No issues.

It has me stumped. What I know for sure is the issues started on the laptop with the air-card the afternoon of 12-29 and shortly after I noticed your post about a security update. I am not having this issue anywhere else including quite a few other forums including some SK ones that I believe are using the same software. I don't claim to be an expert but I'm fairly proficient with computers and networks because in addition to being a geez I'm also a geek. Sometime back the same issues popped up after you did some kind of update and I remember a thread about members having issues. As far as mine that eventually fixed itself and the system is no different then than it is now other than the usual updates from MS and such over time.

Today at work I am going to hack into the air card settings they do not make it easy to get too and play around with it. That seems to be the problem for whatever reason.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #19

Quote:
This was helpful to me Thanks Janet H
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
This process seems to have fixed the problem. And I do recall that my browser (firefox) crashed a few days ago - could have been when the problem started...

Thanks for the help

Dave Jordan