Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Ad's and scripts causing page to become painfully slow or freeze.

I am having issues with the FR website fully loading and becoming painfully slow responding or completely freezing. I am occasionally getting messages like "script could not load correctly" or "shockwave player has crashed", etc. All other web pages that I frequent with the exception of this site and Ebay seem to load fast and operate with no issues.
I have carefully gone through my computer and updated, cleaned and scanned pretty much everything on my system with no effect on how this site loads.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Are you using a quality ad blocker?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

I am not running any specific ad blockers and I am not having any issues with unwanted ad pop up's, etc. The ad's on this site are only the obvious paid advertising spots allowed by this site. After some more digging it seems to be directly related to Adobe.
Adobe seems to be aware that there is problems and their solution is to check for the most current version, which I have. Also to disable hardware acceleration as it can cause the problem as well, however I can not find this setting at the moment.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

I had this same problem. More on my laptop than on my pc. I checked into it and it seems to be a problem with Internet explorer running long scripts. I was advised to switch to firefox as my browser and it seems to have solved my problem.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Finally figured out how to disable hardware acceleration in Adobe and it seems to have resolved my issues for the time being. I will post an update if it continues to work for me.

saus, I am running Firefox and have been for some time now, definitely my choice in browsers. We have a fast internet connection and my laptop runs an i5 6200u processor with 12gb of ram, etc... It's fairly new and not that slow. I am also quite fussy about routine maintenance and updates.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikakuja View Post
Finally figured out how to disable hardware acceleration in Adobe and it seems to have resolved my issues for the time being. I will post an update if it continues to work for me.

saus, I am running Firefox and have been for some time now, definitely my choice in browsers. We have a fast internet connection and my laptop runs an i5 6200u processor with 12gb of ram, etc... It's fairly new and not that slow. I am also quite fussy about routine maintenance and updates.
Interesting... Wondering what all Adobe scrips are constantly running on the site?
I can understand a flash player for a video but I don't get those or other ads as I use Adblock Plus and have zero issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

I don't mind the supported ad's on sites as I support several vlogs and websites that depend on the ads as a source of income. If someone puts the time in to produce free entertainment, useful informative content and information, and they do a great job of it, then the way I see it the least I can do is support them by allowing the ads. After all, who wants to work for free.

Where I draw the line and block all ads is when someone abuses the system and does not work at supplying any useful media and simply relies on ads as a source of income.

I don't pay dues on this site and I enjoy the content so supporting the site and allowing ads works two fold. I get to be a part of a great informative site at no cost to me and in return they manage and moderate the site that provides me with entertainment, information and a sense of community.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

This has come up before. I followed the advice in this post: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1428025

Works like a charm. As a side benefit, it probably keeps the advertisers from getting more information about me that I want disclosed.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #9

Well, although disabling hardware acceleration in Adobe helped, it did not fix the issues to what I would consider acceptable. Certain ads are ok others freeze the page and some play audio without consent, with no way to disable them.
Looks like I may have no other choice but to use an ad blocker for this site.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikakuja View Post
Looks like I may have no other choice but to use an ad blocker for this site.
I'll repeat myself - I had the same problem, did what is noted in this post. Problem solved. Plus the advertisers can't follow everything you do.
Ever notice that if you do a search on amazon, you keep getting ads for what your looked for? This is how they do it.
Only issue I've come across, some of the secondary search sites push you thru a third site (ad counter or tracking site) when you click on one of their offerings. Solution is to copy/paste the site URL they provide into a new browser window.

Also, this solution is free.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1428025
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #11

Just a quick update. First off, thanks Al for your suggestion. I have however not made any changes to my computer. The problems I was having seem to have been resolved, the site is now loading quickly and has no notable issues.
Admin, if you have made the changes to resolve the problem, Thank You.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS