Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Broken Toe

Banner Ad Fail...

I was perusing the forum today, just like any other day. 99% of the time the banner ads at the top of the page are just background noise, and I barely notice them, but this one... Well, this one was different.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that FRF people was probably not the targeted demographic on this one.

I'm dying here..

Tim

P.S. And before you think "ads are custom generated based on history"... Not on this computer. This is my work office computer, and I would never look at anything that would prompt this ad on it. Even if I wanted to, our net-nanny is locked down so tight it would make Marry Poppins look like a swinger by comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whoops.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	128569  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I was perusing the forum today, just like any other day. 99% of the time the banner ads at the top of the page are just background noise, and I barely notice them, but this one... Well, this one was different.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that FRF people was probably not the targeted demographic on this one.

I'm dying here..

Tim

P.S. And before you think "ads are custom generated based on history"... Not on this computer. This is my work office computer, and I would never look at anything that would prompt this ad on it. Even if I wanted to, our net-nanny is locked down so tight it would make Marry Poppins look like a swinger by comparison.
My TV and TT requires lubricants. Could that be the demographic match?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #3

Two words come to mind for me Ad Block. I use it on every computer I own.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Me too... never see that stuff.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
So do I, but I don't own this computer. It belongs to my work, and they don't wanna let you do ANYTHING to them. We can't even use the USB ports or change the windows background picture. Hell... I'm even stuck using Internet Explorer :throwup: . I don't think getting the OK to install ad-block is gonna fly with the IT weenies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I use the Red and Tacky.
Locktite 262? You're a harsh S.O.B.!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
My TV and TT requires lubricants. Could that be the demographic match?
Now that you mention it.... it DOES sound like some sort of high-tech 5th wheel lube...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
So do I, but I don't own this computer. It belongs to my work, and they don't wanna let you do ANYTHING to them. We can't even use the USB ports or change the windows background picture. Hell... I'm even stuck using Internet Explorer :throwup: . I don't think getting the OK to install ad-block is gonna fly with the IT weenies.

Locktite 262? You're a harsh S.O.B.!

Tim
Your company provides you a computer, obviously isn't blocking IP addresses, lets you surf the web and post to forums and doesn't want to install ad blockers.... Interesting IT concept. Not sure why you'd have any complaints?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Google serves up most of these ads and while we specifically tell them we don;t want certain categories of ads, sometimes there are goofs. recently I saw an interesting mistake - probably not from google itself but instead maybe from the originating media firm.

Do you see anything unusual here? (hint - look for the red arrow)

Click image for larger version

Name:	subway ad.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	128580
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

I don't care what they put on this site, just wish the screen would just stop jerking around when the ads start popping in. Some pop so late it takes awhile to see the posts because the screen keeps jumping up or down loading the ads. Only on this site.
Is it only me???
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
I don't care what they put on this site, just wish the screen would just stop jerking around when the ads start popping in. Some pop so late it takes awhile to see the posts because the screen keeps jumping up or down loading the ads. Only on this site.
Is it only me???
AdBlocker Plus

Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Is it only me???
Give it a good waitin' on... it stops eventually.... three words, Get Ad Blocker...
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Is it only me???
I get the same thing, screen pauses then scrolls all the way to the top post. I use Firefox and at times I get a red X on the tab and not responding in the address bar. If I login and left click on something under Recent Discussions then after reading the thread I want to go back it just keeps taking me back to the same page. If I right click on the back arrow it will list the previous pages even if I haven't clicked on anything else. One time I did this and there was 20 pages listed having the same address. I have fewer problems with it if I don't login. If I want to reply to a thread I right click on the topic on the column under Recent Discussions and open in a new tab, then login and reply. When I done reading that thread I just close the tab. I thought it was because I'm using satellite internet, -- very slow at times, like 17kbps. Worse than 56k dial-up.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

I'm using ie and turn on the do not track and turn on tracking protection and it stops them all with out using an ad blocker.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

I aslo get quite a few Firefox not responding warnings. I wouldn't use IE if everyone paid me to.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #15

Good to know it's not just me. Using FireFox on a Mac. Have used ad block before but it seemed to slow down the pages loading. Has gotten worse lately or I am noticing it more. Site seems to freeze up lately too. Ads play audio and can not stop without turning off sound. This does not happen on other sites that I go to on a regular basis.
Learned a lot on this site but it may not be worth the hassle.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The site team has performed a clean up removing some inappropriate off topic comments. Please keep on topic and keep the forum family friendly. Thank you.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #17
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Your company provides you a computer, obviously isn't blocking IP addresses, lets you surf the web and post to forums and doesn't want to install ad blockers.... Interesting IT concept. Not sure why you'd have any complaints?

I'm sorry. I was not aware that I was complaining.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I get the same thing, screen pauses then scrolls all the way to the top post. I use Firefox and at times I get a red X on the tab and not responding in the address bar. If I login and left click on something under Recent Discussions then after reading the thread I want to go back it just keeps taking me back to the same page. If I right click on the back arrow it will list the previous pages even if I haven't clicked on anything else. One time I did this and there was 20 pages listed having the same address. I have fewer problems with it if I don't login. If I want to reply to a thread I right click on the topic on the column under Recent Discussions and open in a new tab, then login and reply. When I done reading that thread I just close the tab. I thought it was because I'm using satellite internet, -- very slow at times, like 17kbps. Worse than 56k dial-up.
You're not Imagining it, has been giving me fits since the security update late December on my work laptop, its essentially unusable. Not sure why as I have tried everything but evidently has to do with how this site responds to my AT&T air-card. I have tried every setting imaginable. Firefox, Edge, Chrome, it does not matter and I am no IT or PC slouch. The problem is with this site and not our systems.

You can not convince anyone of that. All site management ever says is clear cookies and cache which is not the issue. Everything worked fine before the Dec update and since then forget it. No problems whatsoever with anything else on the net but here, including a few other Social Knowledge owned forums that are running the same basic software.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #19

"essentially unusable" That's the words I was looking for, plus "annoying".

Somehow I missed the inappropriate off topic comments...?????
Old 01-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
. All site management ever says is clear cookies and cache which is not the issue.
This is not quite accurate..
  1. Log out
  2. Clear cookies, etc
  3. Cycle your device or system off and then on
  4. Make sure browser, security protocols and any browser add ins have been updated.
  5. Specifically allow cookie exchange with the site
  6. Log in and tick the remember me box

it's worth noting that many of these steps are usually done automatically if you have set up your system to allow updates, etc but if you have set your security setting very high or are running an older operating system or browser version you may have to manually do these things.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote