Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Change to threaded style forums

First of all. Thank you FRF team, you rock.

I would like to suggest switching from the slash CMS to a threaded, like reddit, CMS.

That is all.
Thank you for you consideration.
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #2

Boy slash CMS to threaded CMS glad the tech team knows this stuff. How is one better then the other? (always looking to learn something new)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #3

@SeaDog.

Slash is what FRF is using now. Comments on a post are simply listed in order they where submitted.

Threaded, like reddit, allows one to reply to the main post OR to a comment. An example would be this comment would be “under” your comment, it would visually show I’m replying to you. Think like a tree, branches.

The advantage being, says someone posts something wrong. You’ll immediately see all replies. If someone has already corrected the bad info, You can then close that branch, and read the other comments.

Basically it lets you easily follow conversations in a post. Instead of the slash style where you have to read through possibly pages of comments, sometimes mixing up who is replying to who.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockin View Post
@SeaDog.

Slash is what FRF is using now. Comments on a post are simply listed in order they where submitted.

Threaded, like reddit, allows one to reply to the main post OR to a comment. An example would be this comment would be “under” your comment, it would visually show I’m replying to you. Think like a tree, branches.

The advantage being, says someone posts something wrong. You’ll immediately see all replies. If someone has already corrected the bad info, You can then close that branch, and read the other comments.

Basically it lets you easily follow conversations in a post. Instead of the slash style where you have to read through possibly pages of comments, sometimes mixing up who is replying to who.
That is what the quote button is for..... i find the reddit style of forums very hard to use, vs this style which almost every forum i am on uses (and i am on about 45 different forums)
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
Site Team

First of all, the board software kinda is what it is. To change it would require a massive upgrade that AFAIK isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Second, the board has been working in it's current form for about 15 years now. I say if it's not broke, there's no reason to try and fix it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
That is what the quote button is for
Yep, but now you need to read to the last page to see any responses. You can’t see from your post how many, if any quotes there are.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
First of all, the board software kinda is what it is. To change it would require a massive upgrade that AFAIK isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Second, the board has been working in it's current form for about 15 years now. I say if it's not broke, there's no reason to try and fix it.
My Commodore 64 is not broke, working since 1984. Think I might want to upgrade it
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:

Well, that a bummer. I'd get so much more use out of the site if it was in a modern format.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #9

This forum is a dream compared to a different RV forum I rarely frequent anymore.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
My Commodore 64 is not broke, working since 1984. Think I might want to upgrade it
I've seen people install Windows on them before so...

Even at my company we still have software running that was built in Access 97.

I know a lot of companies are still running COBOL because they don't want to spend the money to upgrade their systems.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
@SeaDog.

We have that option. You just have to change the display options in your user cp. Here is what the threaded option looks likeClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210504-130802.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	253607

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Team

To change your display options click on the user cp in the top menu bar.

Now on the left side under settings and options, click on edit options.

Scroll down the page now in middle until you see the thread display dropdown box.

There you have several display options. Choose threaded option.

Scroll all the way to bottom and make sure to save changes.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
My VIC 20 just quit and I was lucky to pick up a good used Packard Bell (PACKARD HELL) with 8mb of RAM and 2x speed CD ROM.
the on board sound card sort sounds like hamsters trapped in the casing though.

wish I had this when I was serving with the MP's vs carbon paper for reports. so much easier.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Well, that a bummer. I'd get so much more use out of the site if it was in a modern format.
If you think this Forum isn't modern, have you ever used the largest RV forum on the Internet, RV.net? Talk about old format!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
To change your display options click on the user cp in the top menu bar.

Now on the left side under settings and options, click on edit options.

Scroll down the page now in middle until you see the thread display dropdown box.

There you have several display options. Choose threaded option.

Scroll all the way to bottom and make sure to save changes.
Thanks!
Hybrid is the closest to a modern threaded, though admittedly not as slick as some sites. I can see testing the "treaded" option, why people would say they do NOT like it.

Though it seems I may have been wrong. I assumed the site was slash(slashcode) but inspection shows vBulletin 3.8.8 Beta 1. Which is confusing since vBulletin 3 is EOL, but has fixes for Edge? If that is correct, it seems that vBulletin 5 is the current release.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks!
Hybrid is the closest to a modern threaded, though admittedly not as slick as some sites. I can see testing the "treaded" option, why people would say they do NOT like it.

Though it seems I may have been wrong. I assumed the site was slash(slashcode) but inspection shows vBulletin 3.8.8 Beta 1. Which is confusing since vBulletin 3 is EOL, but has fixes for Edge? If that is correct, it seems that vBulletin 5 is the current release.
Edge came out in 2015.

vBulletin 3.X EOL was in 2017.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:

Exactly!

I like the old formats. I grew up when it was too cold to sit on the throne and read something during winter. Now in warmth, I just select the last page on a laptop and zip to the bottom without leaving the house. But then I am still using Win7 and Exploder 11, the old stand-by's.

My new computer with Win 10 is nearly unusable. I'd like to divorce it and win a lottery just so I could buy a Porsche 911, then afford to have it modified with the brakes where the footfeet... er throttle... is supposed to be, and have the steering go left when turned right etc. Then give it to Bill Gates as a gift.

I'm thinking that the other mentioned format might work better on new-fangled Smart Phones, but I'd rather use this historical format on a computer. Heck, I like RV.net's vintage format too.

I suspect that fancy phones already ruined the net. Half the time my mouse scrolling slider is missing as though I'm going to use my thumb on the soft, precious screen. I don't want to vibrate the screen bulb in this thing. I wish to heck the big-slab-phone-people would'a just got their own internet.

Which reminds me... while I'm, umm, expressing my concern... TracFone desperately wants me to give up my perfectly good flip-phone for 5g service... which we'll never have in the outback of ND anyway. For one thing, it's too old for spam. Rats, I have a large build-up of minutes on it and just accidently bought an expensive new $20 battery for it... when there must have only been some minor corrosion on the terminals.

It started working great again right after the Battery shop took it apart to see which one to order, and I was already home of course. I was all set for the Zombie Apocalypse until TracFone did that. My phone charge would'a outlasted everybody's.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:

YOUR reply ; IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT......is the best !
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks for doing research.
We have several members with more than 20,000 posts - more with 10K+. They don't seem to have problems with the current set-up. System software selection menu calls it "Threaded" display mode.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
My VIC 20 just quit and I was lucky to pick up a good used Packard Bell (PACKARD HELL) with 8mb of RAM and 2x speed CD ROM.
the on board sound card sort sounds like hamsters trapped in the casing though.

wish I had this when I was serving with the MP's vs carbon paper for reports. so much easier.
Funny stuff. My first home computer was a Sinclair ZX-80 with 1K of Ram. Also had the VIC-20. C-128. SX-64, Amiga 1000. Then gave up and went with the dark side. DOS!

CNTRL-ALT-DEL
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote