Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I think most of the rude comments are really just an attempt at humor. Out here in internet land we don't have the ability to see the facial expression or the tone of voice of whomever we are communicating with which greatly increases the occurrence of misunderstandings.
In some cases I agree with you but in others I don't I was on the receiving end of one where I tried to explain why a situation ( RV bathroom door locks) was dangerous to children because of what happened to us and I got an earful from two two posters that are long gone.... about how bad of a parent I was and I should have crashed through a door at a RV dealership as they would have. My kids should have been turned into social services over something that happened nearly 30 years ago while we were looking at new campers. That's not the only time...... the posters usually are only hear a short while that cause the most trouble................

The moderators are really good about deleting the worst post before they are open too long.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Those of us who grew up on "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie and Harriet" have a very different worldview than those who grew up on Jerry Springer and conflict-ridden "Reality shows"

My Dad used to say "Civility is a very thin veneer covering a primal beast". Time has proven his wisdom.
Your father was a very wise man, but unfortunately times have changed (are changing?) and a lot of people think they can hide behind the anonymity of their keyboard and just fire away.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

My thoughts are a few..

This is the internet, the person on the other side could be anything they want... The internet is faceless. Unless you know me I could be a 12 year old kid (or 40 year old man) living in my mother's basement. Might not even have an RV...

Like email typing does not show inflection, body language or the other non-verbal cues we use to figure out the context of ones statements. I myself find myself sometimes being a bit harsh. I sometime (well most times) tend to be no BS, to the point kind of person. This sometimes rubs people the wrong way I am sure.

There is also 101,000 members there is bound to be trouble

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #24

Live a good and honorable life, then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
....It sure seems like people are getting more and more rude to each other. Snide and snotty responses seem to appear more and more.....

Here's one example:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ge-148065.html...
Dear OP:

Only with your permission, blessing and warm, kind thoughts, I would like to apologize for being the first and third in response to the linked thread. My posts were completely out of line and snide to someone inquiring for Prius high MPG while towing a trailer that outweighs their TV.

As a 36 year old average male, I am slowly realizing that people are born with less and less common sense every day; in turn, it has been replaced with ultra sensitive sensitivity. I know that as I grew up respecting my teachers, they told me there was no such thing as a stupid question; however, I do believe that there are questions asked that have obvious answers. I'm talking about those questions that lead the person answering to say "No $#!@ Sherlock" in their head before actually responding.

I promise to do a better job answering each post with the most utter politeness and respect of all other posters. I will take the approach as most of us are forced to in this day and age and not ruffle the feathers and upset the weaker members on this forum. We must stand together and be proud to be as strong as our weakest link! At least they kinda hold the chain together...

Written by my alter ego....a proud Keystone Owner!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
Old 11-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post

Dear OP:

Only with your permission, blessing and warm, kind thoughts, I would like to apologize for being the first and third in response to the linked thread.
The sarcasm is strong with this one...

Seriously, though, what ever happened to "Do unto others as you would have them do to you"? Or, maybe what my kids called the Thumper Rule (from Bambi) is better, "If you can't say sumpin' nice, don't say nuttin' at all."
Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #27
Broken Toe

Honestly, this forum is the "Sunshine Valley Puppy Farm" as far as forums go. I'm on a diesel form that has a "Politics and Religion" section that is about as civil as a lynching. Sometimes I forget to 'switch gears' when I come to this forums.

But the "worst of the worst" is Pirate 4x4 forum. Even a simple and honest question gets people roasted alive for being so stupid for even asking. It's like a pack of crazed dogs on steroids over there.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Most of us who frequent forums just shrug it off. Its the newbies that can get easily scared off if they come for help and get lambasted right out of the gate.
Thank You for pointing this out. First impressions are extremely important, and are crucial for our friendly community to keep growing. We would hope all members would always want the first impressions to be helpful and welcoming.

These forums are mostly self-policing and usually require no site team intervention, as the vast majority of the members appreciate and accept the guidelines that keep this forum friendly... and most importantly, productive. Friends HELP friends. Enemies do not, so the guidelines are set to be used in a way to keep us friends and not turn into enemies.

We are a DIY forum of like minded RV'ers who come here to find solutions or assist others in their RV problems. This is truly a "happy" place in that aspect and the guidelines assure such.

The members who want to be rude, unaccepting, or talk about controversial subjects can easily find such on other forums..but not here.

I'm trying to write a self-help book but I'm struggling. Any advice?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
oh hells-to-the-no. I'll never moderator a rv forum again. Too much babysitting grown adults.

I'd rather get a tongue tattoo!
owwwww 😖

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
Site Team

Honestly, I think our forum rules state it best:

Be Courteous! Our philosophy is that we want The Forest River Forums to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire.

In my experience, campers and RVers are the friendliest and most welcoming group of people I know. Most will wave as we drive by on our way to our site. Or even if we are just cruising around the campground.

Having just moved into a new seasonal site at a new CG this past year, we had dozens of people stop by and introduce themselves.

Anytime I've needed help with something, like moving a deck, it takes maybe 5 minutes to gather up a good sized group willing to help.

We've made many friends and acquaintances just by stopping to talk to someone and they tell us to pull up a chair. Or a log... or a rock...

It easy enough to bring that same attitude to the forums. We were all new and full of questions at one time or another. So we all need to have a little patience and understanding when someone asks for help or opinions on something. Even if it's a question that's been asked 1000 times before. Not everyone is as tech savvy about searching for answers on their own.

We are all here to have fun, make new friends, learn a few things and help each other out.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Seriously, though, what ever happened to "Do unto others as you would have them do to you"? Or, maybe what my kids called the Thumper Rule (from Bambi) is better, "If you can't say sumpin' nice, don't say nuttin' at all."
I have to agree.
This is definitely one of the nicest forums I've been on and I've been on various ones since the 90's. The rule I've always tried to have for myself is that if I wouldn't say it to someone standing in front of me, then I shouldn't say to someone in a forum either. There's something about the distance and anonymity of the internet that takes away some of the civility.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Dear OP:

Only with your permission, blessing and warm, kind thoughts, I would like to apologize for being the first and third in response to the linked thread. My posts were completely out of line and snide to someone inquiring for Prius high MPG while towing a trailer that outweighs their TV.

As a 36 year old average male, I am slowly realizing that people are born with less and less common sense every day; in turn, it has been replaced with ultra sensitive sensitivity. I know that as I grew up respecting my teachers, they told me there was no such thing as a stupid question; however, I do believe that there are questions asked that have obvious answers. I'm talking about those questions that lead the person answering to say "No $#!@ Sherlock" in their head before actually responding.

I promise to do a better job answering each post with the most utter politeness and respect of all other posters. I will take the approach as most of us are forced to in this day and age and not ruffle the feathers and upset the weaker members on this forum. We must stand together and be proud to be as strong as our weakest link! At least they kinda hold the chain together...

Written by my alter ego....a proud Keystone Owner!

Actually there was nothing mentioned about gas mileage as it relates to a Prius. If anyone is thinking "no sh*t Sherlock" when they read a post asking a question, common sense may dictate not replying at all. I didn't know we had "weaker" members but thanks for that pearl of wisdom. Your alter ego is no improvement.

Yep folks the culture has definitely changed.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #33
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Thank You for pointing this out. First impressions are extremely important, and are crucial for our friendly community to keep growing. We would hope all members would always want the first impressions to be helpful and welcoming.
Thanks for mentioning that. I agree that most perceived rudeness is an attempt at humor or sarcasm that fell flat. However, some newbies set themselves up for failure, as it were, by making a bad first impression of their own.

We have all see guys with one or two posts that come in and instantly start harping on how bad Forest River is. These people have no interest in the 'community' aspect of the forum, they just feel like they were wronged and want to let everyone know. You can count on them almost universally to be 'less than nice' from the get-go, and that practically invites 'less than nice' responses from some of our more... ahem.... "prickly" members.

Rudeness begets rudeness. Not saying its right, but it does happen.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 11-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #34

Some of the examples given were not uncivil, just short.

Not to make a direct example, but today, too many people think if they are 'offended' that saying so is an absolute requirement that the 'offender' immediately apologize and rescind.

Being offended is not fatal. Just shrug it off and go on. I almost wish I could put up a bumper sticker that says "Offend Someone Today. Toughen Them Up".

Texting is a few characters. Online chat is for the Quick....while I have a minute. Often there's bad emotions inferred that are not implied.

You can talk to me any way you want...........just so long as you talk to me. Getting information and discussion is way more important than how it's presented. Sift through it, garner what you can.

All that said, Civility is indeed important and has sadly declined.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #35
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
I have to agree.
This is definitely one of the nicest forums I've been on and I've been on various ones since the 90's. The rule I've always tried to have for myself is that if I wouldn't say it to someone standing in front of me, then I shouldn't say to someone in a forum either. There's something about the distance and anonymity of the internet that takes away some of the civility.

Ray
That don't work for me, as I stuff I would say to someones face would still get me banned from this forum. I tell people who take offense... I'm a guy who owns a FR camper. That does not automatically mean I'm not an a-hole.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 11-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. I agree that most perceived rudeness is an attempt at humor or sarcasm that fell flat. However, some newbies set themselves up for failure, as it were, by making a bad first impression of their own.

We have all see guys with one or two posts that come in and instantly start harping on how bad Forest River is. These people have no interest in the 'community' aspect of the forum, they just feel like they were wronged and want to let everyone know. You can count on them almost universally to be 'less than nice' from the get-go, and that practically invites 'less than nice' responses from some of our more... ahem.... "prickly" members.

Rudeness begets rudeness. Not saying its right, but it does happen.

Tim
This happens more often than not.
These folks just want to complain.
Most (not all) are NOT looking for solutions, they've simply exhausted other avenues of complaining and finally landed here.
Consequently, they are also not happy with any response they get and so it spirals downward from there.

If someone comes here legitimately looking for help or advice, this forum is head and shoulders above most all others for extending a helping hand.

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=32
Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This happens more often than not.
These folks just want to complain.
Most (not all) are NOT looking for solutions, they've simply exhausted other avenues of complaining and finally landed here.
Consequently, they are also not happy with any response they get and so it spirals downward from there.

If someone comes here legitimately looking for help or advice, this forum is head and shoulders above most all others for extending a helping hand.
I totally agree with that statement. For the few months that I have been on this forum. I have received so much from its members to help me avoid costly mistakes and damage to my 5th wheel
Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #38
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I've spent a lot of time on these forums in the last two days after being away for a while. It sure seems like people are getting more and more rude to each other. Snide and snotty responses seem to appear more and more. These of course generate nasty responses back.

What can we do to get back to being more civil to each other about a subject that is supposed to be FUN?

The admins shouldn't have to be deleting messages and warning users all the time.

Here's one example:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ge-148065.html

Here's another, starting with #61:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-147667-7.html
Unfortunately, this is typical of our society today. No civility. Too much bickering, too much rancor and too much vitriol towards others. We just can't seem to have a discussion about anything without someone chiming in with a veiled insult, or a greater than thou attitude. Some of the responses I've seen are beyond the pale. I have no desire to camp anywhere near these people.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 11-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #39

To begin with, I'll mention that not only am I what's classified as a 'Senior Citizen', but also a retired military Viet Nam era service member. I was forced to 'raise' individuals who needed absolute care forced upon them. Those days have long since past. Now days, we have individuals who take home big pay checks and think that's what gets them notarization ~ well, not from me.

I have far fewer posts on this forum than many, but I read many threads here constantly and take away what matters to me. Often, someone will join or start a new thread with a question or problem and several members will jump in offering solutions. That's fine IF members will take the time to read past the original opening statement and observe who or what response has already been offered. Setting at work, using the company computer or their smart phone to make a quick reply isn't always helpful and may add a bit of aggravation for others.

I notice all to often, the thread turns into 'what I've got' and a dollar & cents reply. I could honestly care less about how much $$ others have in the bank or what they have ~ as the saying goes: without pics, it didn't happen. Again, someone sitting with the computer and rv catalogs with only the best & most expensive items underlined.

As I mentioned, I read the threads and the replies but often I do not log in. If I have a reply which might be beneficial, I'll simply pm the OP, introduce myself and offer a solution. Sometimes I receive a reply, sometimes I don't ~ but that's okay. I was taught to take care of my stuff and respect others until they remove all doubt.

Off my soap box, but there's my nickel (for inflation)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
To begin with, I'll mention that not only am I what's classified as a 'Senior Citizen', but also a retired military Viet Nam era service member.

The most important thing to say in this context, and on this day, is "thank you for your service to your country!"
Closed Thread