Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
Pseudonym

Disable individual post subject line

Too many people put important information in the subject line of an individual post/reply and then make no reference to that information within the post. This makes it difficult to follow what they're discussing when viewing on the mobile app. Is it possible to remove the subject line from posts/replies so we can avoid their use? It's caused quite a few headaches for me and others - even starting hostile arguments because people don't understand that the information in the subject line of a reply is not visible to everyone.

Why do people even need a subject line for a post? It doesn't make much sense, when you can just type the information in the post itself and it is clear as day what the subject is.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Agreed that it's a problem but I'm not sure it's something that we can change. I think the software uses the same default form for both starting a new thread (where you actually do need a title) and replying to a thread.

We'll send something up to the tech team and see what can be done.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Pseudonym

Awesome! Thanks
Old 04-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #4

Good idea

Old 04-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #5

Rather than disabling the subject line, why can't they 'mirror' the subject line in the first line of the post for people who are using the mobile app?
Old 04-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #6

I have a iPhone and use the mobile app and have no idea what your talking about, I guess the problem is with other brands of phones.

On my app the topic line only appears when I post a topic, if I reply to a post there is no topic line to enter.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I have a iPhone and use the mobile app and have no idea what your talking about, I guess the problem is with other brands of phones.

On my app the topic line only appears when I post a topic, if I reply to a post there is no topic line to enter.
That's because the apps are different. The problem happens when someone on the full site enters something into the title line. The mobile app users can't see it.

See post #4 in this thread for an example. This is how it shows up on the full site. I'm betting you can't see the words "good idea" on the mobile app.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	271750

That's because this is what shows up when you click the quote button or the post reply button in the thread rather than using the quick reply function.

Name:	pic2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	271751
Old 04-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #8

Now I get it! 🤣 Thanks
All this time I was thinking people were messed up, confused or delayed reaction.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #9

They get 'canned replies'? Awesome. I might have to download that app to my phone.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
They get 'canned replies'? Awesome. I might have to download that app to my phone.
That might be a site team feature.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #11
Pseudonym

Disable individual post subject line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post

The first picture shows what shows on a web browser - the title of the person's response is shown.

Name:	makes sense.png
Views:	35
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	271758

The second picture shows what the same post looks like on the mobile app - the title is not visible, so what this d*** posted is not clear to anyone on the mobile app.

Name:	IMG_1697.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	271760

The third picture shows what appears when you click "post reply" or "quote" on a web browser - the "Title" is visible and I'm not entirely sure why anyone feels the need to put something here because it is either redundant, completely unnecessary, or erroneously used.

Name:	title.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	271759
Old 04-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith View Post
I'm not entirely sure why anyone feels the need to put something here because it is either redundant, completely unnecessary, or erroneously used.
I plead guilty to using the title in a reply. I usually indicate that I'm replying to a poster (not the op) who has asked a second question - usually quoting my reply. However, I'm now going to put the poster's name in the reply itself as well as in the title (that you can't see)
Old 04-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Agreed that it's a problem but I'm not sure it's something that we can change. I think the software uses the same default form for both starting a new thread (where you actually do need a title) and replying to a thread.

We'll send something up to the tech team and see what can be done.
Thanks... been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.

Like BrandonSmith said... "I'm not entirely sure why anyone feels the need to put something here (individual post title) because it is either redundant, completely unnecessary, or erroneously used."

All pertinent information should be within the body of the post, period.

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=23
Old 04-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
The first picture shows what shows on a web browser - the title of the person's response is shown.

Attachment 271758

The second picture shows what the same post looks like on the mobile app - the title is not visible, so what this d*** posted is not clear to anyone on the mobile app.

Attachment 271760

The third picture shows what appears when you click "post reply" or "quote" on a web browser - the "Title" is visible and I'm not entirely sure why anyone feels the need to put something here because it is either redundant, completely unnecessary, or erroneously used.

Attachment 271759

Thanks for taking the extra time to explain this, as I said I’m on a IPhone and actually I’ve used the iPhone 99% of the time and never realized I was missing something.
But on some topics something seamed like something was off.
It would be less confusing if every platform could see all comments to keep the communication clear.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #15

Why use the app?

Quote:
Too many people put important information in the subject line of an individual post/reply and then make no reference to that information within the post. This makes it difficult to follow what they're discussing when viewing on the mobile app. Is it possible to remove the subject line from posts/replies so we can avoid their use? It's caused quite a few headaches for me and others - even starting hostile arguments because people don't understand that the information in the subject line of a reply is not visible to everyone.

Why do people even need a subject line for a post? It doesn't make much sense, when you can just type the information in the post itself and it is clear as day what the subject is.
It's clear that the app is broken. Why use it? (See subject.) People have complained about this for years and it's clear that the developers cannot be bothered to fix it. Maybe if a few users went to the app store and gave 1-star reviews they would fix it.

When I'm using my phone, I simply use the browser and view the subjects just fine.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 04-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It's clear that the app is broken. Why use it? (See subject.) People have complained about this for years and it's clear that the developers cannot be bothered to fix it. Maybe if a few users went to the app store and gave 1-star reviews they would fix it.

When I'm using my phone, I simply use the browser and view the subjects just fine.
The app isn't broken. It's built with completely different software for a different platform than the full site.

The native version of the sites software includes that title option in the advanced reply editor (full view). The app doesn't support it.

While it's probably possible to alter the site code to comment this out, it's a fair amount of work and we run the risk of breaking something else.

So it's just something we'll have to live with and watch out for. If anyone happens to notice when pertinent information is put in the title of a post and could cause confusion, simply report it to the site team and we can take care of it.
Closed Thread