Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Forum separation suggestion

I can bet what the answer to this will be. But I'm going to suggest it anyway.

I would LOVE to see all posts have some kind of automated prefix depending on where they originated. Such as TT for bumper pull, 5W for fifth wheel, or MH for motorhome.

I go to "Recent Discussions" to check for new posts mostly. And I have no idea what type of unit the OP has........till I click on it. And yes, I sometimes click on it and reply, even though it's a MH and I'm not a MH guy.

I do NOT think this would separate 'us' that much. But as much as I admire BClemens, and as much as I'm SURE I'd own a Dynamax should I ever buy a MH, I never will. So, even when the subject is Satellite tv, for example, and maybe I know 'something' about that, I know it's so different in a MH that I need to bow out. It'd be nice to know that was where the post originated.

Thanks.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Just because I own a TT and not a MH, does not mean I can't answer some questions. General questions such as winterization and tank flushing are pretty much common across all types of RVs from popups to Class As. We can all benefit from each other's knowledge and experience regardless of whether you own my my type of RV or not. When I post a question, I want to hear from anyone who may have some insight to my issue. I don't care what you own personally.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

“Grabs a bag of popcorn” [emoji897]
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I can bet what the answer to this will be. But I'm going to suggest it anyway.

I would LOVE to see all posts have some kind of automated prefix depending on where they originated. Such as TT for bumper pull, 5W for fifth wheel, or MH for motorhome.

I go to "Recent Discussions" to check for new posts mostly. And I have no idea what type of unit the OP has........till I click on it. And yes, I sometimes click on it and reply, even though it's a MH and I'm not a MH guy.

I do NOT think this would separate 'us' that much. But as much as I admire BClemens, and as much as I'm SURE I'd own a Dynamax should I ever buy a MH, I never will. So, even when the subject is Satellite tv, for example, and maybe I know 'something' about that, I know it's so different in a MH that I need to bow out. It'd be nice to know that was where the post originated.

Thanks.
I understand your request, but looking at the software being used, I don't think it can be done. Also this would only work in subforums you named, and how would it apply to those questions asked in the general forums or tech subforums? All of those posts would have to be moved to a subforum with a thread prefix attached.

This could be a logistic nightmare, especially for the site team. We do try to move threads to more appropriate subforums when we see them or they are reported.... but that doesn't always work in real time.

I'll do some more research.

The classified thread is a specific module that does attach thread prefixes, but that is a module. I don't think there is one available across the board as you are asking.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Just because I own a TT and not a MH, does not mean I can't answer some questions. General questions such as winterization and tank flushing are pretty much common across all types of RVs from popups to Class As. We can all benefit from each other's knowledge and experience regardless of whether you own my my type of RV or not. When I post a question, I want to hear from anyone who may have some insight to my issue. I don't care what you own personally.
Agree 1,000%.

And I WILL help/assist/answer any question.

But I'd like to know in advance. There are already various Forums. They already divide the site. I'm just asking that posts be noted by those Forums.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

BandJ.....

I hear what you’re saying, however, instead of recent discussions (where you don’t know the category) try using “ New posts” along the top of the page. That format does give you the category of the post.

Just a suggestion.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
BandJ.....

I hear what you’re saying, however, instead of recent discussions (where you don’t know the category) try using “ New posts” along the top of the page. That format does give you the category of the post.

Just a suggestion.
Well that's obvious but I never saw that.
Thank you.
I will try it. "Recent Discussions" is automatically there, though.

SO......it's ok to show the Forum Name on "new posts" but not ok to ask for it on Recent Discussions. LOL

OK, a big 'never mind'. I'll try the New Posts for a while. Thanks for the help.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

Also if using tapatalk, when clicking on timeline. It will show you new posts in order and what subforum they belong to.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

I rarely use a phone to access this.

WM tire, I think it'd be fine if SOME of the general posts had no prefix. And shouldn't, really. I can see it might be impossible to implement. Just thought I'd ask. Minor, minor, thing.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
BandJ.....

Just a suggestion.
X2 on the "new posts". That's always my default view on any message board I browse. The recent discussions is ok but very limited in that it only shows about 15 threads.

Clicking new posts shows me 20 pages of threads.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #11

How about making it Mandatory to list your RV type in your Signature, I think that would help
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
X2 on the "new posts". That's always my default view on any message board I browse. The recent discussions is ok but very limited in that it only shows about 15 threads.

Clicking new posts shows me 20 pages of threads.

OMG.... I am so glad that I never knew about the 'new post' defaults that have 20 pages..... now I will have to reply to everyone of them....

because my wife says that I am a 'know it all'... and she is never wrong..

Hur-rumph... hur-rumph....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
How about making it Mandatory to list your RV type in your Signature, I think that would help
I can understand that too, but many members here don't use a sigline, or their real names, locations, etc.

We offer the options for all of this, but it is voluntarily and not mandatory....and some people simply don't want to state such.

The only thing we really try and make mandatory is to treat each other with respect and don't be rude.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I can understand that too, but many members here don't use a sigline, or their real names, locations, etc.

We offer the options for all of this, but it is voluntarily and not mandatory....and some people simply don't want to state such.

The only thing we really try and make mandatory is to treat each other with respect and don't be rude.
Most people can’t treat family with respect and not be rude.....while most people here call this forum their dysfunctional family. 🤪🤪

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
Also if using tapatalk, when clicking on timeline. It will show you new posts in order and what subforum they belong to.

Tapatalk?

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post

Mandatory?

If that is done then it should be mandatory for the SOFTWARE to DISPLAY THE SIGNATURE!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Tapatalk?

It’s a phone app to browse web forums
Old 02-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #18

when you go to recent discussions and click on a post when it comes up, just slide to the top of the list and you will see what forum it is on. I had to take an ass chewing a few times before I figured this out. On my motorcycle forum, it is right there with the recent discussions post and you don't have to go look.

I agree with the signatures. That should be a mandatory sign up. It would stop a lot of confusion and help on making us all know what we are talking about.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #19

Thank you, arter368rlbhk. I knew it was but asked the question rhetorically since when I was first exposed to the name on another forum, no one explained.

Some people assume that everyone uses the same thing and comes from the same background.

When I joined the forum, my welcome note said to complete the profile in the users control panel.

As I remember it, that is essentially all.

Now if we are going to require it to be complete then pigeonholed into a category then we must,require everyone’s profile to be complete BEFORE they can post?

I use the Forest River RV app by Social Networks.

It does not display the signature.

Hmm, critical to know the RV?

The developer should then be required to display the profile info.

I know you can tap in the name and see the profile. Not the point.

People here are being criticized because their profile is incomplete and not shown in their post. Seems like hypocracy to me.

The Forest River RV app sends notices whenever someone posts to a thread that I have subscribed to through it, cool. The web site sends me notices via email for threads that I visit (subscribe to?) on it, also cool. So I am getting iOS alerts. I am getting email alerts, double cool.

However, for this forum to require a uniform face, I.e., profile then it must have the same uniform face across platforms. LOL, fat chance.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
when you go to recent discussions and click on a post when it comes up, just slide to the top of the list and you will see what forum it is on. I had to take an ass chewing a few times before I figured this out. On my motorcycle forum, it is right there with the recent discussions post and you don't have to go look.

I agree with the signatures. That should be a mandatory sign up. It would stop a lot of confusion and help on making us all know what we are talking about.

Actually, cavie, I happen to agree with your last sentence. Signatures would help tremendously, but, if it is mandatory then there must be a whole lot of hand holding going on before the person’s post for help. Which will slow down responses, frustrate users and be less friendly. (IMO)

I love it when a newbie hollers, “Help” and there are four to six people answering. Yes, it does slow solution but frankly the poster (from my experience) does not feel alone.