Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

FRF App for Tablets & SmartPhones

First off, let's try to keep this as device agnostic as possible and focus on the feature set of the FRF app for our particular devices.

When going between the Web interface on your favorite browser and the FRF app on your mobile device, what features do you miss? What would you like to see in the next version of the app? Any pet peeves?

I'll start the ball rolling! Here are mine:
  1. when I get email on my mobile device that alerts me to a new forum post, clicking on the email link automatically switches me to my mobile browser which, of course pops up the helpful dialog asking me to get the FRF app for my device!! (which I already have!)
    1. It would be MUCH more helpful if the developers could insert code that tests for platform and if it is a mobile device and if the FRF app is installed, go to the post insteat of launching the mobile web browser!
  2. When I am using the "Web view" on my tablet - or for that fact, any reply view, I wish I could tap to select smiley icons to insert in my replies just like I can on a desktop web browser (note: this does not work on a mobile device even if you are in web view)
In closing, no I am not the developer or do I even know them...but I DO suspect the developers review the forum occasionaly (or forum management will pass info to them) so this is a chance to maybe get features we would like in the mobile app!

Aside: So why the push for app parity? A week ago I challenged myself to see if I could cut the PC cord and go completely tablet/smartphone. I envision the day where we can foregoe PCs completely and just rely on our tablets, smartphones and whatever micromobile device they decide we should wear

So far I have been surprisingly successful both personally and professionaly in all but one area (which was completely expected): Photography. I am a semi-professional and, unfortunately, tablets are just not there with the apps or processing power-yet! (give em a year or two though ad I bet!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Always Learning

I'd like to see some of the customizations that Social Knowledge have done with the forum carry into the app:

1) The groups functionality would be really nice to be integrated into the app

2) The "Thanks" feature (I do this regularly if I'm at my computer, but not if I'm in the app and I'm too lazy to switch to the web view to get at it)

3) I'd like to see the actual forum signatures carry into the app (maybe with a setting to detect if they should only be included if on WiFi or not because the concern is speed and data size)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

im assuming you mean the frf main app but lets not forget there is also the tapatalk app as well....then the desktop version

so far the only two things that have me going to my desktop from time to time are issues inserting images, and not being able to see others sigs when they ask for help, and we dont know their vehicle specifcs. i have pretty much gone to tablet/phone for 98% of my browsing at home...ive found that my desktop is called on when i need a lot of processing power/speed or i need to type a whole lot.....full size keyboard is way faster than my tablet docking keyboard to type on...and a lot of times when i doing work i need the numeric keypad for invoicing....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
im assuming you mean the frf main app but lets not forget there is also the tapatalk app as well....then the desktop version
OK to clarify --

I was talking about the FRF app that is standalone on iPad or android versus the web-based forum interface.

I downloaded TapaTalk but could never get it to reliabiliy work with any of the websited that had their own custom apps (e.g. FRF) Am I doing somethign wrong?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

I use all android, but all my tapatalk sites work fine....the frf one sticks as much on the standalone as it does with tapatalk for me..?

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Always Learning

The standalone app is simply a custom-branded Tapatalk app.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

FRF App for Tablets & SmartPhones

To get back on topic:

What I'd like in the app (only have ipad brand so don't know if these are missing from the others)

1) Ability to thank
2) Emoticons
3) Limit search to sub-forum (ie, only search in modifications, etc...)

At that same time, I find I use the app more because I prefer the way I see the timeline and the subscribed posts. The 'latest 10' approach of the webpage just doesn't cut it for me. I'd love to see some of the apps functionality in that area come over to the web browser.

Edit: Almost forgot. I'm also hit or miss on the way the app launches external URLs. In some ways I prefer being within the app to provide an easy back, but at other times I wish it'd open in my browser so I can bookmark, follow links and go back, etc... If I followed a URL, then followed another one, I almost always end up hitting the 'back to thread' arrow at the top instead of the 'back in the internal browser' button at the bottom.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
3) Limit search to sub-forum (ie, only search in modifications, etc...)
Kaadk, I think the app does this. Slide in from the left to display the menu. Touch "Browse" and then drill down to the forum that you want to search. Slide your finger down on the list of threads and a "Search" box shows up at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
At that same time, I find I use the app more because I prefer the way I see the timeline and the subscribed posts. The 'latest 10' approach of the webpage just doesn't cut it for me. I'd love to see some of the apps functionality in that area come over to the web browser.
For me, I use the "New Posts" feature of the website almost exclusively. It's up in the green bar. It keeps track of threads that you have viewed and only shows you those that you haven't viewed and have new posts since you last looked at that thread:

It's more than the "latest 10". It'll go back through pages worth.

For the Subscribed threads, in the green bar is a menu for "Quick Links". In there is a Subscribed Threads option.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

OK, good to know. You learn something new everyday. So amend my recommendations to "I wish the subscribed/new posts threads were more prominent."
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I get exactly what i want on my BlackBerry using the android app.

Brian

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #11

Can not find a place to log out of mobil app iphone?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just thought of a new one. I don't see a spot to print. Not that I print more than like twice a year, but it would be nice to do it from the ipad instead switching to the desktop.