Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #41
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
~snip~

But my point is and remains - Forest River has the ability to change the web site behavior back to what it was several months ago when the site worked well.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Forest River doesn't own this site. It is owned by Social Knowledge, LLC

I don't have any issues with it in any of my OS or browsers. However I keep tracking to a minimum and use AdBlock.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #42

FRF Site Problem

I use Android Phone, Tablet, Kindle, Windows and Chrome on computers for 3 years now and do not have your issues. I doubt it is the site. It could be a setting in the OS and how your browser is set up in regards to how it handles the connection to FRF. Problems like those you are experiencing can be very elusive. Hope you get a tech that can pin down the cause for you.
1nshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #43
Site Team

As noted earlier, Forest River Inc doesn't own or manage this site. We work pretty hard to keep the site running smoothly and I'm sorry you are having problems. Here are somethings you can do:

1. Run a full system scan to make sure you don't have unwanted adware. I like Malwarebytes but there are other good options available.

2. Make sure that you are logged in when viewing the site - you will see fewer ads.

3. Enable cookie exchange with the site - we use cookies to keep you logged in and help page navigation.

It's worth noting that we do run ads on this site - mostly via Googles adsense program and we specifically exclude popup ads. If you are seeing these, something is amiss. we do occasionally have some video ads that run in the top corner of the page but they aren't activated unless you mouse over them so you might avoid that if you find them bothersome.

Ads help keep the doors open and support server expenses, programming costs and licensing. We do our best to find balance in this regard but understand that some folks just hate ads. If there is sufficient interest we might consider setting up a supporting membership program that would allow subscribers to disable some or all ads as an option, but currently we don;t have anything like this in place.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #44

One thing to check: open Chrome, Settings, On Startup. If you have "open a specific page or set of pages" I'd go back to the default, "open a new tab".
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
Its interesting that no one wants to take any time to at least investigate the site. There may very well be nothing wrong but to put the OP off and tell them, "its not the sites fault" is bad business. FRF is certainly entertaining for sure.
I cannot necessarily agree with this statement/assessment, as per my post #7 in this thread, I am offering to try and troubleshoot the problem. We have to have a starting point.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #46
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Fred, you need to reset your browser to the default settings.
Your browser is not configured properly.

Select Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	125694   Click image for larger version

Name:	reset browser.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	125695  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #47

Herk i think Fred is doing his searching from work he can't change anything
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #48

I will not be accessing this site during breaks or lunch any more from my work computer.

Whether it is our IT folks clamping down on outside tracking or the FRF site is more aggressive with its 3rd party tracking doesn't matter - the result is the same.

For my current job, I do a lot of supplier research and pricing on the web. I do not run into these issues on their sites. I run into occasional instances of 2-3 extra pages (consecutively in the same window) on some consumer sites, but no other site besides FRF causes 20+ extra pages.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #49

For kicks and grins, I loaded this site from 3 different laptops, one running Chrome, one running Firefox and one running Windows 98 (I still use that for programming my CNC machines, and all loaded this site just fine.

Quick load, no issue. I only have Ad block on the Chrome laptop, the other 2 have no shareware programs.

That leads me to the conclusion that you have internal browser issues. Not this site.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #50

Give em hell Fred!!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #51

Fred, I would PM "Janet H" as her most recent post is the best I have seen yet. At least she is willing to admit that nothing is perfect. Three cheers Janet!!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #52

Quote:
I will not be accessing this site during breaks or lunch any more from my work computer.

Whether it is our IT folks clamping down on outside tracking or the FRF site is more aggressive with its 3rd party tracking doesn't matter - the result is the same.

For my current job, I do a lot of supplier research and pricing on the web. I do not run into these issues on their sites. I run into occasional instances of 2-3 extra pages (consecutively in the same window) on some consumer sites, but no other site besides FRF causes 20+ extra pages.

Fred W
It has been a few years back but I found a cell phone at our local farmers market & none of us could figure out how to turn it on. We asked the 1st kid that walked by & she had it calling home in seconds (for the owner to come get it). You might be in that position too, a little hands on help goes a long way.

Please note that you should not be getting 2-3 extra pages opening let alone 20+. Both computers need some help.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #53

"It has been a few years back but I found a cell phone at our local farmers market & none of us could figure out how to turn it on. We asked the 1st kid that walked by & she had it calling home in seconds (for the owner to come get it). You might be in that position too, a little hands on help goes a long way"
What is it you are trying to say?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #54

I turned on the "trace" feature in Firefox yesterday to watch what was being loaded.

FRF loads first, and pretty quickly. As I said, I have third party cookies disabled in Firefox, and they are turned off at work in Internet Explorer by our IT folks. Third party cookies are used and read for advertising placement by third parties who pay to place ads. Google is the biggest and most common of the 3rd party ad placements - and I can see repeated access by Google web sites (as well as other advertisers) after the FRF page has loaded.

It is these third party sites that are linked to FRF that are slowing the FRF web page to a crawl, and giving me numerous page reloads. Apparently, the advertisers have turned up the aggressive behavior. When they don't find their 3rd party cookie on my computer, their web site keeps trying to load a cookie, and simultaneously refreshes the ads they are loading - hence a new/refreshed FRF web page while making my scrolling and/or replies very slow and unresponsive.

Sports sites tend to have the same issues. But businesses do not because it is more important for me to get my order through than it is to saturate me with ads.

Ad blocking is a sort of solution (only usable on computers I control). But even Ad Block is allowing certain ads to appear (those that pay Ad Block to get through) unless I spring for the "premium" version.

I could enable 3rd party cookies, and accept being tracked across the web and reported back to the cookie owner. Facebook and Twitter do this to anybody who has an account with them. Google tries to do this when you use Google to search.

My request is simply this: have Google and other ad placement companies scale back their use of 3rd party cookies and ad cycling on FRF.

Fred W
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #55

1st.I do not understand why you seem to be having all these issues with FRFs.
2nd. You must really like this site i would of simply left if it aggravated me as much as it does you. Kudos for hanging in there.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #56

and 3rd. Most of us don't seem to have these problems. 4th. If the ads bother you that much start a fund so the site team does not need the ads.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #57
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
and 3rd. Most of us don't seem to have these problems. 4th. If the ads bother you that much start a fund so the site team does not need the ads.
X 2 I have never had issues using this site and have ad a block which cost me nothing and I never get one add when I log in. Sounds like issues at work messing up your ability to use this site on there dime. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
1st.I do not understand why you seem to be having all these issues with FRFs.
2nd. You must really like this site i would of simply left if it aggravated me as much as it does you. Kudos for hanging in there.
I really do like the site. I have learned a lot, and made many improvements on my A-frame based on what I have learned. Some examples:
1) replaced my converter with a PD converter - the stock converter did not meet its own specs.
2) went to 6V golf cart batteries
3) installed a computer cooling fan on the fridge exhaust grill.

One of my next projects - which also came from FRF - is to install combination thumb latches/keyed locks on all the outside storage doors.

I just wish this site would work as well as it did a few months ago. But we all know how wishing with one hand works out. So I just access the site from home, and put up with the annoying page reloads.

Fred W