Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Giving Up - FRF is too slow, opens too many pages

The title says it all. Using FRF has become too painful for the enjoyment and help get out of it.

I've used both Internet Explorer and Firefox at home and at work. Every time I try to back track, I discover FRF has opened dozens of pages. While I'm reading a post, the busy sign is constantly on because the site is forcing ads and tracking me. I understand the need to have ads to pay for maintenance of the web site. But it has long passed the point of usability.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Arches and Capitol Reef NPs
planning: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Rocky Mountain NPs, possible return to Custer SP South Dakota
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

You have something else going on. I don't have any of those issues on a very old system. It is clean though. Major Geeks is a good site to help you clean your computer.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or Windows 10.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It isn't FRF that is the problem but rather how you have your browser(s) set up.
You must have yours set so it opens a new tab (page) for every link you click on.

Also the use of add-ons like AdBlock Plus will eliminate the ads and help those with limited bandwidth enjoy a much quicker page load.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

It's not that the site loads new pages, it keeps reloading the same page with new garbage, slowing everything to a crawl. The browser back button is filled with 20-30 instances of the same page. Other sites - Yahoo (occasionally), Fox News, sports sites - do similar, but none to the extent of FRF.

Yes, I can tweak my browser at home or put in an ad blocker. But is that really the right answer? Or is that the site should police itself to keep it usable by people who don't want to be bothered tweaking their browser or installing browser add-ons?

You can blame me all you want. But that doesn't make the site any easier to use. I know I'm not the only one with these kind of complaints about FRF. With the likely near-term demise of the independent pop-up camper forums, FRF has been the best source of information about my A-frame. But if the gain is not worth the pain, membership is going to dwindle here, too.

While I have been typing this, the input has slowed to a crawl as my back button has again overflowed.

Fred W
Old 11-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
It's not that the site loads new pages, it keeps reloading the same page with new garbage, slowing everything to a crawl. The browser back button is filled with 20-30 instances of the same page. Other sites - Yahoo (occasionally), Fox News, sports sites - do similar, but none to the extent of FRF.
Yes, I can tweak my browser at home or put in an ad blocker. But is that really the right answer? Or is that the site should police itself to keep it usable by people who don't want to be bothered tweaking their browser or installing browser add-ons?
I know I'm not the only one with these kind of complaints about FRF. With the likely near-term demise of the independent pop-up camper forums, FRF has been the best source of information about my A-frame. But if the gain is not worth the pain, membership is going to dwindle here, too.

While I have been typing this, the input has slowed to a crawl as my back button has again overflowed.

Fred W
I'm pretty sure most ad-blockers are free and are usually well worth the few minutes it takes to install them.

Are you sure you don't have a virus or possibly some malware on your computer? I've never heard anyone complain about the same page loading multiple times.

I've never had a single problem with ads or the site slowing down since I've been a member here.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

FRF is not the problem i have never had the issues are describing I use chrome and IE both have never had a problem my money says you have a bug of some kind
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
The browser back button is filled with 20-30 instances of the same page.
Howdy pgandw, I am with the site team here on FRF and am going to try to see if I can help.

I'm not really understanding why if you hit the back button, you would have another instance of the same page. The browser back button should take you to the previous page, which takes the place of the current open page in your browser.

You should only have one page open.

If you would like we might can troubleshoot how your computer/browser is set up...and see if we can get it sorted out.

Here is one instance of a FF add-on causing problems and how to fix it:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/837688

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

Had a similar problem with other forums so I downloaded an app called TapTalk which monitors all of my selected forums. This app poles all the forums and threads on my schedule. Not a big forum or even app guy but I have been using this for about 2 months and it works really smooth for me.
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

I access FRF using 4 different devices: a laptop, desktop, phone, and tablet. Haven't experienced any of the problems you are describing. I'm betting you have the same type of problems on other similar sites. Have you tried using the site with the phone app? I don't see FRF dwindling at all in the future as it is a great site!! Good luck with your computer!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #10

I use a Mac most of the time running Chrome or Safari. At time I use a PC with IE, Chrome or firefox all work flawlessly. Sounds like a computer problem of some sort.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Don't give up

Quote:
The title says it all. Using FRF has become too painful for the enjoyment and help get out of it.

I've used both Internet Explorer and Firefox at home and at work. Every time I try to back track, I discover FRF has opened dozens of pages. While I'm reading a post, the busy sign is constantly on because the site is forcing ads and tracking me. I understand the need to have ads to pay for maintenance of the web site. But it has long passed the point of usability.

Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Arches and Capitol Reef NPs
planning: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Rocky Mountain NPs, possible return to Custer SP South Dakota
I use Chrome, and I haven't had any problems like those you describe. So don't give up! You must have a hi-jacked browser. We all know about these problems and how frustrating they can be, but the problem is definitely on your end. I use Avast, CCleaner, and Malwarebytes, and I no longer have problems. Stick with it, correct the problems, and enjoy the forums! Please let us know how it goes.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #12

No issues here. Sounds like a bug or you need ad blocker. Definitely an issues with your set up. I use my iPhone and iMac and have never had a problem.

Old TV- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (Hemi)- towing vehicle

DanoHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #13

Don't you mean "polls"?
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Site Team

Some other things you might try:

1. Running a malware bytes scan (free download)
2. Logout, delete cookies and cache then try again.

I'm sorry you are having trouble but it sounds like you either have something unwanted on your system or perhaps a corrupted login cookie.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

Spybot < free download.

I don't have any issues with this website.

I remember my dad always complaining that his computer was giving him grief and when I got into it to fix it, I'd seen every website that he's been on and that gave me a really good idea about all the bots/spyware/malware that he clicked on not understanding the ramifications.

Rule #1 don't click on popups.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #16
Newb

If all the suggestions above don't work.

I'd get a USB drive or a external drive and backup your personal stuff. Then do a factory reinstall or better yet a fresh install of the OS you prefer.

Good Luck
Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #17

I had bothersome issue where popups, while on FRF, opened and began playing audio. No one else was seeing (hearing) these. It wasn't FRF website; Since I use Chrome, I found and installed AdBlocker, its an extension, works great, and its free. No more intrusive ads, life is good. I would look at extensions and see if someone has been up to no good. Go to Settings, select Extensions (on the left) and see what's there.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm pretty sure most ad-blockers are free and are usually well worth the few minutes it takes to install them.

Are you sure you don't have a virus or possibly some malware on your computer? I've never heard anyone complain about the same page loading multiple times.

I've never had a single problem with ads or the site slowing down since I've been a member here.
Ad Blocker is the bane of website owners. I never mention it but I use it constantly. Spy Bot is good as well. Both are freeware on CNet. So is CCleaner (the free version that is). I run all 3 daily.

I see some sites (like Newsmax) are now requesting you turn off Ad Blocker. I don't because I don't want to read ads that I have no interest in.

Ad Block has blocked 187, 000 plus ads since I reset it a month ago, 5 on this page alone just now.

Some forums I participate on, are PPV forums where a membership removes ads.

Additionally, this site always loads super fast for me. No issues what so ever and never gave been.

I'm a website owner myself, a .com site btw.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #19

Blocked ads:
9 on this page
122,052 in total

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #20

Did a little more research into what is happening. FRF uses Google (as many sites do) to track you and figure which ads to display. I don't use Chrome on my home computer for that reason - it enables Google tracking. I use Firefox at home, and have "Do not track" turned on. Not that "do not track" always works - many web sites don't honor it.

FRF works pretty well most of the time on Firefox. Occasionally, I'll get 1 or 2 extra copies of the page.

FRF works fine on my Android phone, which of course uses Chrome for the browser (I may change it out for Firefox in the near future). I notice that not all web page features are enabled on my phone, such as the link to first unread post in a thread.

At work, our computers are pretty locked down. And we have to use Internet Explorer. It is there I have the most problems. That's probably because most of the tracking and cookies are prevented from loading because of corporate IT policies.

But my point is and remains - Forest River has the ability to change the web site behavior back to what it was several months ago when the site worked well.

Fred W