Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

Grumpy Old Man Time

Time to let the grump out, why is it I have to keep seeing the same video play in each post I visit? Yes I know, login and problem solved but I don't generally log into any site unless I have something to say/post. Yes I get your a for profit web site, but really the same video over and over and over?

FYI I'm already a subscriber to the Camper Report so I've seen the video as soon as it comes out.

Really annoying.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #2

Geez, what a grump!
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
Open Space Wanted

I typically use a computer with a web browser and don't see videos. Today I logged in on my mobile and every link had an annoying video as well. I can see not being logged in and seeing that but not while logged in. Glad I rarely browse the web on an annoying small screen.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
I typically use a computer with a web browser and don't see videos. Today I logged in on my mobile and every link had an annoying video as well. I can see not being logged in and seeing that but not while logged in. Glad I rarely browse the web on an annoying small screen.
Those of us that use the FRF phone app, never see any annoying videos and easily post pics in our posts. The app is much easier to read also. Lots of advantages to the app.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Those of us that use the FRF phone app, never see any annoying videos and easily post pics in our posts. The app is much easier to read also. Lots of advantages to the app.

Agree
Old 05-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
D W

I have no idea what video you're talking about.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Time to let the grump out, why is it I have to keep seeing the same video play in each post I visit? Yes I know, login and problem solved but I don't generally log into any site unless I have something to say/post. Yes I get your a for profit web site, but really the same video over and over and over?

FYI I'm already a subscriber to the Camper Report so I've seen the video as soon as it comes out.

Really annoying.
The problem is that the website just sees you as a random new person (not a member with an account) if you aren't logged in. I stay logged in and avoid any of these headaches.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
the problem is that the website just sees you as a random new person (not a member with an account) if you aren't logged in. I stay logged in and avoid any of these headaches.
what he said ^^^

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
The problem is that the website just sees you as a random new person (not a member with an account) if you aren't logged in. I stay logged in and avoid any of these headaches.
It also makes it very difficult to know which threads have been updated with new posts since your last visit.

On every message board I'm on, I just stay logged in all the time. No reason not to really.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
This is true for me. I use the full site on my laptop and on my smart phone - and I'm always logged in - and I always run an ad blocker. I don't see on either device the ads/videos about which the complaint was raised.

Secondly, any comment that the app is much easier to use is a matter of opinion published as fact. If anyone can use the app and actually locate items for which you need to search, my opinion is that you have super powers I do not have.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I have no idea what video you're talking about.
When you visit the forum on your computer and are NOT logged in, you'll see the big video in between posts. If you're always logged in, you'll not see it.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #12

And stay off my grass!
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #13

Is there a way to have the app open when you click the new comment link from email? My iPhone opens in Safari where I’m logged in, but I still get the video plus the annoying prompt to share my location.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #14
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

I don't use "apps" that are dumbed down versions of web pages. I don't need 50 "apps" when I can use one web browser. This was an observation for something I typically don't do. Other web sites I do visit if needed are used in desktop mode which I didn't try this site with it enabled.

Guess people skim on their "app" and miss things like "I logged in on my mobile".
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
When you visit the forum on your computer and are NOT logged in, you'll see the big video in between posts. If you're always logged in, you'll not see it.

Well something happened, no longer seeing that video or for that matter, any video on my home laptop when not logged in. So Grumpy Old Man must have made a difference.

Oh yea,Grumpy Old Man says "stay off my lawn"!

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This is true for me. I use the full site on my laptop and on my smart phone - and I'm always logged in - and I always run an ad blocker. I don't see on either device the ads/videos about which the complaint was raised.

Secondly, any comment that the app is much easier to use is a matter of opinion published as fact. If anyone can use the app and actually locate items for which you need to search, my opinion is that you have super powers I do not have.
I have never seen the videos, don't use the app, sometimes read the comments logged in, sometimes not. However, I find the "auto run" videos on sites so annoying...or God forbid my cursor goes anywhere a link that will suddenly open when all I want to do is scroll down. There are settings in the browser and on the phone for allowing videos to play the moment you go near them, and you can shut off that feature so they will only play if actually click "play" on them, but more and more the software is allowing the videos to bypass that setting and just start playing. I have to learn how to block companies that do that, because if they don't respect my wishes/settings, I do not want to become a customer. Just saying.
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #17

I browse the forum on my computer with Google Chrome. I've got uBlock Origin installed and it cuts out a lot of the advertising. Apparently the video too, since I don't see it.
Coast Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote