Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

gumgum. What the heck is this???

Everytime I try to 'go advanced' to upload a photo from my Macbook, go into 'manage attachments', there is all this activity going on in lower let corner of window, all kinds of stuff downloading and uploading. Is this advertisement crap? This 'gumgum' thing keeps locking my Firefox browser up, swirling circle of death that won't go away until I close out of browser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.59.28 AM.png
Views:	76
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	248447  
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

I have no such issue with my upload window on my iMac (nor have I seen it on MacBook).

However I also use Adblock Plus as a Safari extension, so all ads are for the most part blocked out. You might want to try that. It does not disrupt Safari. Some sites will insist you remove the ad blocker (white list their site), and that will be your choice to continue with that site or leave.

By the way, "GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising and sports industries."

GumGum does include a tracker that should be blocked by your Safari tracker blocking that is now built-in if you are current on updates. (Open a blank Safari page and look for the Privacy Report that tells you how many trackers it has blocked.) I have reported to the moderators here that this forum uses an excessive number of web traffic cross-trackers, but I was told that's the way it is and users are told of this through Terms of Service. Between Safari and Adblock Plus, you can get rid of most of these intruders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.11.36 AM.png
Views:	76
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	248448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.18.31 AM.png
Views:	68
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	248450  
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks. This forum killed my Safari browser, I had to stop using Safari because I started getting all these pop up windows. now it appears to be messing my Firefox up. The problem happens more times than not when I click on 'choose file' to upload a pic from computer.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #4

Or. Use Tapatalk and never see an ad period.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Or. Use Tapatalk and never see an ad period.
And while Tapatalk and the green FR app are good alternatives, there are some things this forum just won't allow you to do in the app. You HAVE to use a web browser.

Besides, if I'm staring at a computer all day for work ( as many of us do) there really is no need for having to fire up a mobile app as well. I pretty much use the app exclusively in the evenings though.

I understand this forum supports ads to help pay the bills. It does get overwhelming at times without help from ad blockers and tracker stoppers though.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

This may be a matter of my storage on macbook nearly being full, then all this ad crap pushing it over edge. I hate using my phone for stuff, no keyboard, screen too small. I do all messaging and websurfing on macbook, 15 inch screen. People on this forum using 'app' don't have full functionality. For example, those few times people create 'polls', they apparently can't see that.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
This may be a matter of my storage on macbook nearly being full, then all this ad crap pushing it over edge. I hate using my phone for stuff, no keyboard, screen too small. I do all messaging and websurfing on macbook, 15 inch screen. People on this forum using 'app' don't have full functionality. For example, those few times people create 'polls', they apparently can't see that.

True. I can’t participate in a poll, but I also don’t have to put up with the ads and problems it causes. But, I don’t sit in front of a computer for work either.
When I look out my office window, I see things like this.

Name:	IMG_9080.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	249270
I don’t know how anyone can sit in front of a computer all day. Makes my eyes and head hurt.