Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #1

How to insert images on an Iphone

I wanted to insert an image, using the Safari browser on my Iphone. With the mobile or full site version it asks for an url, and I don’t know what that means. I’m trying to insert an image from my camera roll.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #2

Sign up for an imgur.com account (it’s free). Upload the pix as a “hidden” pix. After uploading, view the pix and place your finger on it (or right click if not using a phone or pad) and select “copy link”. It takes about 7-8 seconds to do that from the phone. That copies the URL data which you then put in the forum post.

It’s fast, free and accurate, meaning the images don’t get rotated sideways or upside down. That rotation problem is unique to FRF...never had that happen with any other forum.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I wanted to insert an image, using the Safari browser on my Iphone. With the mobile or full site version it asks for an url, and I don’t know what that means. I’m trying to insert an image from my camera roll.

You can upload your pics (subject to size limitations) directly to the threads from your phone......... or you can link to pics stored on other places on the world wide web. A URL is the web address of things, and shows where it's located on the web.

Like this thread we are talking in has a web address (URL) of:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eply&p=2128161

This post link below (which is it's URL) may help explain how to upload pics from your phone...as well as inserting them via an URL.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post49621

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

That rotation problem is unique to FRF...

It's a lot more common than you may think. This explains why pics get loaded sideways or upside down. A google search of this problem will turn up thousands of hits with similar information as below for upside down/sideways pics. This first link has pics of how to hold the phone (which is only ONE way):

Why your iPhone pictures are sideways (and how to fix them)

Are you on an Apple device?

If so: This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.

Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your iphone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your iphone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here) If you take the photo in portrait mode with the volume buttons on the left or right, the photo will display sideways.

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).

Hope that helps!

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's a lot more common than you may think. This explains why pics get loaded sideways or upside down. A google search of this problem will turn up thousands of hits with similar information as below for upside down/sideways pics. This first link has pics of how to hold the phone (which is only ONE way):

Why your iPhone pictures are sideways (and how to fix them)

Are you on an Apple device?

If so: This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.

Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your phone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your phone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here).

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).

Hope that helps!
Much faster to use a storage site similar to Imgur.com. Three other forums I participate in allow posting direct from the iPhone, but the software used on their end is better. These are all paid forums. One uses vBulletin..not sure about the others.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Much faster to use a storage site similar to Imgur.com. Three other forums I participate in allow posting direct from the iPhone, but the software used on their end is better. These are all paid forums. One uses vBulletin..not sure about the others.
Not sure about faster, as you do have to upload the images at least one time to Imgur before you can link to them. If it's just a one-off thing, it probably wouldn't save any time than just uploading them direct to the forums.

Another concern with using a third party hosting site, is that they could change their policy at any time, thus rendering the photos stored there unattainable for posts here. Photobucket did just that.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...se-139234.html

That's why it is preferred to upload the photos here, on our servers, especially if it is something that is important to a fix-it type thread.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
Site Team

I use the Tapatalk app to post pics from my iPhone. It has never posted a pic in the incorrect orientation.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not sure about faster, as you do have to upload the images at least one time to Imgur before you can link to them. If it's just a one-off thing, it probably wouldn't save any time than just uploading them direct to the forums.

Another concern with using a third party hosting site, is that they could change their policy at any time, thus rendering the photos stored there unattainable for posts here. Photobucket did just that.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...se-139234.html

That's why it is preferred to upload the photos here, on our servers, especially if it is something that is important to a fix-it type thread.
Yep...remember the Photobucket thing. I just checked and it takes 14 seconds to take a pix with the iPhone, upload it to Imgur and then copy the link. It probably could be faster but I’m using a Verizon MiFi hotspot in an area that only gives me about two MBPS upload speeds.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I’m trying to insert an image from my camera roll.
I hope you're not talking about a roll of film!🤤[emoji1]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote