Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

No FaceBook please

I understand people think they are being helpful, but would you please stop asking people to go join some group on FaceBook? We are posting here because we are reading these forums. Many people are not interested in selling their soul to join the abomination that is FaceBook.

This is a forum were people can post and read content without the burdensome of all that other sites bring with it. It's not something you must join to simply be even to read what's there. This is exactly what many people want.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Please do not "mine" our membership to add "friends" to your social media site.
This is prohibited behavior.

Anyone doing this will be pilloried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rutabega-pillory.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	28886  
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Team

OK, I hear you but Facebook is what you make it. You can choose to put your life story there or you can choose to share only a few words and or photos with a brother half way around the world or a grandson across town.....

I just hooked up with the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center in Berea KY on Facebook and
bought a pack of heirloom butter bean seeds. These seeds were gathered by a man walking home after the civil war. They have been in his family for generations. Now I have some!!
Facebook isn't all bad is all I'm sayin..... my 2¢

And I'm posting this response to ask you all to "play nice" with your replies please!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I just hooked up with the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center in Berea KY on Facebook and
bought a pack of heirloom butter bean seeds. These seeds were gathered by a man walking home after the civil war. They have been in his family for generations. Now I have some!!
Facebook isn't all bad is all I'm sayin..... my 2¢
How freaking cool is that?! I'm slowly learning to save my seeds.

I follow a lot of other surburban "farmers" like myself on facebook... it's fun to see what other innovations people use stuck in our cookie cutter subdivisions.

As you were....

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Always Learning

treaves - (read this as another member and not a moderator)

I appreciate your concern, but many users find usefulness in both websites and don't see a problem with it. (It does seem to be quite often by a couple of users- but I see no harm in it.)

I use Facebook quite often, but almost solely for family & friends-related reasons. Though, I did just use it for getting some answers about the Wood Brick Fuel products since the company didn't respond to email.

However, you seem very angry against Facebook. Perhaps your real name is Inigo Montoya?

I did not, in fact, have to sell my soul to join. I also have tightened my security controls to limit who can access what on my profile, pictures, etc. I have also disabled all apps from sharing my data with other websites. I'm not sure what "the burdensome of all that other sites brings with it" implies.

As well - there are many portions of Facebook that you don't need to login to read. That is up to the individual page owners to decide.

Just sayin'.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

I am in the 'hate-Facebook' camp.
People may think they have raised the security on their Facebook pages, but I think they would be surprised to find out just how insecure it really is.
Facebook, along with other garbage like Twitter, are cancers on society.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #7

I don't necessarily think social media are an abomination. But if I want to give people information about myself, I call them up and tell them. Or send an email to them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I must have missed something. .......
Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I must have missed something. .......
Yeah, I dunno. Somehow we stumbled on a minefield. This is a public board with no privacy. No one can access my facebook without being a friend, and I use it to share my family's adventures with grandparents and friends hundreds of miles away. Not sure how that's a cancer. People can access the pictures and posts on here without being a member. So what's more secure?

previous owner of
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I am in the 'hate-Facebook' camp.
People may think they have raised the security on their Facebook pages, but I think they would be surprised to find out just how insecure it really is.
Facebook, along with other garbage like Twitter, are cancers on society.
I actually am pretty well "in the know". And yes- more information is made available that you'd guess (even when you try and lock it down- which I have).

But, what makes social networking a cancer on society?

I'm able to keep in touch with family and friends from across the world. I don't have time to talk to everyone on the phone or even directly via emails.

Heck, because I'm in the club, I am friends with other parents whose kids have cancer. I like knowing how little Johnny or little Maria are doing. Or, for those whose kids have died - I like to check on the parents.

Facebook makes it easy. It consolidates the information into one simple spot. When I see goodness with family and friends, I congratulate them. When I see badness, I send messages to try and support them. (Heck, I've done the same on here - does that make this board the same "cancer on society"?)

If you don't like it- great. But, jeez - don't be angry about it. There are many worse things to hate.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #11

Maybe this was directed at me ? I know I posted a few links to Lynx Levelers FB page because they have promotions going on there, and I wanted people who might not know about it to know. We will have a choice to join or not to join FB.

If it is against the board rules to inform members about promotions, give aways etc, I surely will refrain from doing so in the future. My logic was, we are all campers, free levelers, caps, woohoo, I gotta let know my FRF friends know about it. I do not think anyone should feel forced to join a group because someone posts about it ?

I understand we are all different and have different expectations. I personally prefer an environment where people do post relevant stuff, and I get to choose what I want to do with that information, ignore it, join it, not read it etc.

I am sure a moderator will let me know if I was out of line.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

One message board that I'm on (cruising), which has THEIR OWN facebook page, prohibits members from giving out their facebook information or creating roll call facebook groups. Because they want any and all traffic related to their topic to be on their board. But really, facebook is a much easier medium for people to interact and share files or schedule events. It's ridiculous.

Still doesn't stop people from creating them and using them, obviously. LOL. Because it just works better for that specific purpose.

previous owner of
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I read that as a PM issue. If I was wrong I will shut this down.

Solicitation to join any site is prohibited.

Posting a link to a site is for the convenience of the membership and not a solicitation. We routinely post links to eBay, Camping World, and Amazon for example without any indication that we want you to set up accounts there.

I have been directed to links on Diesel Truck websites, Newspapers, News Channels, and Forums that have information germane to the discussion at hand. Some have requested me to "register" for access. Just click the red X and the registration window goes away.

Most of us have Facebook accounts, but not all. Facebook has a privacy setting that a member can use to prevent "non-friends" from looking at photos and content. If you click a link in a post to a Facebook page and you get an offer to join; just close the window and move on.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

The OP specifically said be was talking about members here asking people to join their Facebook groups to share information. He's not talking about someone posting a reference to FB-something there.

I somewhat agree with him on both points. It doesn't mean that your particular use of Facebook is bad, but in some ways FB has replaced the possibility that people might learn to think or have real relationships. It is affecting society (no one will argue that point) and not always in a good way.

As for using it to give information to groups of people who are on these fora, it does have the advantage that a "liked page" is a "broadcast" method of disseminating information (different from a subscribed thread in that Turbs can't hijack it). But I get it; we shouldn't be forced to connect with someone on Facebook in order to get information that we thought was available here.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I understand people think they are being helpful, but would you please stop asking people to go join some group on FaceBook? We are posting here because we are reading these forums. Many people are not interested in selling their soul to join the abomination that is FaceBook.

This is a forum were people can post and read content without the burdensome of all that other sites bring with it. It's not something you must join to simply be even to read what's there. This is exactly what many people want.
This is very simple, if asked to join anything that you don't want to join, just don't join. This way everybody has a choice.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like this is spiraling out of control...the OP made his point and the thread is now locked.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Closed Thread