Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

Password

When I logged back in tonight to the forum, I had to use my password. Of course it did not work. So, I went through the motions of getting a new one. The one that was sent worked, so I tried then to enter a new password, how can I find out what my password is now to get back into the forum. I do not know if the password I entered actually was received?
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We can reset passwords, but we don't have access to your current or any past passwords. Request another password reset, and when changing that to what you want, be extra careful of the lettering and numbering of the password, and also capital letters. The password has to be exact.

Many times I have tried to log in to websites, only to find my Caps Lock on. Could that be the problem ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

I had the same problem. I am a member of several forums and they all had that problem. They must share a common server. I had to request a new password also.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Team

If you clear the tracking cookies in your web browsers, you usually have to log back in to websites.

Sometimes your web browsers may clear the cookies themselves it seems when a certain alloted memory space is taken up. Here again, you will have to log back in to previously visited websites.

I use Firefox and to a lesser extent, Internet Explorer........and both of these browsers will let you save your passwords in them if you want. Even if you have to log back-in, the browser remembers your screenname and password if you saved it previously.

I bet the other browsers do the same too.

If you are concerned about saving your screenname or passwords on a computer that others may use, then you should give portable apps a try. You can put just about all the browsers on a USB flashdrive (along with many other free apps)......and then take the flashdrive itself from computer to computer. This way, you leave no trace on whatever host computer you use, and keep all your web browsing personalizations in the tip of your hand. And it's all free.

http://portableapps.com/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Always Learning

If all else fails, try the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. It'll let you contact the Help Desk who has a bit more power than us moderators. However, I'd doubt if even they can actually view your password.

In geekly terms, if you're interested...

Most times, passwords are stored as something called a one-way hash. What that means, is nothing can "decrypt" it. The way that systems work is that when you register or change your password, it's the one-way hash is generated and that *hash* value is stored in the database. When you login, the same one-way hash is performed and the 2 hashed values are compared against each other. Few systems actually compare plain text values against each other.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Site Team

We can give you a new password via the help desk, but can't retrieve an old one - we have no way to view the info. You don;t need to be logged in to use the contact link - but you will need to be patient - sometimes it take s few hours to get a response.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote