Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Selling my info?

I recently visited a topic on water filters, clicked on link to a replacement and replied to the topic. A day or so later, my wife had ads showing up on her Facebook page for RV water filters. A couple of days later, I was viewing that topic again and clicked on the water filter gaskets. Sure enough, she got an ad for water filter gaskets. How in the world is this popping up on her Facebook page? Don’t tell me it a coincidence.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

About everything you do on the internet is tracking you and trying to tailor ads for stuff you may purchase. Google, facebook, etc...they all do it. Here is an article that may help you a little in targeted ads from facebook.

Turn off targeted Facebook ads
To opt out of Facebook showing you targeted ads from other sites, or from seeing Facebook’s ads on other sites, open your Facebook page and click “settings,” and then “ads.”
Then click on the “ads based on my use of websites and apps” setting and press the “choose setting” button and select “off.” Once you turn this feature off, Facebook says you will still see the same number of ads, but they may be less relevant to you. It also won’t stop Facebook (and other companies) from tracking you. It simply means that information won’t be used to show ads targeted to you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Yep, we can simply Google something and later find Facebook ads on what we Googled.
This can happen from almost any website you visit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Site Team

More info:

https://www.wired.com/story/ways-fac...-you-limit-it/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Team

When you went to the link it stored a cookie on your system which FB uses to target ads. The link you went to is responsible not FRF.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #6

The issue you mention isn't that a site is selling your data, but rather that your web-browser is storing "Cookies" about your search and browser history. There are a few ways to deal with this issue: 1) tell your web browser to not store Cookies and search history; 2) periodically (often) clear your Cookies cache and/or your Internet History. It easy to block or reduce this problem, but each web browser is a little different about how you do this, so you may want to Google search something like: “how to prevent cookie tracking” or “how to clear search history” and follow the instructions for your browser.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
The issue you mention isn't that a site is selling your data, but rather that your web-browser is storing "Cookies" about your search and browser history. There are a few ways to deal with this issue: 1) tell your web browser to not store Cookies and search history; 2) periodically (often) clear your Cookies cache and/or your Internet History. It easy to block or reduce this problem, but each web browser is a little different about how you do this, so you may want to Google search something like: “how to prevent cookie tracking” or “how to clear search history” and follow the instructions for your browser.
I am using my iPad for most of my viewing this forum. I checked and block all cookies is enabled. I also use a private window for all internet use. Can’t understand why my wife is getting these ads and not me. My wife says it has to be our internet provider.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

With a VPN, an encrypted “tunnel” is created between you and a VPN server. All of your traffic goes through that server and appears to come from that server.

That would keep your ISP from seeing what you are searching for and which sites you are visiting. The sites you visit will see you as coming from the VPN server, not from your computer.

Just one more bit of privacy, helping to make others a more attractive target than you are. I use NordVPN. I change servers regularly, making me a moving target.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote