Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Suggestion for display of thread page numbers

Perhaps this has been discussed?

When a forum page is displayed it lists the most recently modified threads in that forum. Threads which have new posts are shown in bold. If a thread has multiple pages of posts that's shown with a list after the thread title:
Thread Title (# 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
This works ok if there's only one new post - you can always get to it via the "Last Page" link, or by the arrow link next to the poster's name. But if there have been multiple new posts the "Last Page" link may take the user beyond the first of the new posts.

It seems to me that it would be more useful to list the latest thread pages, rather than the earliest thread pages:
Thread Title (# ... 4 5 6 7 8)
That way, if there have been, say, 71 replies, I might choose to go to page 7 to see replies 61-70, before going to page 8 to see the latest reply.

Note that I can always go to the first page of the thread by clicking the thread title.

Just a thought...

Dave

PS - It would be REALLY cool if you could show the pages with new posts in bold, so the user would know which page had the first new posts:
Thread Title (# ... 4 5 6 7 8)
PPS - It would also be REALLY cool if there was an arrow (like the one next to the last poster's name) that took you directly to the first post you haven't seen. Maybe show the author of that post...rather than the author of the most recent post?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Are you viewing the forum on a PC or cell phone? On a PC you can go the "first new post", which I like. On the mobile site, I can't find a way to do that and it jsut goes to the last post on the thread.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

In my experience on the forum, if I open a thread, it opens me to the first post I haven't seen before. In other words, if its the first time I have opened it, it opens up to post #1. If it is a thread I have been following, it will open up to the first post (for example post #54) that I haven't seen.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Are you viewing the forum on a PC or cell phone? On a PC you can go the "first new post", which I like. On the mobile site, I can't find a way to do that and it jsut goes to the last post on the thread.
Ah...the down arrow I hadn't noticed before!

Thanks!

Dave
Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Site Team

I'm trying to follow all this, and may misunderstand what you are asking.

Dave, unless you are clearing your browser cookies, or not storing them at all, the site should take you to the last unread posts page since your last visit to that thread title. If you have never read anything, you'll go to the 1st post page. If you've read up to say post 42, it should take you to the fifth page.

If you clear your cookies or don't store them, then the site has no way of knowing where you've been or what you've read.

This may also help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...thread_display

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Dave, unless you are clearing your browser cookies, or not storing them at all, the site should take you to the last unread posts page since your last visit to that thread title
Hmm. Well, I don't think it works that way for me. I did a right click on this thread's title and copied the link. Here the significant part of that link:
.../suggestion-for-display-of-thread-page-numbers-136981...
(I tried to post the whole link, without calling it a link, but the forum outsmarted me...) I think that just takes you to the first page of the thread. (Maybe the link is different if there are multiple pages in the thread...I'll have to wait til one of those shows up with new posts)

Then I did a right click on the (newly discovered!) down arrow and copied that link:
.../suggestion-for-display-of-thread-page-numbers-136981-new-post....
As mentioned above, this link does seem to take me to the first unread post.

Dave
Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm trying to follow all this, and may misunderstand what you are asking.

Dave, unless you are clearing your browser cookies, or not storing them at all, the site should take you to the last unread posts page since your last visit to that thread title. If you have never read anything, you'll go to the 1st post page. If you've read up to say post 42, it should take you to the fifth page.

If you clear your cookies or don't store them, then the site has no way of knowing where you've been or what you've read.

This may also help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...thread_display
Are the settings different on the mobile site? If I'm on the user cp page on my phone, it doesn't give me an option to go the first new post on a thread I'm subscribed to. If I "click" the thread it takes me to the beginning of the thread. If I "click" the arrow it takes me to the last post of the thread. Many times there are new posts before that last post that I have to scroll back to see.