Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

why threads are shut down

Just wondering why certain threads are shut down including one that was just shut down after posting complaints about a Forest River product or pursuing a lemon law suit. Shouldn't we as owners of defective products be allowed to share, especially if this forum in no way, shape, or form issues connected to forest river, Inc??
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Alleged curmudgeon

Looks to me that your thread still appears right where you put it, under the General Community Discussions forum.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Because some times trolls invade this forum.
They just want to start arguments.
Thats why its under review

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #4

Lemon Laws are a civil legal settlement in most states. Having been through one for a car that settlement included a confidentiality/anti-disparagement clause. According to my attorney this is very common. By allowing the post the forum opens the OP to the possibility of violating any future settlement. They also then need to be involved to ensure any offending posts are deleted. If this was just a vent I think it would have been something different. As soon as legal action was brought up that changed. I have no involvement with the forums but just my two cents.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

There is a panel of moderators on this forum and watch to ensure that the rules of engagement are not broken. When this happens, the thread is closed or a member may get a wrap on the knuckles. These moderators are campers like us and they sometimes get caught up in the action too. many are long time members who devote a lot of time and helpful advise to other members. Like anyone, subjectivity plays a role in their discussions too. After all, they are human. Bottom line, follow the rules.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Team

FRF posting rules say threads threatening litigation are no no. Please read the posting rules.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

And remember all - this forum is In NO way associated with or owned by Forest River.

Forest river reps are kind enough to visit and offer help, but that does not mean this site is a official conduit to Forest River Corporate. (Oh, and BTW, please do not bash the reps - nothing wrong with complaining about warranty issues or poor construction issues - just direct your concerns to the product not the factory rep .

In the case of the thread just shut down, I suspect the Site team did do in order to stop a zillion "this is not an Official Forest River Site" posts
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Because some times trolls invade this forum.
They just want to start arguments.
Thats why its under review

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
So, please educate those of us who are under informed (and risk becoming "trolls") what causes a thread to be reviewed, who does the reviewing and who makes the ultimate decision to truncate a thread
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
There is a panel of moderators on this forum and watch to ensure that the rules of engagement are not broken. When this happens, the thread is closed or a member may get a wrap on the knuckles. These moderators are campers like us and they sometimes get caught up in the action too. many are long time members who devote a lot of time and helpful advise to other members. Like anyone, subjectivity plays a role in their discussions too. After all, they are human. Bottom line, follow the rules.
Never mind, turbs, got my answer......good to know how this works. Thanks
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
So, please educate those of us who are under informed (and risk becoming "trolls") what causes a thread to be reviewed, who does the reviewing and who makes the ultimate decision to truncate a thread
"Troll" by internet definition is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
However, to answer the latter parts of your question:

- What causes a thread to be reviewed?
Running afoul of the rules. You can see the community rules here.

- Who does the reviewing and ultimate decisions re: threads?
The moderation team and the site administrator/owners. You can see one of the Site Admin's comments on it here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post49626

You can see the moderator team here.

It's a job I wouldn't wish on anybody.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLu View Post
Just wondering why certain threads are shut down including one that was just shut down after posting complaints about a Forest River product or pursuing a lemon law suit. Shouldn't we as owners of defective products be allowed to share, especially if this forum in no way, shape, or form issues connected to forest river, Inc??
Most of the time, once the discussion turns into legal arguments/advice, then it's outside the purpose of these forums.

We have had many members who try to use the forums as a pulpit to embarrass or drive business away from dealers/manufacturers. Some do have legitimate complaints, and some are not so legitimate (competitors or such). As in any web based discussion group, do you "REALLY" know who it is on the other end of the keyboard.

A newbie signing up on the forums and instantly starts telling everybody to stay away from x dealer or x product isn't going to have nearly the credibility as a longer term member who the community knows. How does anybody know if they are just "trolls", competitors, or real people with problems?

Another thing with dealer/manufacturer public complaints: Is if/when it goes to litigation, there is almost always some type of confidentiality/non- disparagement agreement at the end...which states that the public complaint or anything publically posted must be taken down. We have had several members of late come back and go thru a recant trying to get us to now remove all of their comments and posts as per their agreement settlement. Well people, that doesn't work. Once you open Pandora's box, you can't close it.....so the site team will do it's best to make sure the genie doesn't get let out of the bottle to begin with.

Hope this helps everyone and their understanding of the following guidelines:

Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes: This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with sellers, manufacturers and dealers through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.

• Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.
  • Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
  • Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Site Team

Good wrap up from wmtire.
In simple terms, I try to treat the members of this forum like a group of friends sitting around the camp fire, fav drink in hand, cool evening, after a fun day of RV activities. Share your stories. I like to hear them. We learn from them. Disagree politely like you would if the member was sitting next to you. Sometimes, when someone says something dumb, we would bite our tongues to keep the peace around the fire. And, as moderators, we have to sometimes ask folks around the campfire to tone it down. Profanity, anger, sniping is not welcome among friends at the frf campfire. Enjoy the warmth and knowledge that is Forest River Forums.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Most of the time, once the discussion turns into legal arguments/advice, then it's outside the purpose of these forums.

We have had many members who try to use the forums as a pulpit to embarrass or drive business away from dealers/manufacturers. Some do have legitimate complaints, and some are not so legitimate (competitors or such). As in any web based discussion group, do you "REALLY" know who it is on the other end of the keyboard.

A newbie signing up on the forums and instantly starts telling everybody to stay away from x dealer or x product isn't going to have nearly the credibility as a longer term member who the community knows. How does anybody know if they are just "trolls" or real people with problems?

[/LIST]

2012 3121DS Forester

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

Well, I did not finish what I wanted to say.....this is the reason I would like to see real names and not made up names.

2012 3121DS Forester

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Lemon Laws are a civil legal settlement in most states. Having been through one for a car that settlement included a confidentiality/anti-disparagement clause. According to my attorney this is very common. By allowing the post the forum opens the OP to the possibility of violating any future settlement. They also then need to be involved to ensure any offending posts are deleted. If this was just a vent I think it would have been something different. As soon as legal action was brought up that changed. I have no involvement with the forums but just my two cents.
Keith is 100% right on...
Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Here is a good example of what violating that clause can do too:

Adam Sandler Wins Dispute Against Nanny (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

When the site team see the thread start talking about the legal system, attorney, lawsuits, etc.......then it's time to shut it down....which will actually save the OP from themselves later on down the road.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #17

In business jurisprudence the legal theorists tell all business owners and personal that anytime a client makes the statement "I will get a lawyer or my lawyer will contact you" they must stop all commutations with that person and refer them to their legal department for any and all further commutations about the matter being contested. Also any public discussions of the matter can and may be the subject of legal actions to, or, and from both parities and to the forum (letters to editor, open letters to other customers, public degrading or belittlement) in witch said discussion took place.
Closed Thread