Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

wmtire electrical thread

I can't respond on the thread that he posted on, but a 50-A circuit does not have 100-A capability! It's only good for 25-A per leg on a 220-V circuit. That's why a 5500-Watt generator does well. They're rated at twenty-five watts per leg.

He has also made several somewhat dubious assumptions on some of his other posts, but does his best at posting what he knows about.

His posts should be open to discussion.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Always Learning

Have a link?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Have a link?
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #4

A link to what? Look at Forest Fiver FAQs.

Some of this stuff could hurt people and equipment!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Always Learning

Yeah, a link to the FAQ that you're questioning...

I don't know what page/post/FAQ that you're specifically referring to. If you can tell me that, I'll tell you how to respond to it...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #6

The most recent FAQ in "Forest River Faqs". As of now, it's still up there.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Always Learning

Ok, finally found it with those instructions. Maybe you're using the app and a link isn't readily available.

Freds342 is talking about this post here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post407939

I'm not sure why you can't respond other than it being in the FAQ thread. I'll find out and come up with a recommendation for you...

In the meantime, feel free to discuss away on this thread.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I can't respond on the thread that he posted on, but a 50-A circuit does not have 100-A capability! It's only good for 25-A per leg on a 220-V circuit. That's why a 5500-Watt generator does well. They're rated at twenty-five watts per leg.

He has also made several somewhat dubious assumptions on some of his other posts, but does his best at posting what he knows about.

Fred, I'm not sure I'm following what you are talking about with the 25 per leg thing. You are talking about 25 amps in one sentence and 25 watts in the next.

If I have made a mistake (it wouldn't be the first time), then I will correct or clarify the best I can. I am not a moderator, and don't have the ability to place things in the FAQ, edit, or sticky them. Anything you read there, has been copied over from a forum I posted in previously because a moderator/administrator thought it was beneficial to the membership. Most of the things I do post are things I have learned here in the forums from our extremely smart members. I usually always post outside links to verify the comments made by myself, so others will know they are not off-hand or made while under the influence of alcohol or medication.

Speaking of that, here are some outside links that may help you understand the 50 amp service better (still not understanding your 25 amp/watts comments). No insult intended, but I'm not sure you fully understand it as well as you should:

http://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

AC Electricity

RV Electric

Now, if you would like to point out the other posts I am accused of making dubious assumptions on, I will do my best to either correct or address them. I am not a vain person, and am here to learn like others.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #9

Guess I'd like to know as well. How do you take a two pole, 50 a breaker, and only get a total of 50 amps at 120v? Guess I've never been able to run enough stuff at one time, but from my bit of use and watching my pi monitor, I would bet I can get a total of 50a on each leg.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wmtire updated his post in the faq section.

The reason you cannot post to it is because its solely an fyi section.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post

Posts to the FAQ are pre-screened for factual information prior to being uploaded. His FAQ is quite correct. There are two 50 amp circuits in a 50 amp service (a total of 100 amps available to the camper).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote