Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #1

1st timer - 36ft. Travel Trailer - 36VBDS - Help!

Just bought a 36 ft. Salem - 36VBDS - I am scheduled to do a walk around next week, during which it sounds like they will be attempting to upsell me on things I will "need" for my camper. I have the following questions, please someone help I am clueless!

- My site has a gray/black water service that I plan to use, will I be needing the hoses that I have seen recommended?
- I will not be moving my camper for a while, so A. does the camper come with leveling items? B. If not what should I buy for leveling on grass? I imagine that anything the dealership has will be marked up quite a bit?
- Do I need a truck capable of towing the weight of the camper during the leveling?

Any other information would be fantastic as I am brand new to this and trying to make some great memories with the family. Thanks and have a great summer!
Cleveland36er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland36er View Post

- My site has a gray/black water service that I plan to use, will I be needing the hoses that I have seen?

you will need a sewer hose to drain the gray and black tanks into the on-site sewer. you will need a water grade hose to get water from the spigot to the trailer

- I will not be moving my camper for a while, so A. does the camper come with leveling items? B. If not what should I buy for leveling on grass? I imagine that anything the dealership has will be marked up quite a bit?

there are many options. many people use blocks of wood, other use leveling blocks.

- Do I need a truck capable of towing the weight of the camper during the leveling? i don't know what you are asking here. to set up and level a trailer you will need wheel chocks. to level you disconnect the trailer from the truck and then adjust the tongue jack and the leveling jacks to make the trailer level. if you tried to do it while still connected to the truck you would then go out of level when you raised the tongue jack in order to disconnect from the truck. put wheel chocks on the trailer wheels before you disconnect as you do not want the trailer to move once you disconnect!
also, if you can spend your first night with the trailer either in your driveway or at a park near the dealer you will learn a lot before you try to get set up at a more permanent site.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #3

First off, Welcome.

That's a big rig. You don't say specifically, but I assume based on your last sentence that you will NOT be towing this primarily. Will this be placed in a permanent spot?

First thing I would do, if you're towing it or a friend / relative / etc. would be to get an Anti-sway hitch. Probably one with Weight Distribution capabilities as well, unless you've got a 3/4 or 1-ton truck you're pulling it with for that one time.

As for leveling, if you're going for a more permanent solution, nothing beats pressure treated lumber. It's cheap, last a long time, can be used on gravel / grass / pavement, and it holds its shape relatively well. That should last you quite a while. The only down side is, if you're constantly traveling with it, it gets heavy to move around. Otherwise, it's great. I keep wood for leveling when at home, and a few nice sets of the plastic RV leveling blocks that look like legos for the campsites. Those are great, but probably not as permanent of a solution that you will want if parking long term.
Sewer hoses (stinky slinky's) are personal preference for the most part, but I've found that there are very few bad review for the Rhino RV sewer hose, and the support for the hose. If full timing, I think most recommend that you don't permanently leave the valves open, as you can get some stink coming back up the system. Only dump the tanks when needed, and always do black water first.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
If full timing, I think most recommend that you don't permanently leave the valves open, as you can get some stink coming back up the system. Only dump the tanks when needed, and always do black water first.
I was SO going to mention that! Agree totally. Let black water (toilet) tank fill up to 2/3 before dumping it, then chase it with the grey water (shower) tank to rinse the sewer hose.

Also, depending on the model of the converter you have (supplies DC from AC shore power and charges the batteries), you may extend the life of your batteries if you disconnect them from the RV (there is usually a disconnect switch) and connect a true battery minder type charger to the batteries. The cheaper built-in converters will overcharge the batteries and won't do anything to desulfinate and destratisify the electrolyte. A true battery minder type charger will provide only a trickle charge to the batteries when they are fully charged, but will also periodically bump up the charge to an equalizing level which help keeps things "stirred up" inside the battery, extending it's life.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:28 AM   #5

Are you having the dealer deliver the trailer to the site? I ask because it doesn't sound like you've got a truck to pull the trailer. If the site is level enough, you might not need any levelers.
If the dealer is delivering the trailer, they might help you level it or the rv park might have a vehicle and people who can help. I think I'd at least look at what products they recommend for leveling. That is a big rig and it's going to need levelers capable of supporting that weight.

RV dealers don't usually have a huge markup on their products. If you've got a smartphone with you, you could check the prices on Amazon to see if their prices are reasonable. There are cheap sewer and water hoses that you'll just end up replacing. Best to get a little more durable product.

I know RV dealers get a bad reputation, but they do know what products you're going to need and which products are durable and suitable for a semi-permanent site.
They might recommend a EMS (electrical management system)/surge protector. They aren't cheap, but they'll help protect the electronics and electrical system in your rig.
Just make certain everything works before you sign the final papers. Since you're not going to move it, you're going to have to rely on mobile mechanics for warranty work.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses! Big help!

Thanks!
Cleveland36er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #7

Your question about needing a truck capable of towing your new trailer for leveling purposes frightens me. Any tow vehicle you use to tow that trailer needs to be capable of towing it. Big potential problem with a big trailer like that being towed with a truck not rated for it. I believe you didn't mention anything about a weight distributing hitch...also a must for a trailer that size. (Obviously the previous doesn't apply if you are having the dealer deliver the trailer.) You also didn't mention whether the trailer has a built in leveling system. Bottom line is, you really need to read some of the books on RVing or you're heading for an RV (the movie) experience, and that won't be fun. I spent a year doing research before we bought our first trailer and once we got it, found out all we didn't know. The orientation you'll get from the dealer will likely make your head swim. That's why its important to learn as much as you can before you take delivery and try to take notes during the walk around. The suggestion above that you take the trailer on a trial weekend before heading out for real is a must, especially for a newbie. I'm in my second 5th wheel and still needed to ask a bunch of questions when we took the new one on a trial trip. (Where's the power cord? Really!). RVing is a lot of fun, but it isn't like checking into a hotel. Information is the key to having fun when you start. I guarantee that the almost new, used rigs you see for sale are there because the owners weren't properly prepared. Good luck with the new trailer and welcome to the world of RVing.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #8

Among all the other recs you will receive, I strongly recommend to cut the heater on during the day and let it burn all the stink off...OR...you may get a 330 am smoke alarm going off and your camper filled with smoke scaring the waste matter out of you the first time you run your heater! My dealer did not inform me of that possiblility...Happy camping!
RookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer