Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 08:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
I am going to retire this spring. Looking for your best tips/lessons on how to camp now that we have more time. What do you know now that you wish you knew.

Thanks
First off it's not camping. Camping is pitching a tent and living outdoors. Rv's are mobile homes. It's a mini horse on wheels. You want to go as BIG and comfortable as you can afford. A big unit with slides, 35-40 feet, will run you 50-80 grand depending on where you live. I live in California and what goes for-80-90 grand here I went to northern Illinois and got it for 50 brand, really 60 and 10 trade in for 50 finance. You could end up living in this A LOT. I restored 16 years ago and untill this covid traveled about 8-10 months a year.

Another thing you need to be a good handy man or have deep pockets. Things loosen up and break.

Good luck.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
First off it's not camping. Camping is pitching a tent and living outdoors. Rv's are mobile homes. It's a mini horse on wheels.
Others would disagree with YOUR definition.

Wikipedia: "Camping*is an*outdoor activity*involving overnight stays away from home in a shelter, such as a*tent*or a*recreational vehicle."

Oxford Languages: "the activity of spending a vacation living in a camp, tent, or camper."
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #43

Enjoy with no time restraints

Weekdays are your friends and weekends no so much. Enjoy the going to and coming from. Be off the road by 3PM. Schedule time off from all the things that you find yourself committed to. Retirement for many of us is busier than we have ever been. Some of the best trips are spur of the moment. Take time to enjoy every day

Nissan Titan
capy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #44
CharlieP

We have a Roo, a 2018 24WS. I'm 71 and for the past two years we would snow bird for 10 weeks and another month in the summer. We tow with a 1/2 ton and it works for us. Only once have we turtled up in heavy winds. It works well for us. I just bought PUGs to deal better with hot days. We'll see how that helps next time, maybe late 2021. We are staying home this Winter. Our retirement has been fun, 4 cross country trips so far. Good luck!
2018 upgrade from Popup
Charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #45

Dump stuff and responsibilities now! I retired 2 1/2 years ago after working a job I hated for 40 years. Bought néw motorhome after having junk for years and thought I was set to go. But found out quick that “stuff” (property, business ventures, family issues) kept me from going like I want and staying for long periods. Retirement is great, just get things in order before you do so you can enjoy it more.
Robert Bolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:21 AM   #46

We’re still part time. We love getting our Berkshire out. I feel the stress melting away from both of us. Figure out a dream trip plan. Do a bit at a time or all at once. Plan simple meals. Mostly just enjoy the road and your glamping life. Get rocking chairs.
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 AM   #47

Smile Definition of Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Others would disagree with YOUR definition.

Everyone has their own ideas of "real camping". Prior to purchasing our first small travel trailer this year, our only camping has always been in a tent, with the truck parked nearby. We've always prepared our meals over the fire or charcoal grill, or dutch oven. Our daughter's boyfriend says that we are not real camping, that's car camping. He believes real camping is backpacking in to your site.
We now have a trailer to sleep in, with heat and A/C, but don't cook and eat inside. We're getting older, and getting more luxurious.
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #48

when we still worked, we did not have much time to plan out long multi stop road trips. We had a TT and would mostly stay at one or two state parks for our vacation always in our home state of MI. After retiring we (mostly me) got a little stir crazy sitting in one place for more than a few days. So we moved to a MH with a very simple quick set up. With both of us making ready for getting underway we can be off the site and on the road in 15 minutes. Setup even shorter.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #49
CCRVOC

One other aspect of camping that I have not seen mentioned in previous posts is camping with friends or other campers with similar interest. Over the past 15 years we have camped in 49 states and most of the Canadian provinces. Some of the trips have been as long as 3 months and 10,000 miles and others as short as 1 week. Most of these have been with other campers who enjoy seeing this great country that we live in.

You will find that most brands of campers - whether they be TT, 5th wheel, Class C , Class A, etc - have clubs that you can join which promote their brand and share experiences and advice and plan travels in groups. We have made great friendships with many in our group and cherish the memories of our past trips.

Out of an abundance of caution, we did not travel in 2020 but missed it terribly and look forward to get back on the road in 2021.
miles on CC - 2011 = 6035; 2012 = 14779; 2013 = 9066; 2014 = 5263; 2015 = 11179; 2016 = 5869; 2017 = 7290
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #50

We actually did more "camping" in 2020 than we have ever done. We realized the MH, being self contained, was one of the safest places we could be while traveling. Traveling to keep from going stir crazy sitting at home. We love having the MH for quick getaways.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #51

Not Retired but preparing

We have had the tent, the pop-ups and the TT’s. With knowing all the work that goes into these and knowing retirement is around the corner for us we moved on to the Motorhome. We went with the Class C. We had options we wanted to make us comfortable. The Sunseeker gave me the big refrigerator, a lot of counter space in the kitchen, and the queen bed that does not fold. We are able to tow our vehicle behind us. We have done the dingy tow and now do the flat tow(which is 100%better and so much easier to hook up). Can not wait for hubby to retire for trips out west!!
cpayne284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #52

I retired last July and my DW has been retired a couple of years. This coming February will be our first "retired" trip heading to Key West and southern states for a four to six-week trip. That part 4-6, is the retirement beauty that besides the Florida section of the trip where we have booked campsites, the rest of the trip will remain flexible.

During our first camping trip retired to Lake Placid, NY last summer with our friends, Jack being retired for a few years now, he gave me a very short answer to retirement, being, "When you are retired, Let the Day come to You". After being in sales for 32 years and living by the calendar and other people's daily schedule, that has been the best piece of advice I have been given to define retirement.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #53

I'm in the same boat--retiring within the next few years. We have our new 3/4 ton truck (2021 Silverado) and expanding our trips (from 4 days to 1-2 weeks) in preparation of longer trips. However, check out the memberships available to start saving money too. Our next trip, we plan to use Harvest Host Pass to check out the ease of use.
S.Edington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #54
Camp to Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
My wife and I still have a stick and brick house so, we only camp from spring to late fall. Say from mid to late April to mid or late fall if we can find RV parks open into late fall. A lot of parks close around Columbus day in the northern states.

We usually camp from Mondays to Fridays and home for the weekends. Why?
Sorry guys but too many weekend warriors and all they want to do is party all night long on Friday nights and Saturday nights. It is a lot quieter during the week and a more relax week day compared to the weekends.

We usually travel once a year for a three or four week trip from home usually after the schools start in the fall, campgrounds our easier to get into. I make all of our reservations in the early spring for the fall trips.

I also have a camping budget and try to not exceed the projected cost for the year. This is based on the last years true cost of traveling and camping with a projected 10% cost increase.
I agree 180% on the weekend warriors! They drive me crazy! Seems any more people go camping to party! Plus it’s damn near impossible to get in anywhere on the weekends
Ohio_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
First off it's not camping. Camping is pitching a tent and living outdoors. Rv's are mobile homes. It's a mini horse on wheels. You want to go as BIG and comfortable as you can afford. A big unit with slides, 35-40 feet, will run you 50-80 grand depending on where you live. I live in California and what goes for-80-90 grand here I went to northern Illinois and got it for 50 brand, really 60 and 10 trade in for 50 finance. You could end up living in this A LOT. I restored 16 years ago and untill this covid traveled about 8-10 months a year.

Another thing you need to be a good handy man or have deep pockets. Things loosen up and break.

Good luck.
Wow... you DO have a different definition of camping, etc.!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #56
Herschel

The original poster asked what we wished we knew before retiring that we know now about our RV usage. I scanned most of the posts, and you can see that many RV-ers have strong opinions about their decisions and rigs. My wife and I have been retired for 11 years. We bought our first and only travel trailer used as well as the tow vehicle separately. We were novices regarding weight ratings and were fortunate to have purchased compatible vehicles. So, that would be my first effort were I to do this over. do more research about how all the moving parts fit together and start out simple. If you find as many have suggested, you want more space to "reside" at facilities called "campgrounds" in wheeled vehicles, (what most of us Rv-ers call camping. then you can trade up based on income and perceived needs. My wife and I found that we remained very happy with a 26ft (interior length) travel trailer with one slide and a 1500/150 size truck with good towing package. We remain very pleased that we have been able to travel for extended periods of time and camp near where our grandchildren live in other states. The RV allows us to remain in their area without "being on top" of our grown children's families. That makes for much warmer welcomes when we show up. We are avid sailors so we found the little world of inflatable sailboats that we can stow in our truck bed and use when lakes are available. I think the longer trips and more time on the road naturally evolve into fairly clearly defined roles. For example, I drive; my wife navigates and calls ahead for reservations. Breaking camp, I do the outside, she does the inside. I think each team develops standard hand signals for things like backing rigs, etc. We are both very collaborative about daily driving distances and times. Safety is the number one consideration, not schedule. Although when trying to hit a special site/park for an extended stay, planning ahead is essential to avoid fatigue getting there. We have come to appreciate the four lane US or state highway and prefer them to Interstates except for the lack of rest stops. But, thank heavens for Walmarts. Since we do attend church regularly, we have enjoyed visiting churches around the country of the same or similar denomination. Lastly, I have been pleasantly surprised at how much our extended family appreciates our visits every couple of years. The RV lifestyle and travel capability can yield much closer family ties. See you out there.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne284 View Post
We have had the tent, the pop-ups and the TT’s. With knowing all the work that goes into these and knowing retirement is around the corner for us we moved on to the Motorhome. We went with the Class C. We had options we wanted to make us comfortable. The Sunseeker gave me the big refrigerator, a lot of counter space in the kitchen, and the queen bed that does not fold. We are able to tow our vehicle behind us. We have done the dingy tow and now do the flat tow(which is 100%better and so much easier to hook up). Can not wait for hubby to retire for trips out west!!
I always thought dinghy tow meant towing a car behind a motorhome, and flat towing was a form of dinghy towing.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
The original poster asked what we wished we knew before retiring that we know now about our RV usage. I scanned most of the posts, and you can see that many RV-ers have strong opinions about their decisions and rigs. My wife and I have been retired for 11 years. We bought our first and only travel trailer used as well as the tow vehicle separately. We were novices regarding weight ratings and were fortunate to have purchased compatible vehicles. So, that would be my first effort were I to do this over. do more research about how all the moving parts fit together and start out simple. If you find as many have suggested, you want more space to "reside" at facilities called "campgrounds" in wheeled vehicles, (what most of us Rv-ers call camping. then you can trade up based on income and perceived needs. My wife and I found that we remained very happy with a 26ft (interior length) travel trailer with one slide and a 1500/150 size truck with good towing package. We remain very pleased that we have been able to travel for extended periods of time and camp near where our grandchildren live in other states. The RV allows us to remain in their area without "being on top" of our grown children's families. That makes for much warmer welcomes when we show up. We are avid sailors so we found the little world of inflatable sailboats that we can stow in our truck bed and use when lakes are available. I think the longer trips and more time on the road naturally evolve into fairly clearly defined roles. For example, I drive; my wife navigates and calls ahead for reservations. Breaking camp, I do the outside, she does the inside. I think each team develops standard hand signals for things like backing rigs, etc. We are both very collaborative about daily driving distances and times. Safety is the number one consideration, not schedule. Although when trying to hit a special site/park for an extended stay, planning ahead is essential to avoid fatigue getting there. We have come to appreciate the four lane US or state highway and prefer them to Interstates except for the lack of rest stops. But, thank heavens for Walmarts. Since we do attend church regularly, we have enjoyed visiting churches around the country of the same or similar denomination. Lastly, I have been pleasantly surprised at how much our extended family appreciates our visits every couple of years. The RV lifestyle and travel capability can yield much closer family ties. See you out there.
Well stated, and I couldn't have posted your comment any better. We do the exact same things for this type of lifestyle as well.
I will say this though, We're very happy with how this community of FRF members, has thought us and touched our minds, hearts in educating us for our future endeavors, now and into the future.
Happy Retirement, to all those who have, and will be approaching this lifestyle.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #59
Herschel

One more thought occurred to me for the original poster. One thing that is necessary when you start taking longer RV trips in retirement is well thought out plans for the home you are leaving behind. Regular lawn maintenance and irrigation if needed, mail handling (post office will only hold mail 30 days), security issues, and working relationships with various technicians in your home town you might need to call to deal with plumbing, air conditioning, pest control, and electrical. You will miss special occasions back home that you normally have attending like family birthdays and summer holiday outings. Keeping family and friends back home involved in your travels helps keep those important ties. We let someone back home know we are safely in a campground every day we are gone, and we regularly email our church group to keep them "in the loop" as well.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #60

In Idaho, you are allowed to tow 2 vehicles (truck, TT and boat/ATV) as long as it does not exceed 75 ft. In length. I haven't tried it, but I've seen it done.
isp435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire