Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #41

Rad Powerbikes

Rad Power bikes will change your life.
Lep319MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #42

Who you callin' a nerd?! Actually, it's a badge of honor - thanks! Wife and I went to the mtn bike swap meet here in Anchorage and got a couple of good quality used mtn bikes and a Yakima hitch rack (on our 2013 Sunseeker 2450). We don't care if they get road grimed (which they do) just spray 'em off. (Also got two ORU kayaks from REI which fit in the back storage locker - but that'll be another post). A good time for us is a long, long road trip through the "Lower 48" or Canada stopping at state and national parks to hike, bike and kayak. In our early 60s and in decent shape. Not into rough backcountry biking trails (we'll hike some hilly terrain), but humping it on bike paths, paved or not, is a great way to see some beautiful country. ALWAYS wear a helmet, use your bell and share the trail! Two recent highlights - the AMAZING bike trails at Kouchibouguac National Park (New Brunswick, Canada) last early October during fall colors was unreal. In our own backyard, the trails at K'esugi Ken State Campground, while relatively new, were spectacular (bike and foot) with Denali and her sister lording over the landscape. Get while the gettin's good, and be safe everybody.
chumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #43

At now 66 started MTB 5 years ago. I have a 2018 Trek Fuel ex 8 and take it camping with me. Wife has a hard rail Specialized but is not into as I am. Also have a Trek Domane 5.2 road that I will also occasionally bring camping. Am nuts about MTB and love the always getting better and learning.
We live in south central WI near Madison if anyone is passing through
LorenzoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #44

Love mountain biking, been riding for almost a decade!
I got a giant hard tail that is my project bike. It was my first trail bike and I've upgraded almost every component on that bike

My main bike is a YT Capra. I love that bike!
BostonRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep319MBF View Post
Rad Power bikes will change your life.
They are not adequate TRUE mountain bikes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #46

Tricycle at 2.
First bike at 4.
Schwerin Stingray at 9.
First 10 speed at 12.
Started racing at 17.
First mountain bike at 25 and broken bones began.
First e-bike at 58 and love it.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDownTheWest View Post
First e-bike at 58 and love it.
Currently 63 and hopefully e-bikes are still years away.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
66 years old and resisting it. Unfortunately I rode a Specialized Turbo Levo and I'm weakening. Luckily I don't have $5000-$6000 to spend right now.[emoji1786]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #49

I ride an Intense Tracer and a Surly Moonlander and have ridden in a lot of places in the United States and a few in Canada. I prefer longer rides; the last really big one was the Maah Daah Hey end to end.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #50

Yep, I ride a Trek, son rides a Diamondback.
Attached Images

Taywick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #51

Likewise at 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #52
Hux

I bought a Murray hand welded chrome moly a long time ago. I was a roady but was intrigued by a fat tired bike with more than 1 speed. Then I got a Cannondale 800 something with full suspension. I rode that for 20 some odd years. I raced it in the inaugural Prickly Pedal in Arizona. Tinker Jaurez won and beat me by 4 1/2 hours. I was the last finisher, and the oldest: 76. The shocks died on the Cannondale so I got a Fuji with full suspension just before Performance closed. Hydraulic Discs and tubeless tires are great. I do most of my riding in San Tan Mountain Park here in AZ.
In case you haven't found out. Don't use your front brake going down hill.
Hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #53

Any mountain bike nerds?

Ride everyday , 10 mile loop in Morro Bay, and we have a place in Bear Valley , great trails!
Cannondale hard tail, Intense carbon full
cencalporsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hux View Post
I bought a Murray hand welded chrome moly a long time ago. I was a roady but was intrigued by a fat tired bike with more than 1 speed. Then I got a Cannondale 800 something with full suspension. I rode that for 20 some odd years. I raced it in the inaugural Prickly Pedal in Arizona. Tinker Jaurez won and beat me by 4 1/2 hours. I was the last finisher, and the oldest: 76. The shocks died on the Cannondale so I got a Fuji with full suspension just before Performance closed. Hydraulic Discs and tubeless tires are great. I do most of my riding in San Tan Mountain Park here in AZ.
In case you haven't found out. Don't use your front brake going down hill.
I think any mountain bike nerd is aware of when not to use the front brake.[emoji6] They also know Cannondale's nickname, "Crack-n-fail".[emoji1787]
I bought a LOT of bike stuff from Performance.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
They also know Cannondale's nickname, "Crack-n-fail".
I had a Crack-n-fail, the factory was about 75 miles away in Bedford, PA. That bike replaced the broken Diamondback. Other broken frames on the list are Redline, Gary Fisher, Specialized, and Trek.

They all broke while I was "just riding along..."
EddieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #56

My folks live in Los Osos... Small world.

I usually bring the road bike when I visit but mountain or road... its a wonderful area to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cencalporsch View Post
Ride everyday , 10 mile loop in Morro Bay, and we have a place in Bear Valley , great trails!
Cannondale hard tail, Intense carbon full
mtn_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #57

Here are the latest set of wheels in the house for the now 6 year old. We can't get him off of it which is a good problem to have. I got spoiled living in the Gunnison Valley in Colorado so I've always felt the trails in my area (mid-Atlantic) leave a lot to be desired. They will have a whole new appeal with a riding buddy like him. There are good times ahead for sure.

mtn_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 AM   #58

Los Osos has great Trails!!
cencalporsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #59
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_matt View Post
Here are the latest set of wheels in the house for the now 6 year old. We can't get him off of it which is a good problem to have. I got spoiled living in the Gunnison Valley in Colorado so I've always felt the trails in my area (mid-Atlantic) leave a lot to be desired. They will have a whole new appeal with a riding buddy like him. There are good times ahead for sure.
Very cool. You came from the mecca (Gunny, Crested Butte).

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #60

I live in thousand oaks, ca. We have some great mtb trails here. I started riding at 11 with our boy scout troop. At 17 we rode from San Francisco to Santa Monica. My buddys and I rode 100 to 200 miles per week in high school. I rode a metric century the morning after my prom.

20 Years later, my friends and I are all still riding a lot. I had a Cannondale jekell I rode till it about died. I had replaced every part on it but the wheelset and the frame.

Now I have a 2017 trek ex5 29er which I love. The 29 inch wheels are a hasn't changer. I also love the slacker head. It is in the shop right now because I dropped a bearing in the rear wheel. I have been riding my dad's specialized epic carbon fiber 29er. Nice and light, but the head tube is too steep for my taste.

Just upgraded my tonneau to a rolling one so that I can add some racks on to it.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, mount