Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Any mountain bike nerds?

I’m sure a simple search In here would have resulted in me finding a discussion from a past year, but what’s the fun in that?

Are there any mountain bikers here? Im pulling the newly bought TT up to inks lake in texas to go to spider mountain downhill park!

I ride an 18 diamondback release 4c

Nerds* not needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45D1C9C6-21EF-43D9-B1A0-B91EBFA291B6.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	229474  
St3v0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

I've been MTBing since the early '80s. Did some amateur racing until USAC took over. They took the fun out of the old days of MTB racing, when prizes were beer. I used to race Beginner 40+ Clydesdale class, which USAC did away with.
I own a Giant VT-2 all mountain F/S bike, a K2 Razorback XC F/S race bike and an older K2 4000 F/S bike.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

I've been mountain biking since the 60's, just didn't call it that back then. We just called it having fun. Got my first mountain bike in the 80's. Currently I have a Trek Top Fuel full suspension and a Marin something or other hard tail (I ride them, not read them) and I still call it fun. I take a MTB and road bike with me on every camping trip.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

Not a mountain biker but a co-worker retired at age 62, sold his house and packed everything into a Sprinter Van to mountain bike the 50 states. That was 12 years and 30 thousand miles on his bike ago. He's still living out of his van and blogging about his adventures.

https://runutsadventures.com/bike/
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #5

A few years ago I got a sort of mountain bike for just riding around. It was by a company called "Specialized" that I had never heard of at the time. Well, this little bike has really impressed me. It feels like you can climb trees with it! Well, not really, but, I registered for their site and found them to be pretty high end bikes - like some of them are over $6,000! A bit much to ride around the campground, but, if you would like to check them out their link is: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mountain-bikes
They have other bikes as well and some pretty cool stuff. I'm sure if you are a biker, you already know about them, but, just in case the link to the mountain bikes will get you to their other offerings as well. I bought the cheaper model at the time for only $600.00. It was just right for me for casual riding.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

I've been a bicycle enthusiast since I was a kid, but at 68 y.o. I'll settle for just riding around the campgrounds and bike trails... can't afford to break bones now! My DW never rode a bike as a kid, so she is afraid of her mountain bike, but I bought her a 7 speed trike that she will at least ride around the campgrounds with me. Biggest problem is how to carry the bikes along with all the other camping gear. Back in the 1980's I had a bumper mounted bike rack to hold the bikes for myself and the kids, but one summer on the way home, it managed to break the bumper off the old TT and I lost about $1200 worth of bicycles ... you would think that a passing motorist would have said something to get my attention. Well now I stack them in the back of the tow vehicle with the steering wheel suspended on my ladder rack with cables and a lock and the back wheels in a wooden holder I made to keep them from sliding around.
Good luck with the real mountain biking, be careful and don't lose your bikes or hurt yourself in a crash.

Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Specialized has been one of the top 3 bicycle makers for decades. They are well known in the cycling community and around the world.
They even have their own company stores. My nephew used to work in one and has nothing but Specialized bikes, including one for his 5 year old daughter.
I'm currently drooling over a Specialized Turbo Levo electric mountain bike but at 66 years old, spending $5k-$8k doesn't seem smart since my other bikes work fine.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

I used to love riding my mountain bike but then it sort of got replaced by other free time pursuits. Now that we're retired and travel often in our Isata 3, I've had a pretty good itch to buy a fat tire bike to haul along. Plus home base is perfect for wide tire biking. I've been watching the local for sale notices for a good used one.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #9

I enjoy my Specialized Fuse 4” fat tire mtn. bike w/ the dropper seat post for easy on and off. After back and hip surgeries with the past two years, I feel safer with the fat tires that easily handle sand, snow, rocks and cracks. I recently purchased an electric mtn. bike(e-concepts) that I’m really have fun with ( great for those hills and wind.) The only negative is they aren’t light bikes, harder to load.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I enjoy my Specialized Fuse 4” fat tire mtn. bike w/ the dropper seat post for easy on and off. After back and hip surgeries with the past two years, I feel safer with the fat tires that easily handle sand, snow, rocks and cracks. I recently purchased an electric mtn. bike(e-concepts) that I’m really have fun with ( great for those hills and wind.) The only negative is they aren’t light bikes, harder to load.
Yea, I've had 7 knee surgeries, foot surgery and shoulder surgery. My knees are now bone on bone and I need surgeries on my other shoulder and foot. But I still love mountain biking.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #11

I am 61 and road bike and MTB bike religiously. I ride a minimum of 100 miles a week and do multiple centuries every year(road bike). Trying my best to never become a Clydesdale!

I have an older 2012 Trek Superfly, a 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert and a 3 speed beach cruiser which I take camping.

I will likely never buy an e bike...will need to shoot me first. I do however have Di2 on my road bike(electric shifting). It was a pricey bike $6K
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #12

Hey Swampy, thought you might like to see my setup in the back of my TV. It may give you some ideas. First, we don't have a trike, but, my wife has one of those folding bikes from Camping World and it fits right against the side of the cap in the truck. My bike has a detachable front wheel and for that one I made a slider with a fork lock so I can slide it out on the gate of the truck and slide it back in when I'm packing up. Otherwise I chain it (actually with a cable) to one of the trailer wheels when we are in camp. It was all made out of scraps, except for the fork lock and the gate bolts. The front wheel fits on the folding fork after the bike is slid into the truck. The gate bolts are on both the slider and the fork brace to keep them from coming out during starts/stops or bumpy roads. Since we live on a dirt road, it's been tested and is holding. The sliders are made out of electrical conduit that just slides into one another. I had a track from an old bike carrier and use that on the floor (made of 3/4 plywood) to guide the back wheel of the bike. This way, I keep the bikes locked in the truck and also out of the weather when not in use camping. The folding fork front tire holder had to fold down to allow the bike crank arms to clear when pulling out the bike. By having it fold, I could put the tire between the bikes and save room in the truck. By the way, the plywood floor and everything on it is removable. This is the second truck I've had it in. It has been in this truck for over 20 years so far. Maybe it will give someone an idea. PIX: one shows everything packed, another shows the bike fork slid out on the back gate, another is a close up of the gate locks, and the other is the close up of the front wheel in the fork holder. Hope this all makes sense. Some of the pix are sideways. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2506.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	229746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	229747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	229748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	229749  
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #13

I bought a couple of mountain bikes on sale new at Target back in 1993. They were both 15 speed, very sturdy and yet lightweight. My wife and I took them everywhere with us. Maine, Vermont, Gettysburg, Pa. the Blue Ridge and Smokies.... I just sold them last year. They stayed in excellent shape. They retained their beautiful paint jobs and we never ever had any mechanical problems with them. The inner tubes finally gave out two years ago in 2018. The tires were also due to be changed. The fellow that bought them paid me $35.00 each for them. I paid $49.99 each in 1993. At 25 years old I probably could have sold them as antiques, but we really got our use out of those bikes!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
Scoundrel

Yes mountain biking since forever.... let me know if you're ever passing through Colorado. There's a million miles of single track.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	85245792_2828164377261735_7452084501296971776_o.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	229786   Click image for larger version

Name:	13669443_1102937619784428_7657086616609340860_o.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	229787  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I bought a couple of mountain bikes on sale new at Target back in 1993. They were both 15 speed, very sturdy and yet lightweight. My wife and I took them everywhere with us. Maine, Vermont, Gettysburg, Pa. the Blue Ridge and Smokies.... I just sold them last year. They stayed in excellent shape. They retained their beautiful paint jobs and we never ever had any mechanical problems with them. The inner tubes finally gave out two years ago in 2018. The tires were also due to be changed. The fellow that bought them paid me $35.00 each for them. I paid $49.99 each in 1993. At 25 years old I probably could have sold them as antiques, but we really got our use out of those bikes!
Not sure if us Mountain Bike snobs would consider a Target bike, as a real Mountain Bike.[emoji23][emoji6]
(No offence)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not sure if us Mountain Bike snobs would consider a Target bike, as a real Mountain Bike.[emoji23][emoji6]
(No offence)
Uhhhh...no.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #17

Quote:
(No offence)
I was thinking that but wasn't gonna say it.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #18

Quote:
(No offence)
None taken! I think they were probably a lot better than those high priced bikes with the fancy names. They lasted for 25 years.... how long have you had yours?
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:51 PM   #19

Quote:
I think they were probably a lot better than those high priced bikes with the fancy names.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:53 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
None taken! I think they were probably a lot better than those high priced bikes with the fancy names. They lasted for 25 years.... how long have you had yours?
Well, my oldest high priced/fancy name mountain bike is 23 years old. I started mountain bike racing on it.
My next 2 mountain bikes are 20 years old, one was for cross country mtb racing for the K2 Grassroots program.
And i can assure you that they were abused, especially because I raced in the 200lbs+ Clydesdale division.
All still work great.
My first mountain bike was a Huffy that my wife bought me from Target. In just a couple of months of jumping off of curbs and bumpy single track, I'd ruined both rims and the axles. I took it to a bike shop for repair. He looked at me and said that if I wanted to continue to ride aggressively, I better upgrade my bike. Otherwise I'd be a frequent visitor to the repair shop. He was quite right.

We're really not knocking your bikes because its all about having fun getting out and riding them. Clearly yours are working great for you and your wife. It's fantastic that they have served you well.

Tags
bike, mount