Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Bad start to RV'ing (Venting)

I love our 2004 Georgetown. I love camping. I love taking my coffee out to my little chair and listening to the waves, birds, quiet and smelling the fresh air. I love living in 35' of knowing where everything is and saying goodbye to my house. Problem is.......after just 4 short jaunts (5 day max on one trip), Hubby has decided he doesn't like the lifestyle. HELP!!!!!
Might have something to do with the fact every time we have loaded up and 'started out', something has gone wrong. Might be that the insurance we bought (thank God) has already had to pay out almost 4 grand for the damage from a windstorm...(broken windshield; ripped canopy and broken pole; TV fell out and crashed; ripped off TV antenna)...All turn signals quit working...expensive hitch for 2000 VW tow car broke second day...batteries all had to be replaced....bought a satellite dish and the day it was installed the flat screen gave up, bought a new TV....$$$$$ adding up. Bed is too narrow and short for him....yada yada yada....
To top it off, it hasn't quit raining long enough to really do 'anything' fun.
I'm the one who wanted this giant thing in our driveway, and now wondering if we made a bad move at our age (I'm 69 and he is 71). Maybe we are just set in our ways and should have started this years ago.

Sorry if all this is boring, but wonder if anyone on this forum has gone through this just to find out that RV life isn't your cup of tea.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Anacortesians

We got into Class A RVing when I was 69+ and DW three years younger. We've enjoyed what little we've been able to do in the 4 seasons we've had it (a tad over 5,000 miles). Most of our problems haven't been with the rig, but with medical issues and costs.

We're thinking of hanging it up this year.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

My DW and I are 65 and we purchased our Georgetown in April 2012 after having 5th wheels. We now have 2 years in our Georgetown and we are not full timers.
I just rolled over 23,000 miles on mine and plan another 10,000 miles in the next 4 months. We all had issues with our motorhomes so lets say you are finished with any more surprises. Hit the road and "Enjoy the Country we love and defend!
We are heading out to the Canadian maritime area in a few weeks and won't get home until early September.

You really need to hookup with a group locally and have fun with other Forest River Owners Group. (FROG)

Have fun and hope you don't sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coco_Sign.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	51744  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

That's a lot to get over, but give it some time and a few good trips under your belt, you'll be better prepped to decide whether to quit or not. And think about it, you've got several stories in the bag that takes most of us years to experience!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #5

We bought our 2004 Georgetown a year ago and have not had any expensive problems,,,,,,, yet. Some of your issues, like the wind damage are probably unavoidable. Better luck on future trips. You and he will enjoy it.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You could always talk him into going to Goshen! Then he could partake in the beer tasting event and forget about the bad experiences, make new friends and have something to look forward to next year..
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #7

OK...you all are great. Thank you. Guess I just might have to pull the hide-a-bed out and sleep on it.... 2 dogs and a cat and 2 large humans on a bed that 'all' are used to a King..hmm, maybe a few beers 'would' smooth the edges, but closer than Goshen, ha ha
PS...hubby says we are 35' not 32'.

How do you hook up with FROG's ??
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

My Grandparents RV'ed until they were 88 when Grandpa said he could no longer setup and tear down. They are 94 now, but grandpa and grandma still like to come up to the lake and hang out and go fishing!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateepay View Post
I love our 2004 Georgetown. I love camping. I love taking my coffee out to my little chair and listening to the waves, birds, quiet and smelling the fresh air. I love living in 35' of knowing where everything is and saying goodbye to my house. Problem is.......after just 4 short jaunts (5 day max on one trip), Hubby has decided he doesn't like the lifestyle. HELP!!!!!
Might have something to do with the fact every time we have loaded up and 'started out', something has gone wrong. Might be that the insurance we bought (thank God) has already had to pay out almost 4 grand for the damage from a windstorm...(broken windshield; ripped canopy and broken pole; TV fell out and crashed; ripped off TV antenna)...All turn signals quit working...expensive hitch for 2000 VW tow car broke second day...batteries all had to be replaced....bought a satellite dish and the day it was installed the flat screen gave up, bought a new TV....$$$$$ adding up. Bed is too narrow and short for him....yada yada yada....
I'm the one who wanted this giant thing in our driveway, and now wondering if we made a bad move at our age (I'm 69 and he is 71). Maybe we are just set in our ways and should have started this years ago.

Sorry if all this is boring, but wonder if anyone on this forum has gone through this just to find out that RV life isn't your cup of tea.
Hang in there seems like the devil is messing with him. Tell him to take a deep breath and roll with it. Looking forward to the day I can go fulltime.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Always Learning

I don't know of anyone who could weather that kind of start and not think, "holy crapola on to cracker, what did we do?!"

I wish the best for ya. We've all had our moments- yours seem to be hitting all at once.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:

Well, what are his interest/hobbies? History, cars, racing, trucks, golf, antiques etc.? Plan some trips where he can enjoy one or two of his interest. If you both enjoy the same thing then great! If you enjoy the peace and tranquility of the surroundings of the RV then do that and let him go check out a new golf course, or the local car show or a few antique shops. I saw a guy once who was into woodworking and had a mini shop on a slide out tray that slid out from one of his storage bays! (we even bought a few things from him) If his hobby is small (indoor type), bring it along. Take a walk and talk to new people, ask questions of them about RV'ing, how they handle it etc.

As for some of the problems, some are inevitable whereas others are just a matter of "secure it or stow it". If the weather is going to be bad (especially windy), secure it or put it away (especially if you're going to be out away from the RV).

It will get better now that it sounds like all the bad things have already happened. Sooooo, keep on trying, it will get easier and more fun once you find your interests along the way.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #12

If you think about all you have been through and all the repair you have done and had done, you should be good to go now.

Iggy is right find a couple or two and go camping together, talk to other camper in the campgrounds you go to, you will find friends your age. My dad has been going to Corpus Christi for years for years, he had so many friends, they look forward to seeing each other. Hang in there, I think you will do fine

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #13

ependydad.....Boy you said a mouthful. "Divorce forces sale of motorhome" is NOT happening.
So with that said, is this the best place to put TOTALLY reconditioned and upgraded 2004 Georgetown, (with only 21,311 miles) with VW tow car (91k miles) up for sale?
Sadly I'm not kidding.
Would like to spend our 34th anniversary with a smile on 'his' face...
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #14
Minnesotan

Quote:
ependydad.....Boy you said a mouthful. "Divorce forces sale of motorhome" is NOT happening.
So with that said, is this the best place to put TOTALLY reconditioned and upgraded 2004 Georgetown, (with only 21,311 miles) with VW tow car (91k miles) up for sale?
Sadly I'm not kidding.
Would like to spend our 34th anniversary with a smile on 'his' face...
I apologize, I usually try to keep my mouth zipped. But I just wonder if you will still have a smile on your face if you sell the Georgetown?

Have you considered a seasonal site?

Katie
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
My Grandparents RV'ed until they were 88 when Grandpa said he could no longer setup and tear down. They are 94 now, but grandpa and grandma still like to come up to the lake and hang out and go fishing!!
There is a elderly lady at our seasonal park that is in her late 80's still drives! Owns her own trailer. Her Great Grand children look after the work around the trailer. She leaves her retirement home May 15th and returns Oct 15th has done so for 20 years.

Have fun travelling, you have a 10 yr old unit and sometime shakedown blues happen.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #16

Most of us have had problems with our rig but not in that short of time. You could always look at it this way you guys got most of the problems out of the way early. I find if I just keep calm when problems come up it's better on the family and myself
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschultz View Post
I apologize, I usually try to keep my mouth zipped. But I just wonder if you will still have a smile on your face if you sell the Georgetown?

Have you considered a seasonal site?

Katie
What do you mean? Sorry, new to this.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
Most of us have had problems with our rig but not in that short of time. You could always look at it this way you guys got most of the problems out of the way early. I find if I just keep calm when problems come up it's better on the family and myself
Not my hubby's cup of tea....he likes being 'tended to' ....hotel type. I thought he would enjoy this (as I do) but..

The rig is running like a top....all the stuff is fixed or brand new
I want to have ONE summer of fun, but looks like maybe not. Of course we haven't had any serious lookey-loos yet.....so who knows.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
Plain Old Member

Do you think if everything would have gone smooth, no problems, then he'd have a different outlook?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #20

Quote:
What do you mean? Sorry, new to this.
Some people rent a campsite for the entire camping season - a "seasonal site" Then you can park your rig and leave it. It becomes like a cabin or condo. Most people who have a seasonal site find someplace reasonably close to home and head to the camper most weekends. No pack up, setup, pack up again, travel home each time. Take a look around your area and see what campgrounds there are with the ammenities and atmosphere you are looking for. There is everything from the most rustic, to full service resorts out there.

Might make a good compromise that you both enjoy, especially if you are looking at taking a loss on the sale of the motorhome after all the work you have done on it. And if you wanted to travel or visit friends or see some sights, you still have the option of unhooking and taking the motorhome out any time you want.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent