Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Don't worry - in a few years, you'll get a case of "two-foot-itis" and move up to something larger. I went from a pop up to a hybrid to a TT. Who knows, might be a 5vr in my future some day.
Yep...similar. Tent to popup to hybrid to the current rig in my sig line. I don't miss the hybrid but I certainly miss our favorite sites in remote Maine that I used to be able to get the popup into. Don't lament...have fun and go camping!

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #22
rvb

we thought it funny @ the RV show this spring, we decided to move from our pop-up to a travel trailer. While sitting in a couple of units to talk #s w/ the sales folks, people kept popping their heads in and saying things like "wow this is too small, who would want this?!" haha. um, we would! haha. We haven't camped in it yet, and I have a little buyer's remorse because I love the tent feel of a pop up. But all we had was rain last year, only one night did we get to sleep w/ the tent ends open, so I won't miss the rainy setup or teardown haha...

-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #23

At the FROG International Rally in Goshen, you'll find everything from a Palomino pick-up truck camper to the biggest tag-axle Class A motorhome. Nobody looks down on anybody else. Everybody is just there to have fun. And as Pete Liegl might point out, we're ALL Forest River customers and all equally important to the company.

Go camp and in whatever suits you.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #24

In the last 40 yrs we went from a 26 ft to a 30, to 40, to 18, to our current 29 ft. I have had fun in every one of them and each one of them was better that the others at something. With the 40 ft I enjoyed a washer and dryer and 3 slides. In the 18 ft I enjoyed those small forest service campsites the larger rigs had to pass up. Now at 69 yer old I can pull my 29 ft behind my 1/2 ton truck and still have a really nice trailer I can pull comfortably. Enjoy what you have and know know sometimes people in larger rigs are envious of your ability to get into those smaller campgrounds.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #25

We camped in tents for several years till the kids came and DW no longer wanted to go because the tent was too small for the 4 of us and the kids were too little to be in their own tent. So Pop up we went. Until the kids needed separate beds (boy and girl). Plus two big dogs. So now a toy hauler works for us. Starting to think of retirement in several years and snow birding so who knows what that will bring. I like to travel early and she likes to sleep in, so maybe a Class C or A?
lytlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #26

We had a basic pop up for 10-years with just cold running water and AC. The kids are grown up so a couple of months ago traded for an A-Frame camper. It has a microwave, stereo system, AC and heat, gas stove, hot and cold running water, and outside shower. It may be small, but we feel like we're camping in luxury!

Oh yeah - we can also park it in our third-stall garage, just like we did with the pop up.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #27

Started with Jayco 14 foot box popup sleep 8. Now 38 foot MH sleep 4. Go figure.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #28

Great picture Old Coot
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #29

Leache94............can I assume that the '94' is not your age? LOL I'm betting it's the year you were born.

Which is fine! I envy you greatly.

In 1994 I was........um...........over 50! See, I was born in the FIRST half of the LAST Century.

That doesn't mean anything. NO one gets to choose when they were born. Thus, you are as old as you are, and that's that. What it DOES mean is that in 2016, I've worked "for the man" much longer than you've been alive. That doesn't make me rich, in fact I'm poorer than I was before I retired. What it DOES make me is tired, broken, and old! LOL

The issue is, I'd love to do it in a smaller way. But some of us have certain things wrong with our old bodies that we can't fix. Heart attacks and COPD and such are not choices. So we either stay home and drift away, or we get something that will allow us to get out there at least somewhat.

Couple that with finally paying off the house mortgage, and just deciding to mortgage a 'rolling house', and that's how we got to this point.

I don't think you look small to me! I think I'm envious........... but I'll just have to live with what I have.

Y'all come over and visit, though, you hear?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #30

Shuts think of all the gas stations that you can pass when those rocket ships are tussling all that gas.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #31

Some of the best times we ever had was in a 18' Apalacha TT. No gray, just a 8 gallon Fresh water and a 8 gallon Black. Owned that TT longer than any other as well. Some how, we just tend to move away from basics toward that desire for more....
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #32

The only reason that we have a larger trailer is because we always take the grandkids so there are 5 of us. The day will come when they wouldn't want to come with us. Then we will downsize.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #33

We started with a tent many years ago. Went on a 2 week camping trip through Ontario, then another 2 weeks out west. Had a lot of fun. Later a small PU with no A/C (a summer in Brownsville, TX cured us of that), a larger PU (with A/C), a Hybrid trailer, a 25 foot TT and now a 27 foot TT. It "should" be our last as we are now happily retired... but you never know. Point is, we enjoyed each and every one of them.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #34

Started with a tarp and wool blanket, then graduated to a tent. Went to a 19ft tt, then a 32ft tt, then back to tents, hauled on motorcycles. The wife and I took the kids every where on the bikes with tents, all across the country. The kids will never forget all their adventures. We would make a pit stop and strangers were buying the kids sodas and candy. When the kids got old enough to drive they quit riding on the bikes with us and the wife ended up buying a motorcycle pop up camper one raining week in Sturgis. Now we have a 32ft Wildcat. The kids are grown and scattered across the country. When we bought our 5th wheel we almost went with a bunkhouse. We had dreams of taking the grandkids camping. Then we decided that we probably wouldn't hardly ever get to take the grandkids camping so we scrubbed the bunkhouse. We were wrong. When we go camping the kids get wind of it a meet us at state parks with the grandkids in tow. Our 32ft 5th wheel usually has five folks and two dogs packed in it.
It doesn't matter what you have as long as you are having fun.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #35

Started with a tent... just not for me..
Went to a popup...We had great times with it and loved pulling it and the AC was great..
Got a 35 ft bumper pull...Ahhh my own shower and toilet..
Last one is a 41 ft 5th wheel... We love it. Works fantastic for us. Two couples and 4 dogs.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #36

Our first popup was a Coleman Columbia, it was a 6X6 box. Went from that to 2 different Viking popups, then a Jayco 19H hybred TT. We sold that, now 3 years later we have our FR 25FKS. It's taken years to get up to this for us. Sometimes I wish we still had one of the old popups, so much simpler.
Old Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #37

Yeah at times I miss our Rockwood. And at times I wish I would've taken my old man's advice and went right with TT. There are several camp sites we can't go to because our rocket ship is too large. The pop up would come in handy.
todd172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #38

We took a month long trip from southern CA to Upstate NY and back with two of our dogs this summer in our 2016 FR 22 ft. Class C. Like another poster mentioned, it looks huge parked on our driveway because it fits from the garage eave to the sidewalk. Then, in most of the campgrounds along the way we were the smallest RV in the park! I wasn't envious though because DH no longer drives, and the whole system is up to me. I am happy to have a motorhome that I can handle and manage. It's also perfect for beach camping, which we and our dogs really enjoy. Initially, we set out to buy a TT to tow with our Honda Pilot, but after researching I concluded that pulling an 18' TT would strain and eventually wreck the transmission of the Pilot. So, we bought the motorhome. I made the sales contract contingent on it fitting on the driveway, and it fits to the inch without obstructing the sidewalk. So, we won't be moving up!
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch94 View Post
...talking about my Rockwood Freedom 1640, while all you guys are talkin' about your "rocket ships"...
Yeah, you'll be OK. Try camping for 10 years in a 8' Jayco popup with 4 kids and a dog. One summer we spent 90 nights camping in our popup and have memories to last a lifetime.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #40

Our new-to-us Rockwood 2701 is bigger than the TT it replaces, but when we went camping with our buddies this spring it looked tiny in comparison to all the giant fivers. No matter... it's what we like and want!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote