Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 04:59 AM   #21
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Campgrounds have a lot of rules, I know why and I do my best to obey them. It's their property, I'm just a guest.
Couldn't have said it better.

If "visitors" don't like the rules; they should build their own campground and invite others to it. That way they can see what it takes to "maintain the environment" when others don't like/follow the rules that are in place to make it enjoyable for everyone. Not saying all the rules work as intended, make sense or that I see the purpose in them; but, I'll bet it doesn't take long to "see the light".

Just read the thread "Mondays at the Tire Shop" and you'll get a taste of dealing with the public.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:18 AM   #22
Site Team

This thread is not about campground rules nor whether guests do/don’t like the rules nor whether guests do/don’t obey campground rules. It’s about some guests attempting to add their own rules to the campground’s rules.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #23
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
We stayed at one campground that the speed limit signs said 5 1/2 MPH. We looked at each other and said really, 5 1/2 MPH? I should have taken a picture!

I do when I find odd things. NM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	279904  
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #24
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This thread is not about campground rules nor whether guests do/don’t like the rules nor whether guests do/don’t obey campground rules. It’s about some guests attempting to add their own rules to the campground’s rules.
And that's because you said so, right? Does anyone beside me see the irony?
Centerline TS WDH
Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
No, it’s because the OP said so.
?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I'm sorry, I do not.

The only connection I can possibly see you are trying to make is the OP is part of the site team and another site team member reminded us of the direction of the thread.

If that's the road you are trying to go down, you shouldn't

Site team members are R/Vers just like the rest of us and entitled to to post their thoughts and site team members also keep this train on the track.

Just my 2¢.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
^^This.

I was literally following the rule I was being accused of breaking. I don't like being shamed for doing something wrong when was wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

I'll admit that I've done my fair share of telling people to slow down when they drive by my campsite. It's usually not difficult to tell when someone is going faster than they should be.

And if I was going a little fast at the time, I would've apologized and slowed down. But I wasn't. That's what annoyed me.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #28
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If that's the road you are trying to go down, you shouldn't
I didn't glean the same interpretation that he did and as such I said so. I just thought it was odd to be calling someone out and do exactly what that person is accused of. But as you say I'm entitled to my opinion also, so the veiled innuendos are unnecessary. Give it a rest.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 10-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
A bit of a vent but I had to get it out there.

So my wife and I were out and about on Sunday afternoon around 3ish and decided to go check out a CG that we had been to a few times previously but had gone through a few ownership changes and some expansion recently. We are fairly happy with our seasonal site where we are at but we are always on the look-out to see what else is out there.

We were hoping to talk to someone in the office but they were closed so we decided to just take a drive around the CG to see what was new and how many open sites there were.

This was a fairly large campground but being late Sunday about 90% of the campers had already closed up and headed for home. We passed a few people sitting outside but not many.

So we are creeping through looking around and we passed a couple of groups of people sitting around their campfires. We waved as we passed as is customary but it turned out we were on a dead-end/turn about so we turned around and passed the same groups a 2nd time.

As we were passing the first group my wife happened to have her window down and someone yelled out "Slow down!".

I looked at my speedometer when I heard that and we were literally going 6 MPH. If I was going any slower I would've been stopped.

Then as we pass the second group they also shout at us about what the speed limit is. We simply shouted back, "We are only doing 5 MPH. Just looking around."

We've been seasonal campers for many years. Most places have a speed limit sign of between 5 and 10 MPH. The one we stay at is no different. I know how to travel slow through a CG. I also know it's pretty easy to tell if someone is going through at 10/15/20 MPH which we obviously weren't.

This is a CG that we had debated on going seasonal at many years ago. The only things that stopped us were the fact that it's a little farther than we'd like to drive every weekend and the fact that they don't allow golf carts.

The fact that they can't tell the difference between 5MPH and 20 MPH (which is what most golf carts can easily get up to) is probably the reason.

It kind of left a bad taste in our mouths about the place and added a 3rd reason as to why we will be unlikely to take up seasonal residence there.
You and your wife have my sympathy. People can be rude. No one likes being yelled at. Well, maybe some people do.

I would have rather had them ask if they could help you at which point there would have or could have been a cordial, polite, friendly, short, discussion about the campground

Btw, I wave from the MH or the toad to other campers or to others driving or walking by my campsite with a hello.. It's a sign of being friendly. I need all the friends I can get

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #30

Quote:
I did check that when we got back to our campground. I let my vehicle idle just to see what I would go up to. It was around 8 or 9 MPH.

And it's virtually impossible to distinguish between 5MPH and 8 MPH when someone is driving by.
Many years ago, my father was involved in a test done by the NJ state police.
They tried to determine if a trooper could judge speed simply by sight.
They would run two cars by a bunch of troopers.
One at a time.
Same speed, but with different exhaust sounds.
Invariably, the troopers would rate the speed of the noisy vehicle as being significantly faster than the quiet one.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
Invariably, the troopers would rate the speed of the noisy vehicle as being significantly faster than the quiet one.
Are you trying to say that they have a noisy truck?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
Old 10-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #32
Canadian Member

As a referee doing kids hockey games I had to get used to people offering their thoughts on what I was doing. Those people are poor ambassadors for their campground. Between the cliques and overly friendly neighbours, I have no interest in getting a seasonal site.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #33
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
We stayed at one campground that the speed limit signs said 5 1/2 MPH. We looked at each other and said really, 5 1/2 MPH? I should have taken a picture!
Reminds me of the buoy's at the boat launches that say "NO WAKE ZONE - MAX SPEED 8 MPH". Why 8 MPH, I don't know. On most boat speedometers the interpolation between 0 and 10 MPH is the width of the needle. ???
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:54 PM   #34

Quote:
It's usually not difficult to tell when someone is going faster than they should be.
The usual giveaway where I like to camp here in the west is the huge dust cloud following the vehicle

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #35

Cliques

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
That's why we NEVER contemplated going to seasonal sites. The "homesteaders" at these places have a tendency to develop cliques as well as mini HOA's. They actually think they're in charge of fiefdom. My bride says they suffer from Delusion of Grandeur. NOPE, make it point to avoid those places.
I hate to say this, but RV clubs are the same way. They pick out a group of people they want to hang out with and basically exclude the rest of the RVers. I stomached it as long as I could and we finally disconnected from it. Example, we had truck trouble (two injectors stuck closed)going from town to another on a RV caravan with our club. When we got into the campground, it was late afternoon and our truck was just blowing black smoke out the tailpipe. We ask where the nearest Chevy dealer was and it was close. After sitting up our CC, we decided to wait till morning to drive over there. The group was going out to eat that night and out of about 15 couples, only one ask us to ride with them, so we wouldn't have to drive our truck. No one came over when we got there to see what our problem was and yet I remember other people having issues and a half dozen men would rush right over to see if the could help them out. We never did anything to these people and were very friendly from the start.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:19 PM   #36

No harm intended but many campgrounds have jerks, they want to be in charge and enforce the rules themselves. Now with that being said I wasn't there so I really don't know. I would have just ignored the idiots!
MICHAEL G WARREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL G WARREN View Post
No harm intended but many campgrounds have jerks, they want to be in charge and enforce the rules themselves. Now with that being said I wasn't there so I really don't know. I would have just ignored the idiots!
I agree. Seems to be jerks everywhere!!! Even here. If he says they weren’t speeding, we should take him at his word. I’ve been warned about certain campers at a Campground before. I can appreciate safety but sometimes it’s taken too far.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #38

A "seasonal" camper barked "Slow Down" at my wife after she jumped out of our car at the trash bin (she was not driving...I was.) He was rolling by in his golf cart, of course. I may have been exceeding the campground speed limit by a little bit but seems like even adding a "Please...slow down" would be a bit kinder and gentler...along with maybe a smile. Of course, some people are not wired for that type of communication. This guy should be glad my wife didn't find him later and say "hello!"

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:41 AM   #39

Unfortunately there are far too many "Karens" out there these days.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:26 AM   #40

My observations/experience at campgrounds.....the more "permanent" residents there, the more you have the kind of rudeness/comments made like those note by the OP and others. We like to try new campgrounds but they are a one and done if there are a lot of permanent.

Tags
campground, mpg