Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Explorer

Camping tradition; snipe hunt

Keeping the elusive snipe alive; my girls are senior hunters, still a little slow on catching, and now teaching their cousins the technic. They are aware; they’re just keeping the tradition alive. Plus any reason to run around at night with flashlights or maybe they just like messing with their younger cousins. The way you can tell if the teaching is going well. The next morning, I am sitting in a chair watching the sunrise, coffee in hand, how could this get any nicer? From my sister’s camper out comes my nephew and he is intent, at first I don’t get it but he is on a mission. Poking through leaves, looking between tree roots, spying through coverts………….then it sinks in he is still on the hunt(he’s hooked). It was almost better than watching a 6point buck walking through the morning light; Life is oh so good when the littlest things can still make you smile.
I am sure there are many ways to find snipes, those mouse-like/bird-like, nocturnal critters, that always seem to be around but rarely fully found. You can’t put light directly on them or they’ll vanish(shape-shift); their very well camouflage. We use a paper bag, crinkling it to call them in plus you need something to put them in when they’re caught. The only “problems” with the paper bag is not being able to see in and they are a little too ridged to feel them moving around. Often while opening the bag, to see your catch, that bird-like critter will seem to fly out(oh ya, they’re fast). Many other times, when I am sure I have finally captured one, I open the bag to only find a rock(seems it hard to see things you can’t put your light on and I often grab the wrong thing).
Added bonus to the kids on a snipe hunt: first it helps to take the edge off the sugar- high from s’mores and even better, getting some quiet time by the fire with the wife.
Anyone else snipe hunting out there, and what’s your technic?
Any other traditions? We also do treasure hunts and hunting for treasure using dad-made map.
Camping is good,
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Snipe hunts are great.

We've been having great fun with the "dad-made" treasure maps now for a few years when we first get to a site and my three girls - 10, 8, and 7 - are loving it.

I'll spend the first evening, when they are in bed, making the maps and hiding these along with the treasures. Each treasure is relatively small (dime, Pokemon card, etc) and includes a map showing the next spot to find. I'll make about ten maps and the last spot includes something big for each girl.

On longer trips to CGs we know well, the big treasures for each one are generally a voucher to something that they each like to do. My oldest likes to ride horses, middle likes to make art so there is a craft place for her and youngest seems to like whatever the middle child likes at the time. Luckily for me, they all like to fish so that's the default treasure if my DW and I can't find anything else.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Love the map idea!!!
Aunti-Mgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like fun .

We do scavenger hunts as well but we have them find things were not sure that's there or not......

I hope we arrange a scavenger hunt at the goshen rally ....
One for adults and one for the children.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote