Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Camping with no destination

As my wife and I get closer to full-time retirement, we hope to begin making journeys of 2-3 weeks or longer with Point A and Point B being our home in South Carolina. Camp 2 or 3 days or more until wanderlust sets in and then look to find another interesting site. What are some resources to help find campgrounds and points of interest along the way? Thanks so much!

Golfish
2018 Rockwood A213HWESP
Golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Get the RV Parky app in the Google play store. We used it extensively when traveling down the west coast highway this summer. It's free and the commercials were not much of a hassle.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are several we use...
RV Parky
Allstays (Camp & RV)
Park Advisor
Even searching campgrounds (or any other POI) on good ol' Google Maps does a great job.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Also, you could buy an RV GPS unit (Rand McNally, Garmin, Tom Tom)...

I have two Rand McNally GPS units and they are loaded with campgrounds, plus you can download lots of POI's (Points Of Interest) into them and just look at the road in front of you to see what's there!

Been working for me!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

We use RV Park Advisor to find campgrounds https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rktime.android
We also use www.recreation.gov which finds campgrounds and other tourist areas.
Also, we go to the koa.com site and look for campgounds. They are usually located near recreation areas. If you find a campground and go to the campground information, there is a tab that shows 'attractions' in that area and we've found some interesting sites that way.
Searching Google for 'campgrounds near....' words too.
I noticed you have an interest in fishing. Corps of Engineers parks are almost always located near water and have fishing as their main draw.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We use RV Park Advisor to find campgrounds https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rktime.android
We also use www.recreation.gov which finds campgrounds and other tourist areas.
Also, we go to the koa.com site and look for campgounds. They are usually located near recreation areas. If you find a campground and go to the campground information, there is a tab that shows 'attractions' in that area and we've found some interesting sites that way.
Searching Google for 'campgrounds near....' words too.
I noticed you have an interest in fishing. Corps of Engineers parks are almost always located near water and have fishing as their main draw.
Not sure if that is fishing or golfing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick responses

All of your suggestions sound great and what I was looking for. I will be investigating all over the next few days. We are planning a 3-week trial journey next summer and the following year hope to be able to hook up and go whenever and wherever possible. And it is FISHING and GOLF. I was fortunate enough to be able to combine both into a career before semi-retiring. Grandchildren and camping have now overtaken the other interests. But we usually look for lakeside campsites when possible and we’ve visited several state parks with golf courses.

Golfish
2018 A213HWESP
Golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

We also use RVparky, but we have a Good Sam (aka Camping World) printed guide book. It's handy for planning our next stop when we're camping or driving where there is no cell service.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

As for finding things to do or see, every state has a tourism department. Most put their guides online. That's a good place to start.

Start now digging through them and build up a list of places you'd like to see. You don't have to create a strict itinerary, but you can have a list handy when you head in a direction.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Always Learning

I keep a mental list of interesting places to go to. I pick them up from forums, Facebook groups, and travel articles. From there, I start compiling a list of other things to do in an area.

I’ll look at a map to see what kinds of destinations are nearby. RoadTrippers.com can be helpful for finding neat places to go and things to see.

We’ll string together a bit of legs of a trip and start exploring.

Often times, we end up with future “pins” in our travel. Places we have to be by a certain date for one reason or another. Say rallies, family reunion, an event at Disney, graduation for a friend’s kid, and now this upcoming year: the Albuquqerque Balloon Fiesta again.

We’ll frame our travels around those pins. If I have to be in New Mexico by October, I’ll plan a couple month path to it.

Our goal is to keep travel days to 250 miles and stay at least a week. 2-3 is preferred since I still work fulltime. We strive to avoid back to back travel days.

Here are some more thoughts in this article:
Let’s go! Trip planning apps and websites | Learn To RV
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #11

I got back a week ago from exactly that kind of trip. I had only one destination selected on my way "out" but I kind of wandered along getting there.

I used RV Parky for the few RV Parks I did stay in, mostly to refresh my water tank, dump my holding tanks, and do my laundry. Between campgrounds I boondocked.

I also use an app named "Free Campsites". A good selection of everything from BLM, COE, NF campgrounds (with and without fee) as well as parking lots and "wide spots on the side of the road".

Don't overlook just exploring. The nicest free campground I stayed in was found by just "snooping" down a Forest Service road in northern Cal. Had it all to myself and it was big enough to host a party of several RV's. Not on any maps but I found it while heading to a campground in the free campsites app

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #12

Campendium

Use Campendium. I'm a full-timer who never plans my moves more than a few days ahead, and I've found it to be the best by far in terms of coverage, selectability (you can choose to see just RV parks, state parks, free boondocking sites, parking lots, etc.), web site layout, reviews and photos. It lists dump stations too.

https://www.campendium.com/

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Great Site
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #14

My wife used the Good sam planner for names.

Keep in mind for next year. Most state and federal parks are full well in advance,

Private, more expensive places, fill up second.

We had good luck in June and July with no reservations.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #15
Ann

Planning a loose travel plan is our favorite. I use Reader's Digest Off The Beaten Path. The book is available used from Amazon. It is designed to show interesting places by State. We like to spend 10 days or so in one state. I sketch the outline of the state. Draw the major roads to give me orientation. Then I read each article and write down ones we might be interested in. I rank them A, B, C. I put the number on the maps, just for reference. Then my husband reads the same state info. He doesn't do the same detail as I , but it gives us a talking point. I check what day it is open, whether dogs are allowed, etc. I loosely plan our state visit and then use the app ALLSTAYS to determine where we might stay. I do not like to make any reservations, because life happens. Last week we had a 3 week trip planned. Because we are on the east coast, I made reservations. Well...we both got sick..bronchitis for me and pneumonia for my husband. I had to cancel all the reservations. Costly loss of money. The only time it is hard finding a campsite are weekends when two or three days are required. Often that doesn't work for us. Then I search Harvest Hosts to find an overnight site. I am always glad to answer questions. Planning is a great part of The trip. If You are going to Alaska, I have a different reference.
RverAnn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #16

We first decide which direction we're headed then we visit each states tourist bureau on line ...explore a little there and then send away for their state guides in paper version. We highlight the things that we'd like to do and see...and only then do we start looking for parks convenient to those places with the ameneties we like....and the routes to get us there.
Once we reach that stage, I like Good Sam's Trip planner as a simple tool that packs a lot of info AND campgroundreviews.com which not only provides complete info on each park...but lots of reviews by fellow campers ...and extra tips... so there are few surprises about the places when you arrive.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 PM   #17

We've done several two week trips.

What worked for me was using a paper map from AAA to give me an idea of distances and types of roads.

Then I look for small towns or cities where I would like to stop for overnighters or short stays. Then I use Google Earth to actually see what the area looks like. This has helped me narrow down my choices.

Also, before laying down my plastic on these parks, I actually call them on the phone to talk to someone about conditions and amenities. We have been burnt before on just relying on website information. Some parks will actually flat lie on their websites.

Happy trails!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #18

We use an app called RoadTrippers that is not specific to RV's but shows interesting sights based on highway exits. Allows you to watch what interesting site might be coming up as you cruise along. iExit is a similar app.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #19

if you're self contained, and have a great 'off grid' setup, then you can easily 'camp' no matter when or where you are at...whether a 'destination', or just a place to park for the night.
We've found that you miss so much by only going on a 'destination' route, even if it's just the next campground or rv park - it requires you to subconsciously have to 'meet' a timeframe or route.
While it's probably pretty uncommon for any of us to 'travel' without any real destination or any given day, it allows for slower driving, driving down different roads and highways than you might otherwise travel, and being able to have the ability to simply pull over into towns, areas, or sights that you might otherwise never see, or even know about.
The same can be said for 'camping' spots... we have found SO many beautiful city and county parks that would never show up on any 'camping' apps - many of these are spacious, some can be even full hookups, and a few are even FREE! We found these by simply taking our time and not trying to 'reach' a certain destination in a specific time frame, giving us the ability to take an interesting looking exit, stop at a road-side stand, or seeing something on google maps that would never have appeared without zooming into the area really, really, closely. Even many times the locals know about places to camp that might not be advertised or show otherwise anywhere else.

A good example is several local county campgrounds in our area. Neither are advertised. Neither show up on any 'camping' sites. Even finding 'who' to contact to camp there can sometimes be a mystery, or hard to make contact with, but both are EXTREMELY cheap to use, are not in areas where you might accidentally drive by and see them, provide 30amp electric and water, and even a few 50amp sites, and almost EVERY site is right on the lake! Crazy. (don't spread this around, I don't want a run of RVs or else I won't have a place myself!) : )

travel, go without reservations, take you time, stop at interesting spots, drive thru towns - not around them, take country roads - not interstates....... enjoy!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
if you're self contained, and have a great 'off grid' setup, then you can easily 'camp' no matter when or where you are at...whether a 'destination', or just a place to park for the night.
We've found that you miss so much by only going on a 'destination' route, even if it's just the next campground or rv park - it requires you to subconsciously have to 'meet' a timeframe or route.
While it's probably pretty uncommon for any of us to 'travel' without any real destination or any given day, it allows for slower driving, driving down different roads and highways than you might otherwise travel, and being able to have the ability to simply pull over into towns, areas, or sights that you might otherwise never see, or even know about.
The same can be said for 'camping' spots... we have found SO many beautiful city and county parks that would never show up on any 'camping' apps - many of these are spacious, some can be even full hookups, and a few are even FREE! We found these by simply taking our time and not trying to 'reach' a certain destination in a specific time frame, giving us the ability to take an interesting looking exit, stop at a road-side stand, or seeing something on google maps that would never have appeared without zooming into the area really, really, closely. Even many times the locals know about places to camp that might not be advertised or show otherwise anywhere else.

A good example is several local county campgrounds in our area. Neither are advertised. Neither show up on any 'camping' sites. Even finding 'who' to contact to camp there can sometimes be a mystery, or hard to make contact with, but both are EXTREMELY cheap to use, are not in areas where you might accidentally drive by and see them, provide 30amp electric and water, and even a few 50amp sites, and almost EVERY site is right on the lake! Crazy. (don't spread this around, I don't want a run of RVs or else I won't have a place myself!) : )

travel, go without reservations, take you time, stop at interesting spots, drive thru towns - not around them, take country roads - not interstates....... enjoy!

A big "Amen" to this. Exactly how I rolled on my last trip. Amazing how relaxing a trip can be without the stress of having to be somewhere at a specific time/day.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping