Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We own two folding Ecotric fat tire bikes and really like them. We've put a good many miles on ours as well and they have been simply awesome.
We have two of these also. They are great and the price is reasonable. I can now keep up with the grandkids all day long.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Used several of the Specialized E-Mountain bikes, very impressed. Just not ready to spend the money for 2 and need the exercise. They were a blast going up trails with.
Totally agree. I already have a few thousand dollars worth of bikes now so can't swallow the price of a Specialized Ebike. But they ARE sweet.
There's a big difference between regular Ebikes, like the Rad or folding ones and Ebikes like the Specialized Turbo Levo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #23

I am curious about the benefits of the wide tires that seem popular on "fat" e-bikes. Is it just to let you ride in soft sand or off-road or are they more comfortable? My concern is that the tires are too wide to fit on most conventional bike carriers. Also the greater weight of the e-bikes makes them too heavy for some regular bike racks. The weight of these bikes also make them challenging for us old folks to pick up and load on a bike rack. I saw one mention of a bike carrier that had a ramp for loading. That seems like a good solution. Any specific recommendations for a heavy duty bike rack that is not too hard to load?
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
I am curious about the benefits of the wide tires that seem popular on "fat" e-bikes. Is it just to let you ride in soft sand or off-road or are they more comfortable? My concern is that the tires are too wide to fit on most conventional bike carriers. Also the greater weight of the e-bikes makes them too heavy for some regular bike racks. The weight of these bikes also make them challenging for us old folks to pick up and load on a bike rack. I saw one mention of a bike carrier that had a ramp for loading. That seems like a good solution. Any specific recommendations for a heavy duty bike rack that is not too hard to load?
I have a Hollywood bike rack that was purchased several years ago for 2 recumbent bikes, which have narrow tires. Etrailer carries parts for Hollywood racks and I was able to buy the tire holders for my Rad Rover ebike, which has 4” tires and swap out the holders on the rack. I’m 75 and with the motor off the bike I’m able to lift the front end to put the tire in the tire holder and then do the rear. Harbor Freight makes a small motorbike carrier the has a ramp so no need to lift with that one.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #25

We have 2 magnum premium folding step-thru bikes can put both in back seat of f150. don't even have to fold

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim CB View Post
I honestly don't understand the point of a ebike of course my perspective is that a bike is not only for transportation and pleasure, it is just as much about fitness unless there is a physical issue, but even then a bike can help overcome this issue in some cases. I much prefer to peddle a bike than use other means and if I don't have a bike to get someplace, I drive.
Nice thing about an e-bike, you don't have to use the "e" and can just pedal all you want.

The throttle on mine is nice at intersections as it's just twist and go. Start pedaling when both feet are on the pedals.

I pedal almost all the time and just set the pedal assist to get the amount of effort i feel like.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Nice thing about an e-bike, you don't have to use the "e" and can just pedal all you want.

The throttle on mine is nice at intersections as it's just twist and go. Start pedaling when both feet are on the pedals.

I pedal almost all the time and just set the pedal assist to get the amount of effort i feel like.
The problem is that an Ebike is much heavier than a comparable regular bike so by only pedaling it, it is way harder.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #28

Quote:
My Rad Rover has 26" tires as well as 4" wide. Extremely stable and tires can be aired down if riding on rough surfaces for more comfort.

Weight wise, 64 pounds but 10# less if battery is removed. Just unlock and slip off. Even less w/o front wheel which i remove so it fits in rear seat of my truck.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The problem is that an Ebike is much heavier than a comparable regular bike so by only pedaling it, it is way harder.
That's the point. Anyone who says an ebike is cheating hasn't ridden one.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #30
NXR

Quote:
I am curious about the benefits of the wide tires that seem popular on "fat" e-bikes. Is it just to let you ride in soft sand or off-road or are they more comfortable?
Both to me. The bike shop said to keep our fat tires at 20 lbs instead of the sidewall pressure and they would be fine for street or trail riding. They said they had one person air the tires up to the sidewall pressure of 35 lbs and they experienced rapid abnormal wear.

On a recent trip the paved bike path turned to 0.3 miles of stone, gravel, dirt and hills due to lake erosion washing out part of the paved path. The fat knobby tires and electric motor took it in stride. No slipping at all.

That path actually was the only time we've ridden them "off-road" except for sme places where we had to ride on grass. Plus the beat-up concrete side streets around here are qwap and the fat tires make them a lot easier to ride on.

Quote:
Also the greater weight of the e-bikes makes them too heavy for some regular bike racks. The weight of these bikes also make them challenging for us old folks to pick up and load on a bike rack.
As others have noted, removing the battery saves you about 8 pounds. My wife, who has a bad back, and I can lift the bikes together into the Equinox easily. I can do it myself if needed but they are about 46 lbs without the battery. And I am of Medicare age.

There are some carbon frame bikes that weigh in the 30's but they are expensive. The Thule EasyFold XT2 I mentioned can handle two bikes of 65 pounds apiece. With the optional long ramp and the "Walk" mode of the ebikes the hardest part is lifting the bike rack into the 2" hitch receiver.

Why? That thing weighs in the 40's as I recall. it does have two wheels so it can be moved from the garage to the car just by wheeling it over.

And the EasyFold XT2 is not cheap, about $800 with the extra long wheel straps for the fat tires and the optional longer ramp. But we hope to use these ebikes for a long time and I wanted to minimize any chance for hurting myself while using them. I also wanted to make it easy to decide whether we should bring the ebikes on a trip. If they were a serious hassle to get loaded and unloaded we probably wouldn't bring them as much.

Yes, I also bought a new $350 bike helmet because my other one was 30+ years old.

They really are a lot of fun. We use them to pick up prescriptions, run to a local restaurant for carry-out because one has a really wide basket, etc.

Ray
Old 08-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #31
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's what I had heard as well but with the 7-speed gearing I can maintain 10-12 MPH on a level road just by pedaling and I'm basically a couch potato. Yes, I do bump the throttle to go up hills or turn on the Pedal Assist when I get fatigued.

Ray
Old 08-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #32

I am 61 and hopefully will never have to resort to an ebike. My neighbor has one that I tried and it will go 35 mph without pedaling. Seems like that's a motorcycle to me. Heard there is legislation in some states that will require certain ebikes to get motorcycle insurance.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I am 61 and hopefully will never have to resort to an ebike. My neighbor has one that I tried and it will go 35 mph without pedaling. Seems like that's a motorcycle to me. Heard there is legislation in some states that will require certain ebikes to get motorcycle insurance.
Only class 3 e-bikes go over 20 mph and to go 35 they are more likely "tweaked".

Class 1 and class 2 (based on motor size) are allowed pretty much anywhere a regular bike is allowed. Class 3 are only allowed on streets. They may even require drivers licenses as well as licenses on the bike itself.

Most states are following the same pattern for laws.

Here in WA electric vehicles have been allowed on streets as long as they don't go over 35. Typically electric trikes used by seniors and/or disabled. We've got several around where I live and often golf carts.

Great for traffic as rarely do their drivers go over 20.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #34
NXR

Quote:
Only class 3 e-bikes go over 20 mph and to go 35 they are more likely "tweaked".

Class 1 and class 2 (based on motor size) are allowed pretty much anywhere a regular bike is allowed.
The ebikes we looked at all were software-limited to 20 MPH. You could go faster but the motor would shut down so it was pedal-only at the higher speeds. It was an easily-found hidden menu option on the LCD screen that enabled the Class III mode.

Someone I know set the exact model ebike I have, which has a 500 watt motor, to Class III mode and it got up to 32 MPH and that wasn't even downhill.

The battery isn't going to last real long at that speed, though. Neither are you if you crash at that speed.

Ray
Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #35

Quote:
\Class 1 and class 2 (based on motor size) are allowed pretty much anywhere a regular bike is allowed.
Not where they say "no e-bikes". Keep them off of bike paths and single track trails and I am fine with them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #36

Many state parks on the east coast have stopped allowing e bikes on bike trails . Mostly on gravel /dirt trails so far.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #37

2 month ago I got my e bikes and I really love them, I am hooked. Problem was there were no bikes available anywhere in the states, not Walmart nor online. Only backorder.
She is 5 ft tall so I needed a step thru bike where the saddle goes really low - the Rad city step thru was just perfect. It is a heavy, solid bike and she loves it.
I took the risk and ordered mine directly from china:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_
It took less time to get it then hers from Rad power, and itis a great bike! Lightweight (1.5lbs heavier than my old bike), 800W 17.5 Samsung battery with 21 gears - without the battery it rides like a normal bike. I do not regret at all to order it direct, price was 1018$ free shipping taxes included, hers 1499$ free shipping plus 98$ taxes......
Both Bikes came in a perfect box, packaging was very similar . And the best thing was customer support: had a minor issue, the shop answered immediately and sent a spare part via air .
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #38
jkoenig24

GOOD e-bikes are EXPENSIVE. The Montague Paratrooper Pro alone that I bought was $1000 (plus tax). Adding a 48VDC e-bike system added about $2,400 to that $1k. Throw in a carry bag (the Paratrooper Pro is a FOLDING bike) and a few other odds and ends and, the total bill starts approaching $3500! I thought I'd be using an e-bike MUCH more. That simply has NOT been the case for me. Even if you get away for $2k ~ $3k, that's still a big chunk of change (in my opinion). I'd recommend starting with a GOOD folding bike, just to see how much you will ACTUALLY USE a bike. Once you're SURE that an expensive e-bike WILL get used, THEN you can pay the big bucks to upgrade.

One reason I have NOT used my e-bike as much as I thought I would is the fear of theft. Even when locked up, it's relatively easy to defeat a cable or chain and, ride or carry off an expensive e-bike. When I was "out and about" on my e-bike, I was basically tied to it so as to insure that it would NOT "disappear".
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
GOOD e-bikes are EXPENSIVE. The Montague Paratrooper Pro alone that I bought was $1000 (plus tax). Adding a 48VDC e-bike system added about $2,400 to that $1k. Throw in a carry bag (the Paratrooper Pro is a FOLDING bike) and a few other odds and ends and, the total bill starts approaching $3500! I thought I'd be using an e-bike MUCH more. That simply has NOT been the case for me. Even if you get away for $2k ~ $3k, that's still a big chunk of change (in my opinion). I'd recommend starting with a GOOD folding bike, just to see how much you will ACTUALLY USE a bike. Once you're SURE that an expensive e-bike WILL get used, THEN you can pay the big bucks to upgrade.

One reason I have NOT used my e-bike as much as I thought I would is the fear of theft. Even when locked up, it's relatively easy to defeat a cable or chain and, ride or carry off an expensive e-bike. When I was "out and about" on my e-bike, I was basically tied to it so as to insure that it would NOT "disappear".

That's why you don't use a cheap cable, chain, or lock. The idea is to make YOUR bike harder to steal than THE OTHER GUY's.

As for expensive, that was what the founder of Rad bikes wanted to combat when designing his bikes. They sell direct to cut out the markup of the middle-man. A nice solid, reliable, e-bike for a lot less than a similar bike sold through a multi-level supply chain.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #40
NXR

Quote:
I queried my insurance agent since the same policy covers our house, cars, and the motorhome. This was their response:

"I have confirmed that the liability from your homeowner policy would cover anyone that you would injure while riding the ebikes. There is not a deductible for liability coverage. The ebikes would be covered for theft under personal property and would be subject to your $xxx deductible. "

I asked about a rider for the e-bikes to get a lower deductible and the agent replied that currently e-bikes cannot be scheduled under a homeowner's policy, at least in Ohio. Each state has different insurance regulations so perhaps you could see if you have coverage another way.

When we lock ours up at the campground we always remove the batteries. That makes them a lot less attractive to a thief, plus many times they just want to steal the batteries.

Ray

Tags
bike