Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

First time at campground

So this will be my first time at a camp ground. I've tent camped in the woods and at the track since I was 4. 2 years ago I bought my toyhauler, and have camped many times with it at the track and in the woods. But this is first time at campgrounds.

What can I expect?

I'm very familiar with hooking up the electric and water, etc

But not familiar with the campground life.

This is a state park in Ohio. Lake hope campground. Camping there as other than a hotel it's the closest to the dual sport I am attending. Now there is no water, I'm fine with that. There are electric and non electric sites and that is it. I reserved an electric site as it was 4 bucks more.

I will be arriving at 8 at night, now most campers will be riding.

Any tips, what I should expect, etc

Would be much appreciated
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

State parks usually have their rules posted. Follow and you will be just fine. We camp mostly at state and national parks ! If the campground has a host, say hello and they will answer any questions.
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

One thing I forgot. It says all sites with electric have 50 am service. Will they also have a 30 am plug? Or will I need an adapter. When I called it was a general call center for reservations
Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

Some do, some don't, you may stop by your local walmart and pick up an adapter in their camping section !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

You can also call the park and ask about the 30 amp plug. Also, allot of parks have water access / fill up location(s) to fill your tanks if needed.

Enjoy it!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Gold Miner At Heart

If that's what it says then yes; you will need an adapter.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It is always good to have an adapter just in case. If you arrive after dark, turn headlights off and leave just parking lights on so you don't irritate other campers. Campgrounds are mostly about respecting each other so don't blare music, let's dogs bark constantly, leave outside lights on overnight etc. Obey the campground rules. Try not to take forever at the dump stAtion with tank flushes etc if there us a line behind you.

I don't know about in OH but in NC state park campgrounds lock their gates at dusk.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
If that's what it says then yes; you will need an adapter.
I run 30 amp. So, I always carry a 50 to 30 dog bone connector. I have found that my electrical protection/warning device will alert to a troubled 30 amp and I then have the option to use the available 50 on the same pole if it is ok.

Seems the 30's get the most use and wear/tear. Better to be prepared than have to move to another site.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Site Team

I agree with the good feedback that has been provided. Noise can carry over from one site to another especially if the sites are pretty close together. I hate to say this but it also common for other campers to cut across someone else's site as a shortcut which can drive many of us crazy. Try not to sweat the small stuff - just get out and enjoy your camping.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
It is always good to have an adapter just in case. If you arrive after dark, turn headlights off and leave just parking lights on so you don't irritate other campers. Campgrounds are mostly about respecting each other so don't blare music, let's dogs bark constantly, leave outside lights on overnight etc. Obey the campground rules. Try not to take forever at the dump stAtion with tank flushes etc if there us a line behind you.

I don't know about in OH but in NC state park campgrounds lock their gates at dusk.
X2, the biggest thing is to respect your neighbors.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #11

We camp almost exclusively in State Parks -
Best advice is to respect your neighbors - watch for the 'quiet hours' and respect them. If you're an early riser, try to keep quiet until 9am or so. Never leave pets unattended (that will be in their rules) and always on a leash.

Know that some people are camping to party... others to enjoy being outside. These two groups do not always mix well. Respecting the others space is key. I agree to a prev poster about people that can/will cut through your site (to get to the bathroom house, etc.). We have dogs and this always freaks them out. Usually just asking that they go around will fix it. (or having our big black lab chase them thru the site works, too).

Usually people are friendly and willing to help/lend tools, etc. We've all needed help, or helped, over the years.
Good luck & Have fun!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I just returned from staying at East Fork State Park near Cincinnati OH and it was open at night. Not sure if it's true for all Ohio parks though.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Might want to check, Many parks now lock the gate at specific time, we have seen some lock them at 6.00 and some at 8.00 pm, Might want to check so you dont get locked out, If this is the case they will give you a code to get in.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
jkoenig24

Many campgrounds have "Camp Hosts". A CH generally parks near the entrance (but not always). Ask if there is a CH where you'll be. Stop by their site and say hello. Let the CH know this is your first time (or that you're new to RVing). Ask if they have any tips for you. Many CHs will go the "extra mile" because they'd like to see that a newbie has a good camping experience and, generally gets off to a good start. The CH is also likely to be knowledgeable about the area in general (ie:what not to miss etc). Although RVing ain't rocket science, there are some perils and pitfalls. I would STRONGLY recommend that you find and attend an RV Boot Camp. The Escapees RV Club offer an excellent Boot Camp (and, will be holding one this July 21~23 in Essex Junction, VT before their big rally; other groups also offer Boot Camps). Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. After completing RV Boot Camp, you WILL be a safer and smarter RVer.

If you're new to driving / towing an RV, get some practice (especially backing) before you hit the road. Early weekend mornings in a large, empty parking lot usually works well. When backing, SLOW is the key. That way, you'll be able to stop and make corrections before any major problems occur.

Welcome and, Happy RVing!

https://escapees.com/knowledge/boot-...essex-bootcamp
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #15

I'm not new to camping at all. Just never been to a camp ground and what they will have at each site. Appreciate all the feed back and suggestions
Old 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #16

You've gotten plenty of good advice. Be nice. Play well. Enjoy. Have camped at both public and private campgrounds and met nice people at all of them
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #17

We OH state park camp often. All that we have been at only have what they post as power on the post.
If you are booking a spot and are are not familiar with the SP call and ask about trees on the sites they leave lots of trees and they can limit slide and awning use.
OH SP's do not let you park on the grass. We just got a new fiver which is 40' but our old one was 37' so many times I had to park the truck up in the parking lot as the Rangers will stop and say something about a tire on the grass 90% of the time.

2017 Brookstone 395RL
cwc510117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #18

Just checked the ohiodnr.gov website for Lake. They list 50amp service which I know at Alum Creek & Deleware, the max is 50 amp but those power towers are equipped with 50, 30 & 110/120 plugs. I would guess all our parks would follow suite..

You can get potable water either at the dump station(s), or, in some cases there are water fountains with spigots throughout the park. The on line park maps show all of those in each park....

Kinda depends on the Rangers and the park as to how stringent they enforce some of the rules that are around...just watch what the surrounding campers that are already there do, and that will give you a pretty good idea of limits...

Just don't be in a hurry to leave if it's on Sunday when everyone else is going home also..if you have someone with you to help at the dump station it helps the flow a bunch... DW drives the MH at the station, I hook up dump line and fill a 5gal bucket to rinse while we wait behind someone, when they pull out, just walk the line up to the dump, secure it and dump. DW takes bucket inside to final rinse once the tanks are empty. Unhook line, rinse while DW pulls up, I can take hose to where she stops out of the way, then the guy behind is moving up..

Just have fun...
Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #19

I have camped at Barkcamp, Salt Fork, & Geneva State Park and there is no problem entering and leaving at all hours.

Mind the kids in the road, too, as well as some of us seniors who are also out playing in the road You can usually find me on my kick scooter.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #20

What connectors you will need depends upon how they wired the pedestal. The state campgrounds here are all 120V/50 amp service and provide 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 sockets and breakers. I also have a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter so I can plug into the 50 amp outlet if needed. None of the state parks have on site water so I fill up the water tank either with a hose before parking or with a 6 gallon water jug I keep with us. I also use the water jug to keep the fresh water tank topped off during our visit.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, mpg