Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

Fort Pickens

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2554942628.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	31758
Marshmstr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

Loving my camper....loving Fort Pickens!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
H2oski

We were down there the week before Memorial Day weekend. You have got to LOVE the drive out there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Site C33 Just make sure your camper door is facing east. If not the afternoon sun is a killer.

Just sit back and enjoy Marhmstr1.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

It has to be the prettiest drive to a beach campground on the gulf coast!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmstr1 View Post
That's just to cool and a BUD on top of it, now that's camping......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Nice!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #7

Fort Pickens

Wonderful campground and spectacular setting!
Don't know if you like aircraft and history or not, but if you do go over to Naval Air Station Pensacola and see the National Naval Aviation Museum.
National Naval Aviation Museum - Home

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Went today!!!!! Amazing museum.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #9

Life is good!

Happy Camping
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

Hi!! Welcome to our area!! I live in Navarre, Fl and we take our boat over there every once in a while..the old prison relics where they kept Geronomo many moons ago is slowly falling apart...I can't believe it lasted as long as it has..I always enjoy checking it out periodically..
Enjoy!!
Pamelaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
daydreaming about camping

Spent a week down there last year, was awesome. If you get a chance and over in Pensacola you might check out Joe Patti's fish store. It is amazing. We picked up several things we don't often see and grilled out several nights.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #12

Joe Patti's is a fantastic seafood market...there are always lots of fishing boats there unloading fresh seafood...We were just there this past weekend and got some swordfish...this is a picture of it cooking on the grill...We had also got a new grilling pan. You're suppose to soak the cedar board then grill food on it for a smoked flavor. We also had zucchini and squash! Yum! First time I had tried swordfish...not fishy tasting at all. Loved it!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joe Patti's.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	32964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swordfish.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	32965  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelaq View Post
Joe Patti's is a fantastic seafood market...there are always lots of fishing boats there unloading fresh seafood...We were just there this past weekend and got some swordfish...this is a picture of it cooking on the grill...We had also got a new grilling pan. You're suppose to soak the cedar board then grill food on it for a smoked flavor. We also had zucchini and squash! Yum! First time I had tried swordfish...not fishy tasting at all. Loved it!!
Hi. How does the fish grill through the cedar board? Also, looks like you have another pan under the board?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #14

Yeah, the board is an insert...you take the board out and soak it for 30 minutes then insert it when ready to cook...
We also bought some spare planks and this is the back of the spare planks package of 3...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cedar Grilling instructions.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	32976  
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelaq View Post
Yeah, the board is an insert...you take the board out and soak it for 30 minutes then insert it when ready to cook...
We also bought some spare planks and this is the back of the spare planks package of 3...
Ty!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #16

I'm down here at Ft. Pickens NP now.
The campground looks to be about 80% full. My site C13 is in a shady spot, however it smells like someone dumped their grey tank right at my door. The computer says that the site will accommodate a 30 ft. trailer and it will. However there is no room for the TV. Since they won't let you park on anything that isn't paved, that leaves me parking in the overflow parking spot with about a dozen other vehicles. Not a big problem unless there is something you need from your TV. This morning I went and got my TV and brought it back to the site.so I could unload some heavy items I couldn't carry. I parked on the grass in order to clear the road. It wasn't three minutes later a park employee was knocking on my door to politely ask that I move back to overflow parking. The site is next to the bath house, however unless you like to sweat, I wouldn't consider using it. It sits directly in the sun all day and there is no AC. I would say that about 1/2 of the sites have a little shade.

There is a small but conveniently located store within easy walking distance of most of the site in sections B, C, D, and E. It has a lot of basic stuff, bacon, hot dogs, milk, beer, dry goods, canned goods, charcoal, a very limited selection of smokes (Marlboro & Camel), beach type stuff such as kite string, nets, etc. If you want a wide selection, I would stock up before hitting the park. However if you run out of a necessity, its a good choice.

The drive into the park is 20mph for about 4 miles through dunes. This is due to the number of baby birds being killed by vehicles. 83 so far since nesting season started. Speaking of babies, there is an Osprey nest on the left as you pass the dump station just past the camp store. They appear ready to leave the nest in a week or so.

The staff is nice and helpful.

One word of caution. The road to the park is subject to flooding during bad weather. If the road is impassable by emergency vehicles the park gets evacuated. This can happen at a moments notice depending on conditions. It happened last week and may of the folks wound up 50 miles away at Gulf SP. I heard the staff at Gulf talking about it when I was checking in on Wednesday. I thought it was a fluke until I checked into Pickens yesterday. They give you a sheet of paper describing exactly what will be required should they have to evacuate.

Lots of history on the island. I like forts and the one here is a good tour. Lots of other artillery batteries from WWI and WWII to look at.

All in all, its a nice park and I'll be back.