Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2024, 06:51 AM   #801
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Anyone take this as a challenge??
Yes!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:30 AM   #802

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:12 PM   #803

We have this exact unit at our campground

Quote:
Anyone take this as a challenge??
That's an MPH Industries Speed Trailer. We have one at our campground. "I've been appointed as the unofficial maintainer of the unit, although the biggest problem is getting people to charge the batteries when needed.

The campground is located in the Tidewater area of Virginia. The sandy soil there is so fine it's like dust. The speed limit for the entire campground is 5 mph. Even golf carts can throw up a cloud of dust if they go any faster. RVs on the busiest roads always have a coating, inside and out.

The unit shows speeds that low, but won't alert at speeds lower than 10 mph. The owner keeps asking if I can hack the internal software to get alerts above 5 mph. If I had a little more documentation than the user manual, I might try it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:25 PM   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

That's an MPH Industries Speed Trailer. We have one at our campground. "I've been appointed as the unofficial maintainer of the unit, although the biggest problem is getting people to charge the batteries when needed.

The campground is located in the Tidewater area of Virginia. The sandy soil there is so fine it's like dust. The speed limit for the entire campground is 5 mph. Even golf carts can throw up a cloud of dust if they go any faster. RVs on the busiest roads always have a coating, inside and out.

The unit shows speeds that low, but won't alert at speeds lower than 10 mph. The owner keeps asking if I can hack the internal software to get alerts above 5 mph. If I had a little more documentation than the user manual, I might try it.
If it were me I'd be pulling it apart to see what it has for brains inside. I've never looked into one of these, but it's likely it has a microcontroller that could be reprogrammed. Lots of reverse engineering though of the radar, display, and power systems on it. Not often you can reliably download and easily reverse engineer the code on a commercial system like that.

If I were up for a project I'd design a new control board for it and reuse the existing chassis, power, radar, and display. But that's just me.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:06 PM   #805

Harder than it looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
If it were me I'd be pulling it apart to see what it has for brains inside. I've never looked into one of these, but it's likely it has a microcontroller that could be reprogrammed. Lots of reverse engineering though of the radar, display, and power systems on it. Not often you can reliably download and easily reverse engineer the code on a commercial system like that.

If I were up for a project I'd design a new control board for it and reuse the existing chassis, power, radar, and display. But that's just me.
I spent a good deal of my career (19 years before retirement, 10 since) reverse-engineering competitor electronics. I'm no stranger to it.

The mainboard is the size of that sign. It's huge and has the RF stuff and a huge array LEDs for the display and a couple of other functions. And all of it is on the front side. It's gotta be three feet square.

The processor is likely to be identifiable--I don't think they would use a custom chip--but I'd have to trace all the inputs and outputs to see what they control. There's a 16-value rotary digital switch (five lines) that sets the alarm level, starting at 10 mph and going up in 5 mph increments. I'd have to find and change the code that reads those inputs and change the base or scale factor. This means working and patching in raw assembly.

Then desolder the instruction store (on the processor chip or separate) and reprogramming it (if erasable) or finding a part equivalent to a 20-year-old part and programming that--if I could find a programmer device for a part that old.

Not planning to take this on. Too many things could go wrong and render the device permanently disfunctional.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:45 PM   #806

Quote:

What? No solar panels??

The one our local city parks in front of our house when people complain about neighborhood speed has a couple small panels mounted flat over dusplay.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:53 PM   #807

Excellent idea. I'm going forward with it.

Any idea how much capacity would be needed? And controller type? I can't remember exactly what the current draw was, but I think it was 4 amps. That's around 100 AH in a day.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:01 PM   #808

Quote:
Excellent idea. I'm going forward with it.

Any idea how much capacity would be needed? And controller type? I can't remember exactly what the current draw was, but I think it was 4 amps. That's around 100 AH in a day.
If the "nameplate rating" is 4 amps that works out to ~50 watts to run the unit (12.5 v nominal).

I'm a fan of MPPT controllers but that pretty much dictates using two or more panels in series so the benefit of higher input voltage can translate to earlier start and later ceasing of charging occurs. Get to use more of the "solar power day".

I'd consider something like three Renogy compact style 50W panels running $46 each, an inexpensive 10 Amp MPPT solar controller (doesn't need bluetooth, etc so can be as little as $15) and then it's just a matter of some pre-punched angle iron to fabricate a mount. 50 watt panels are around 23" X 20" X 1-1/8". Mount "end to end" and wire in series. Mount the inexpensive solar controller inside so no need to pay extra $$$ for weatherproofing.

The 150 watts of "available" solar power should be more than able both keep up with running the unit during daytime as well as provide charging of the batteries. For even more "improvement" dump the Lead Acid batteries and replace with a single 100 ah LiFePo4 battery. Charging is almost 100% efficient compared to the lead acid batteries that are only 75%-85% efficient and that only allows for the I^2R losses due to battery impedence. And then add other factors like temp, as well as the condition of the battery (whether or not it will take a full charge due to age (sulfation).

150w total solar input to an MPPT controller should be able to provide ~12 amps of charging power (peak) and actual PV input current will only be ~4 amp so a small controller is more than adequate. It just needs to be able to handle an input voltate that is 3X the
Voc rating of panel (Renogy 50W=22.3Voc) (note: Vmp for the renogy panels is only 18.6v but I would size the converter for 3x 22.3 volts as that's the max the controller would see in an open circuit condition, just for safety.

Footnote:
Actual power consumed will most likely be far less while in "monitoring" mode and only use max power when it needs to power up the "Alert/Warning" mode. Depending on how many vehicles pass, the it will more likely be more "charge" than "discharge".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:32 PM   #809

Old 02-02-2024, 03:25 PM   #810

Old 02-06-2024, 01:50 PM   #811

Old 02-06-2024, 09:16 PM   #812

Quote:

Did WHAT!! Meeeh??

(I'll never admit that!! )

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:02 PM   #813

Quote:

Truth, how much justice can you afford!
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:57 AM   #814
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
Truth, how much justice can you afford!
I'm going to need someone to define "justice" for me. I've become incredible confused about that word in recent years.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:45 AM   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I'm going to need someone to define "justice" for me. I've become incredible confused about that word in recent years.

There is a difference between moral / ideal Justice and the way the real world works.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:39 AM   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
At our 55+ resort.
If they would only STOP the Drinking the probably, would not be slow.
2021-MB Coachmen, Galleria, 3500XD, 3.0L Turbo Diesel, V6, 190HP, 4x2 Dual, High Top, Cargo Van with 24FL floor plan and Li3 providing us up to 10-hours battery life, 24' feet & 3" inches. Our motorhome we affectionately refer to as "GRETA" If we should cross RV paths, just call us H.L. & Jan,
DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote