Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
Site Team

Love it when a non-plan comes together.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #22

I hope it wasn’t a scam! Let’s see if anyone else had this happen to them
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
I hope it wasn’t a scam! Let’s see if anyone else had this happen to them
It might very well have been. But really, I look at these situations as if it were my sister or Mom having troubles. I'd want someone to look out for them. So, if it was scam - hey, she got $17 or so from me ($10 + 3 gallons of fuel). Hopefully either way, I'm feeding the karma bank for past support I've received and future support that I or my family might need.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabbet View Post
I must agree with FROG Bob about using some small bungee cords -- I do the same with mine and it holds the 7-pin plug firmly in place. Good insurance.
X3
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #25

My ex-step-mother-in-law was at a fuel station in a semi questionable neighborhood fueling up. I man pulls in and announces wheewwww I just ran out of gas... only problem is that I have no money.... She gives him a $20 and he said thanks. Jumped in his car fired it up and drove off.... she was livid.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #26

Been helped a couple of times and did the same for others over the years.

Most memorable was when wife and I were driving cross country in a 20 year old Nissan and the alternator failed and engine died a while later while in the middle of nowhere in Iowa. A truck driver stopped and drove us 150 miles and dropped us off at our doorstep. We were both unemployed at the time with money being very tight and he saved us a lot of hassle. I picked up a used alternator from the junk yard and rode my highschool motorcycle back with my wife to the car and got it fixed and back on the road.

Snowmobiling 3 years ago, I got stuck in 3 feet of snow with my truck and trailer. Nearby town wrecker wanted $800 for a backcountry extraction. An hour later, a Hummer drove by and gave us a free tow. I ran into the Hummer owner's several times next several years at a local Buena Vista, CO restaurant and bought everyone at their table meal each time this happened. It was the least I could do.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It might very well have been. But really, I look at these situations as if it were my sister or Mom having troubles. I'd want someone to look out for them. So, if it was scam - hey, she got $17 or so from me ($10 + 3 gallons of fuel). Hopefully either way, I'm feeding the karma bank for past support I've received and future support that I or my family might need.

It’s like going to church and putting money in the offering plate, I gave the money to the good Lord what happens to the money after that I could care less about. Same way with what you did you gave out of the goodness of your heart. I have been blessed in this life and giving to a person in need makes me feel good. I don’t even think about it if it was a scam , I did my part.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #28

Quote:
So apparently I'm just a magnet for folks who run out of gas. Was at my in-laws doing prep for our big yard sale this past weekend when I car pulled onto their street and stopped in the road. I didn't really see the start, but I saw the guy get out and storm off. As I walked out to check on them, I heard the woman shouting, "I told you! You drove too fast and run us out of gas!"

I told her I had some fuel in the truck and that I'd grab it. I tried making small talk to calm her down a bit. She had 2 little kids in the back seat. Found out she was from the next town over and I was not positive that I had enough fuel to give to get her there. I asked if she had money to get more at a gas station and she said no. Since we've been selling all of our belongings, I went and grabbed her a $10 and gave it to her.

It's funny, had I not saw them come to a stop in the road - I likely would have considered it a scam. I've gotten that exact story in cities across the USA. Maybe it still was, but I felt better giving her a little help.

Now I need to refill the gas cans.
I hope you're around next time I screw something up. [emoji57]

A couple of years back, I was out geo-caching. Coming down a dirt road, I saw something in the road. Stopped and discovered an old purse. At first, I thought it was a discard and just used by a kid. But a quick peak tuthed up a wallet with a bunch of cash. I stuffed everything back in an pulled the location of the nearest police station up on my gps. It being a Sunday, the small town station was closed... Same with the next two stations I tried. Fourth stop in a larger town found an open door. Gave the purse and my info to the dispatcher. That evening, I gather a phone call from the purse owner. She had been out grocery shopping, left the purse on the roof of her car and drove off. She was sure she would never see it, her credit cards, and id again! Not to mention fraudulent use and I'd theft.
She wanted to send me something as a reward, I told her no, but she owed someone a big favor down the road - she had to "pay it forward".
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #29

Quote:
So, if it was scam - hey, she got $17 or so from me ($10 + 3 gallons of fuel). Hopefully either way, I'm feeding the karma bank for past support I've received and future support that I or my family might need.

I would be happier losing $17 bucks than wondering if my decision to NOT help someone was the correct one. For some people at some times in life, that’s a good chunk of change and hopefully they’ll remember your kindness and pay it forward...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote