Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Always Learning

Helped someone today - a crazy set of coincidences

Sit down and let me tell you a story...

Today is a travel day. We got on the road and 15-20 minutes later, the truck chimed that the trailer electrical/brakes had become disconnected. We took the first exit and pulled into a gas station. It was a simple matter that the cord became slightly unplugged (I probably didn't plug it in right). That was easy to fix, but my wife's nerves were shot from driving and knowing she didn't have indicator lights on the highway and then in a city environment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	172941

While she calmed down, I noticed someone stop right at the entrance to the parking lot. I headed over as another man did and we 3 pushed his car to a pump. Only, all of the pumps were bagged with "out of order". That could have sucked for him. BUT, this past Saturday night we boondocked in a parking lot running off of our generator, I had just filled both of my gas tanks. I was able to grab a gas can from my truck and was able to give the kid 3 gallons or so of gas.

We chatted as I dumped the gas in. His name was David and he had just come from a job interview. He asked where we were heading and came from. When I said we lived in our rig, he said that his dad lives in a camper too.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Some would suggest that there are no coincidences.

Glad you could help him and hopefully somewhere along life's journey he will pass it on. It's worked for us on many an occasion.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

A good example that there are still some good folks out there. Good job Doug.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #4

Angel of the day award for you!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

The world is mind-bogglingly vast yet made small by our coincidence stories that expand our neighborhoods and make us question whether our collisions are chances or destinies
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

I hope if we ever have problems on the road that we run into you too!
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #7

Nice job Ependydad. I hope the next time I run out of gas your close by.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Director, FROG

Good job! As Reverse Snowbird mentioned, I hope that David will "pay it forward," and it will go on and on.

BTW, we find that a small bungee does a good job of making sure that the ends of the electric cord stay attached between our RV and the toad.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Silbaugh View Post
I hope if we ever have problems on the road that we run into you too!
No one remembers this more than Edad..... frame break. MMMMM
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #10

��
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #11

🤙🤙
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #12

Smile

Sorry for the length of this.
There are many good people in this world, we just usually hear about the bad ones. I ran into a bunch of good people last week when I was camping at Shenandoah NP, Loft mountain campground. Actually it was out side of the park, I went down to get gas, the closest gas on rt. 33. After I got my gas, my car wouldn't start. I went in to the store to tell them and call road service. There is no cell service there so they let me use the store phone. To make short story, road service would be a tow to the nearest dealer. The ladies in the store not only called a local (well thought of ) mechanic. He was coming in for his lunch and checked the car out, though it was the battery and/or possibly the alternator. We got in touch with road service and they agreed to let him handle the towing to his shop. The younger lady at the store got one of her male customers to help push my car away from the pump. I got the tow to his shop and the battery was replaced after a search, big size battery. Took a couple of hours, but it was just the battery after all. Without these nice people going out of their way to help, I would have had to wait hours for the tow, then who knows how long at the dealer (not to mention what the dealer's labor price would be). Good people really exist.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #13

Thumbs Up!
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
(Dry Huunday)

You are a good man Charlie Brown!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Not all female end receptacles are created equal. Had the same event on my new truck and found the female receptacle was not as tight as on the previous truck. Even though I pushed the cover down to engage the tang on the cord it still worked loosed. Replaced it with another one and use a small bungy cord wrapped around the receptacle to keep it engaged.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #16

I must agree with FROG Bob about using some small bungee cords -- I do the same with mine and it holds the 7-pin plug firmly in place. Good insurance.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #17
Bene Gesserit Rule

Help when Needed

I had a similar experience. I have a Silverado and Heritage Glen 5'er. We had been on the road for a few weeks, were in the middle of nowhere in the great Australian outback. After a few hours of driving following an o/n park at a wet/soft freecamp spot, I was getting concerned about how the steering had become tight and the turning circle restricted. I had stopped on the shoulder and had a good look around but found nothing that would cause this, so we moved on with the intention of looking for a truck service place at the next town. Before then we needed a lunch break and pulled into a parking area for tourists and sightseers. There were a few others there in their 4x4's. After our short stop, we boarded and about to head off, crawling toward the exit when one of the guys in the other group waved at me and signaled me to stop.

He said, "can you hear that strange noise", which I couldn't inside the cab. He looked around the front end, asked me to move the steering wheel from lock to lock then said, "have you got locking hubs" I said no, it is auto 4x4. He then suggested it might be stuck in 4WD mode. I checked the buttons and lights on the dash and lo-n-behold, the dammed thing was in 4 wheel drive mode. A push of the button and all was back to normal.

I had used the 4WD mode to pull us out of a slippery, boggy spot and during the rest of my prep to get going had forgotten to go back into 2WD mode. We had driven about 150 km averaging our usual 90 km/hr, in 4WD. All I can say, some 6 months and 1500-plus km later that boy am I glad I have a Silverado with the Allison box. There is no apparent damage, at least nothing that the service guys could find and we are still going strong. A lesson well learnt and 'thank you' to those guys at that rest stop.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
Always Learning

Thanks all for the kind words. I definitely appreciate it. As Iwannacamp said, I fully know what goes around comes around.

I had to laugh, the kid brought a few dollars over and offered it to my wife. She declined so he tossed it onto the truck seat and quickly turned around so she couldn't protest. I told him I really appreciated it, but he should just pay it forward.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #19

I can't count the number of times I've been on the receiving end of a "good deed". It feels good when you can pass it on.

Yesterday I made helped a couple of girls in a Walmart Parking lot. Really no big deal. Their car wouldn't start, several had attempted to jump start and offer ideas. They had just called for a tow.

I saw that nothing was happening when they turned the key to start. No noise, nothing. Told driver to wiggle shift lever while in park. Instant start.

Us old-timers remember when the Neutral Safety Switch was introduced and how often it was the cause of a No Start.

In the end we both left feeling good. The girls because they didn't have to pay for a tow. Me, because I was able to make another "repayment" on all the roadside assistance I have received in just short of 60 years of driving.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #20
Always Learning

So apparently I'm just a magnet for folks who run out of gas. Was at my in-laws doing prep for our big yard sale this past weekend when I car pulled onto their street and stopped in the road. I didn't really see the start, but I saw the guy get out and storm off. As I walked out to check on them, I heard the woman shouting, "I told you! You drove too fast and run us out of gas!"

I told her I had some fuel in the truck and that I'd grab it. I tried making small talk to calm her down a bit. She had 2 little kids in the back seat. Found out she was from the next town over and I was not positive that I had enough fuel to give to get her there. I asked if she had money to get more at a gas station and she said no. Since we've been selling all of our belongings, I went and grabbed her a $10 and gave it to her.

It's funny, had I not saw them come to a stop in the road - I likely would have considered it a scam. I've gotten that exact story in cities across the USA. Maybe it still was, but I felt better giving her a little help.

Now I need to refill the gas cans.