Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #21

At the speed of jeep....

you may want to watch someone with a newer JK toad with blue ox set up. I can't speak to road master but I would guess they are about the same.

40" from coach bumper.
Set emergency brake.
JK transfer in netural, tranny in park, key out.
Flip the tow bar down.
Hook two pins.
Hook two saftey chains.
Plug in one plug.
Release emergency brake.

Add two minutes if you add the patriot brake.
Push seat back.
Grab the pedal with the spring clip.
Move seat up.
Plug it into the 12 volt.

May have taken longer to type this...

Not trying to sell anyone anything, but it takes me longer to bag 4 of those pesky chairs when we break camp.

The bad side of a toad is that I get itchy when DW pulls in for gas. It goes like this:
Watch how tight you are turning.
DW - I got it, I got it.
Ok, just wanted to remind you.
DW - I wonder if I am too close, will you check?
Your fine just straighten the wheel about a 1/4 turn.
DW- Which way?
Away from the direction you'r tuning.
DW- Well if you are going to tellme how to drive then you do it.
You'r ok. Just watch your mirror.
DW- Which one...

Glad we only fuel one a day on the road.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post

The bad side of a toad is that I get itchy when DW pulls in for gas. It goes like this:
Watch how tight you are turning.
DW - I got it, I got it.
Ok, just wanted to remind you.
DW - I wonder if I am too close, will you check?
Your fine just straighten the wheel about a 1/4 turn.
DW- Which way?
Away from the direction you'r tuning.
DW- Well if you are going to tellme how to drive then you do it.
You'r ok. Just watch your mirror.
DW- Which one...

Glad we only fuel one a day on the road.....
sound normal

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Average Joe

I don't believe age has anything to do with it. It's health. Some folks take care of their body and are blessed with good health far into retirement. Some folks are just the opposite. I am the later and will be grateful just to make it to "retirement".

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #24

Started with tent in the 1960's, popup late 1970's, class c motorhome 2003, bought new 2014 class c year and a half ago. Pull a toad. Now ages 69 and 73, hoping for at least 10 more years or more of RVing. Right now seem to do fine having a class c and hooking up the toad, even though we aren't getting any younger. It's all determination !
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #25

68 and still camping with a pup!
marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #26

Age factor in camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabraz View Post
Not to step on any toes but I am really curious to hear from my older RVing brothers and sisters as to how your age affects your camping activities. I am 57 with a retirement plan of 62. Based on how I've slowed down the last few years I cannot help but ask myself if I will still enjoy hitching up and traveling as much as I do now. Will there come a time when a Class A replaces the 5ver?? I think we all have to admit there is a certain amount of hard work that goes into RVing.
How about it? Any insight or opinion when your age becomes a real factor in these great activities we all love?
Happy Trails this season!
Bought new RV (Sunseeker 2300) when I turned 78! Age is not a limiting factor as much as health and fitness. In the last few years I did the canyons of Utah, South Rim GC and others. I try to cycle as much as I can fit in. Ski downhill and cross-country. I am slowing down though but that's no surprise, you just have to push harder within your limits. Don't be stupid, don't be lazy, and you'll be fine.
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Low 60s here, and tow a 28.5' travel trailer. Looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel when the missus retires in about a year.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryW View Post
... don't be lazy, and you'll be fine.
But lazy is easier and more fun and not nearly as tiring!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #29

Low 60's ,still 2 more years before we take off to travel. I bought new 5er to travel in. 6 point leveler makes it a lot easier. DW said that we will have to keep the house for when we cant do rving full time. I think she's wrong!!
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #30

70 and still enjoy camping(if ya call this camping) Look forward to a fuel stop to stretch or pull in to a rest area for the same reason. Do not want to HAVE to stop pull'n my trailer.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

58 here and we just upgraded from our beautiful pup to a Roo 23ikss HTT. We are a bit nervous about pulling something so much bigger than the pup, but we are for sure looking forward to not setting that thing up any more! That, is for the younger folks, in my opinion! We thought about just giving up the camping, but I refuse to be tied to a hotel room, and limited travel because of the cost of said hotel stay along with possible air travel. One week a year is just not enough of the good old out doors for me! We are in good health, and personally, I think camping and having to exert some type of physical activity in order to set up any type of rig is good for us. We look forward to our older children having kids soon and then it will be a whole new generation of campers! Camp on my friends, camp on! Now if the snow would just melt!!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #32

Your age is only a factor if you let it be. You can keep on truckin', until you are aging no more, and you are planted in a permanent campsite. At that point, getting around becomes a problem. You will probably have to stop.
I'm 64 tomorrow, and looking forward to beach camping with the grandkids this summer!
PJSNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #33

hubby 70, me 64, just went full time in january . . . couldn't love it more!! we have a 2007 sunseeker . . .
memere0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #34

I am a 65 widow and bought the 2014 2501TS and love it. My husband and I were late RV bloomers, our daughter introduced us to the RV world and when we discovered the open road we feel in love. We bought a Class A but after he passed I was leery of driving it so opted for the Class C. I watched my husband quite a bit, thank the Lord, he took care of the outside and I the inside. When I read some of the issues on this forum I have to ask myself if I am over my head. This past year I have lived out of it for about 5 months. My daughter moved to Louisiana and I am in Va so it has served as my home away from home. Mr Joe did get me out of a jam just this past Jan, by the way thanks Mr Joe. I cannot think of anything better than getting out on the open road. As long as I stay healthy, I can't imagine giving it up. Probably TMI but Ya only live once, go for it!
sedanuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #35

Age is really not a factor it is your health, without that you get limited real fast. I keep adding things to my Rockwood to make set up and take down easier. Love the life style but limits do get involved. I have just purchased the 79.00 year GS travel ins. This has some great benefits and worth every penny if god forbid you needed it. I now feel more secure if something happened, I know they will take care of me my family and 5th wheel. Being my DW will not drive it. Not that she couldn't but just won't do it. My Father-in-law is 89 still pulls a 18' allegro with a dirt bike in back of his 3/4 Van. Just loves to camp and play music where ever he go's.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #36

I am 69, my wife 68. Been camping in a hard top camper, tt, tt, a 36ft 5er toy hauler and now a 35ft 5er. Been doing it for 37 years. I retired going on 13 years ago. Used to ride dirt bikes until it started to take a longer time to recover from a fall. Graduated to a quad for a few years. Now it's driving chairs around the camp sight, to the fire and back. We dry camp 95% of the time so we cut firewood, burn it up and go get some more. There are refreshments served at a moments notice. Every other year we put on about 6500 miles or so driving out to the Rockies, visiting with our two older kids and families for a few months and then returning. So far so good. In the middle year we dry camp in the bush in lower northern Michigan and may even go to a regular campground with our grand kids, who live near us. My wife has had both hips and knees replaced. I have back issues but we just keep on going as best we can. Our three kids have there own tts, so they have followed along. As long as I can drive the truck safely, we will keep going. We don't go for weekends anymore. We make it at least 10 days at the shortest. We take double the time to drive out west, which is 7 days now. Used to do it in 3. The younger ones do most of the heavy stuff like falling 50 ft Ponderosa pine standing dead trees. I usually cut them to length and the boys do the axe work. So just do it, enjoy it as much as you can because you never know when it will come to a sudden stop.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #37

How much is a factor in your Age?

I retired from work in February 2007 and I purchased my 1st TT in January 2008. I learned how to properly pull and set up this TT. Since my first purchase I have upgrade to my 4th RV which I own a 2014 Forest River Sanibel 38 foot which I pulled 6,000 miles last year. I am now 67 years old and soon be 68 in July. I was tested last year last years on pulling this house through Big Cities such as Little Rock, Nashville, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Oklahoma City. I passed the test and until when I can not pull this huge RV, I will continue pulling my RV until I become a Hazard to myself, Family and others on the Highways and Byways. Then it is time to quite pulling! Good Luck happy RVing
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #38

68 yrs old with two back surgeries and love our 5r. Plan on camping till the Lord above says no more.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #39

Be Prepared

I am (only) 50 but I often worry about the other people we frequently travel with. I got tired of tent camping at 40 or so. I had a big Southwind for a while but didn't like being "stuck" at a campsite. We moved to the smaller Wolf Pup last year. I have had to haul older people out of the mountains to the ER more than once. My current plan is to add an AED (Defibrilator) to my rig that could be pulled out by anyone in a campground (maybe even have an AED sign on the campsite so people know it's there). I am trying to figure out how to make it available without it being stolen (any ideas?). I would probably crowd-fund the cost of the AED and then maintain the pads and batteries myself. Many of the places we go are 2 or more hours from EMS. I would just say be prepared for anything your age might present.
Wandering Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #40

A gentleman visiting our park just had his 99th birthday he pulls a dolly behind a class A. your only as old as you let yourself believe camp as long as you can