Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Need purchase advice for snorer

Ok, maybe this is a dumb or strange question. I snore very loudly (claims my wife) and she can't sleep at all next to me. At home we have separate bedroom arrangements which work really well for both (yes we've been married happily for 20+ years). We want to buy a travel trailer, the smaller the better. A TT with sofabed doesn't work because I'm tall and wouldn't fit on there so my wife would always be relegated to the sofabed; she doesn't like that. Also where I sleep and where she sleeps can't be right next to each other with only a wall in between (I'm too loud). A bathroom (or enough space) in between would provide enough noise proofing.

As I said the smaller the better. I see ones with bunkhouses that might work (eg Windjammer 3008), but they're all at least 27-30 ft range. Is there anything smaller that might work given our restrictions? Is there some option I'm not considering? Getting a new wife is not an option. (Costs much more and more inconvenience than the biggest trailers.). We can't be the only couple with this problem.

Thanks.
ssmfrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmfrf View Post
Ok, maybe this is a dumb or strange question. I snore very loudly (claims my wife) and she can't sleep at all next to me. At home we have separate bedroom arrangements which work really well for both (yes we've been married happily for 20+ years). We want to buy a travel trailer, the smaller the better. A TT with sofabed doesn't work because I'm tall and wouldn't fit on there so my wife would always be relegated to the sofabed; she doesn't like that. Also where I sleep and where she sleeps can't be right next to each other with only a wall in between (I'm too loud). A bathroom (or enough space) in between would provide enough noise proofing.

As I said the smaller the better. I see ones with bunkhouses that might work (eg Windjammer 3008), but they're all at least 27-30 ft range. Is there anything smaller that might work given our restrictions? Is there some option I'm not considering? Getting a new wife is not an option. (Costs much more and more inconvenience than the biggest trailers.). We can't be the only couple with this problem.

Thanks.
Ear plugs are cheap. My FIL is the same way, it's crazy how loud one can snore.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Snoring is dangerous. Take a sleep study. You may need a c-pap machine . It will stop the snoring.
glorybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybound View Post
Snoring is dangerous. Take a sleep study. You may need a c-pap machine . It will stop the snoring.

I agree. I am an Inpatient Pharmacist with Obstructive Sleep Apnea treated with CPAP. Snoring (sleep apnea) not only reduces your quality (fatigue/drowsiness) of life but it also predisposes you to heart failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #5

I'll third the sleep study. My blood oxygen level got down to 70% with 84 apnea events an hour and it caused me to have a heart arythemia. The cpap looks silly, but you get over that quickly.

Reggie White the football player died of arythemia caused by sleep apnea.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

My wife has that problem. Snores so loud nobody could sleep. Did a sleep study and now she wears a mouth guard when sleeping. Been peaceful for 6 months now.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

I can't agree MORE get a sleep study done Snoring can be very dangerous to your health. See a doctor real soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As said before if you need a CPAP machine your snoring will stop...... My wife sleeps much better since I got one. You & her will sleep much better if that is what you need. & will help your health....... don't put it off.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
PPST OGCDG

2x on all replies. CPAP does work.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Cpap works great for me, I have two one at the house and one I keep in the RV . I have the 12 volt cigarette style plug in the RV for dry camping and the 110 volt house hold style when hooked up .
Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
X3

Snoring is a symptom of sleep apnea. I resisted for years. When I fell asleep at the wheel at 10:00 AM I gave in and am glad I did. It is a dangerous thing and I know you don't hear yourself snore. I sleep through the night now.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #11

Two trailers and park them several sites apart for a buffer.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #12

X100 on the sleep study and CPAP - DH snored terribly, shook the bed with each exhale - took sleep study....was told he quit breathing and/or his heart skipped over 200 times that nite !!! Got CPAP machine of course and now we BOTH sleep very well 😉. Instead of nudging him in the back to quit snoring its now to make sure he is breathing since he sleeps so sound 👍👍. No more morning headaches for him either - JUST DO IT - you both will not be sorry 😄

heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

My wife also claims that I snore so I stayed awake all night to see/hear for myself. She was wrong. I never snored once.

Seriously, go get the test. It will answer a lot of questions and make both your and your wife sleep better.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Times many. The DW's CPAP has saved our marriage and perhaps her life.

Her sleep study has shown her to have sleep apnea, a dangerous condition where the person actually stops breathing for a period of time on exhale and then gasps for breath resulting in the deep snore. The fear is the breathing reflex may not one night start up again.

The CPAP will prevent apnea by re-inflating the lungs under a slight pressure.

Sleep Apnea: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, and Cures

Camping with a CPAP is easy, and now that she also needs nightly dialysis for ESRD, the setup can still fit in with our RVing lifestyle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5886.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	60284  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I'm going for a second round of a sleep study next week. I thought I didn't need this but now I find a lot of my friends just love the benefits from the CPAP. I guess I'll should give it a try.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #16

Here's my tale. I've always snored, never have slept well. My new job is stressful, home life has gotten stressful, so I have insomnia trouble.

All told, I started falling asleep behind the wheel. I drive for a living, so I was getting dangerous.

See the sleep Dr, he prescribes a sleep study. I was wired up like I was going to the moon. Seriously, I'm surprised they didn't want to hide wires exotically.

Even with a sleep aid I slept awful. As I posted, my blood oxygen got down to 70% when it should be in the 95% range. 84 apnea events an hour ( An apnea event is where your brain detects that you can't breathe and wakes you up mentally.) so I was sleeping 30-45 seconds at a time at most.

Two nights later I'm back, this time to get connected to a cpap machine. Wired up again, they put that stupid mask on me and I almost left. Thanks to ambien I fell asleep.

At 5:30 the next morning my eyes popped open from the best nights sleep I've had in years.

I've had two nights without my machine since. Well, well worth it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
B47

I couldn't agree more with the CPAP recommendations here. I dismissed my DW's complains about my snoring until one night my breathing stopped and woke me up.

My Dr. Recommended a sleep study. I got one and the people who read my readings afterwards said my numbers where some of the worst they had ever seen.

I got a prescription for a CPAP machine and my BCBS insurance paid for it. My machine has a removable chip that records all my readings - I occasionally take the chip to the sleep study people who download it and analyze the readings - so far so good.

Snoring may be funny to some people,but believe me it's not.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Here's my tale. I've always snored, never have slept well. My new job is stressful, home life has gotten stressful, so I have insomnia trouble.

All told, I started falling asleep behind the wheel. I drive for a living, so I was getting dangerous.

See the sleep Dr, he prescribes a sleep study. I was wired up like I was going to the moon. Seriously, I'm surprised they didn't want to hide wires exotically.

Even with a sleep aid I slept awful. As I posted, my blood oxygen got down to 70% when it should be in the 95% range. 84 apnea events an hour ( An apnea event is where your brain detects that you can't breathe and wakes you up mentally.) so I was sleeping 30-45 seconds at a time at most.

Two nights later I'm back, this time to get connected to a cpap machine. Wired up again, they put that stupid mask on me and I almost left. Thanks to ambien I fell asleep.

At 5:30 the next morning my eyes popped open from the best nights sleep I've had in years.

I've had two nights without my machine since. Well, well worth it.
I agree about that "stupid mask" - it was awfully uncomfortable the first time I had it on,but I did sleep with it on the first night. When I got my CPAP machine,I complained about it. I now have what Res-Med calls their "Nasal Pillows" face mask. It's just two flexible pieces that fit into your nossills (sp) that blow the air air - works much better for me.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ya'll are scaring me. Guess I'm gonna have to go get tested.

The DW complains about my snoring all the time so while we were in a Brookstone, I picked up one of their 'anti-snore' pillows:

http://www.brookstone.com/brookstone...ows|L1_Bedroom

DW claims she can sleep now since the snores reduced. Though, I forgot the pillow when we went to Goshen. Cost of forgetting the pillow: We ended up picking up the mattress Lippert was showcasing just in case that was the reason she couldn't sleep all week.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ya'll are scaring me. Guess I'm gonna have to go get tested.

The DW complains about my snoring all the time so while we were in a Brookstone, I picked up one of their 'anti-snore' pillows:

http://www.brookstone.com/brookstone...ows|L1_Bedroom

DW claims she can sleep now since the snores reduced. Though, I forgot the pillow when we went to Goshen. Cost of forgetting the pillow: We ended up picking up the mattress Lippert was showcasing just in case that was the reason she couldn't sleep all week.

Initially sleeping with a CPAP is a bit uncomfortable and you slowly need to become adjusted by ramping up your usage over 4-5 weeks. Even with as minimal as 3-4 hours a night you will feel a world of difference the next day.

If you do get diagnosed as having sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine, do yourself a favor and get the nose only masks or nasal pillows. Full face masks are tempting as sleep apnics are accustomed to mouth breathing. Innately we were all originally hard wired to nose breath (hence children being so miserable with clogged little noses). You must retrain yourself to close your mouth and nose breath.

Full face masks (without the humidifier option) dry out your mouth and make you more susceptible to cavities. They also are very uncomfortable for those who like to side sleep or sleep on their stomachs.

An added side benefit of the CPAP is that I can now sleep on my back again which has done wonders for my lower back problems.

I hope everything works out for you.

Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote