Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #61

I hesitate to jump into the fray, but in the case that is close to me, I think they did it to reduce the late night rowdiness, not to exclude the less fortunate.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #62

I used to camp out in a tent and also in a popup. I’ve never considered myself “less fortunate” and find those comments very inappropriate.

Now about that late night rowdiness I have no comment. Whenever that happened I’m pretty sure I was out of the country. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #63

State parks allow anyone to stay as long as the rules are followed. I have stayed in these places many times. They will throw you out if need be. I do agree that if it is private and they can make the rules as they see fit. I choose not to stay at these places. I am not sending in a photo to someone to see if I am "good enough". Besides the fact that you dont know how a person will act based on what their RV or tent looks like.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #64

One CG I avoid because they do not permit anything under 28', only MHs and 5ers. They are always full so do not miss me. We do spend a month at a 55+ CG and self contained only ~ no showers or rest rooms. No pool either. Fantastic family owns it.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #65

At MIS - Michigan International Speedway, There is a new camping spot above turn 3 & 4, for Motor Homes, Class A ONLY !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #66
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
At MIS - Michigan International Speedway, There is a new camping spot above turn 3 & 4, for Motor Homes, Class A ONLY !!!
MIS...been there many times!

Just outside of my hometown...

Unfortunately...I probably can't afford what they are asking for a campsite there during a race week.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not unusual at all for Nascar tracks. Many of them have premium sites that are priced at $1,000 to $12,000 per week. Atlanta has two trackside sites restricted to motorhomes only but I’ve seen trailers set up there. I guess when you fork over $3,500+ for a campsite you can put anything you want there.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Nice story Oldsmasma. I hope all stories turn out that well.

There is a Yogi Bear near me that is going this route in 2019...no tents, popups, hybrids...

It really seems odd to me for a kid friendly themed campground to make that decision. On summer weekends, the tent / popup area was a madhouse, but they could have addressed that, in my opinion, by reducing the overcrowding rather than excluding several styles of mobile shelter.
That's too bad. We stay at a lot of Jellystones. Anytime we plan to travel someplace new, that's the first thing my wife looks for. We have yet to have any problems with late nights or roudy campers at any of them. I have noticed a trend lately though that a few of them have been removing some RV sites to put cabins in their place. I guess they figure they can bring more $$ in for the same site.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #69
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
That's too bad. We stay at a lot of Jellystones. Anytime we plan to travel someplace new, that's the first thing my wife looks for. We have yet to have any problems with late nights or roudy campers at any of them. I have noticed a trend lately though that a few of them have been removing some RV sites to put cabins in their place. I guess they figure they can bring more $$ in for the same site.
They do have bills to pay...

And people will pay more to rent a cabin than they will for a space to park for the night.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #70

I take exception to the responder who mention nothing wrong with age restriction to keep the kids out. You take out a generation of campers you can kiss your future care gives good by . Why in hell would they want to take care of you stupid ass after what youve done to them .
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gricardsimplycol View Post
I take exception to the responder who mention nothing wrong with age restriction to keep the kids out. You take out a generation of campers you can kiss your future care gives good by . Why in hell would they want to take care of you stupid ass after what youve done to them .
Some places have age restrictions (usually 55 plus) due to some tax breaks they may have received. I stayed in a RV park for 6 months near Denver, while my house was being built, and that was their situation. Wasn't that they hated kids or young people, it was just the set of rules that went along with whatever tax break or grant they received.

As for rules on what's allowed or not, maybe someday people will truly recognize that the business owner can do whatever they like as to age of RV, type of RV, or whether or not they want to accommodate tents. "Campers" are also free to decide whether or not they want to patronize places that have such restrictions. If the owner's business model isn't working then they'll go out of business. If they don't fail then it's clear there are plenty of customers that agree with them.

Being PO'd at owners or parks doesn't accomplish a thing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #72

Grumpy old people

I sold my sailboat a number of years ago when it became silly expensive to stay anywhere. I’m not talking about a dock I’m talking anchorages that no longer allow using an anchor but charging $100 plus a night for a mooring with no choice. See Marco island for how it works.
Now I’m seeing the same thing happening in “the better” campgrounds.
It’s ALL about keeping “ them” out and catering to the grumpy old people with money who only want to be around their own kind.
I now fall into that category(except the money part, and keeping to what ever my own kind is)myself having reach a certain age.
If you are breaking the rules in the campground I’m staying in I WILL tell you about it. Mostly you don’t scare me.
Same as my neighborhood, cut your grass, control your kids and dogs, and don’t act like a dick.
No need to keep out tents and pop ups, just keep out the jerks and perhaps the grumpy old people.
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #73

Owners can do what they wish with their property. Sorry to be sarcastic, but if you don't like something find another place to go or buy your own. In my line of work I found years ago that the company I worked for didn't do things like I thought they should, so I went and started my own competing company and now do things like I want them to be done and am very successful at it. Life deals you a handful of lemons, make lemonade! Don't like your campground go find another or build your own. Businesses have bottom-lines to deal with and RV owners probably deliver a better bottom-line for an owner of a campground. We have camped at places we never return to because we don't like the character of a place, noisy, etc., and we have found other places we just love. If they change we will move along. It's a free country! Go find your happy camping place! It's out there!!
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #74

If I wanted to make reservations at a rv "resort" and I had to send in a picture of my unit to get it approved, I wouldn't be staying there. Our 5th wheel is 37' long wth 4 slideouts, but it is a 2005 model. It looks great, except for the maroon decal on the street side has faded and cracked. it's the only color that has done this. I'm sure we wouldn't be allowed in some of these uppity RV resorts.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #75

I have my 34 5th wheel and when I come across these types of campgrounds I continue on down the road. Them types have usually no kids around and are not family oriented. My kids are grown but I still appreciate the atmosphere that families bring to these campsites. I have found I don't care for the attitudes that non family oriented campgrounds have, I live in a rural area and find these campgrounds bring city people with whom I don't always agree because these people are snooty (not all of them) but are not a representation of what America is made up of.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #76

It's a privately owned business. If that's what they choose to do that's their business. If its something I disagree with I'll just go somewhere else.
Pdchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Just wanted to get some thoughts and discussion about a recent decision that was made by a local campground... oh excuse me, they now bill themselves as an RV resort that I happen to be familiar with.

Some background:

My wife and I were seasonal at this place a few years ago when it was still a family-owned campground. Then they were sold to a large corporation who immediately came in and a started making all sorts of "improvements" to the place. With all these "improvements" came rising costs.

We saw the writing on the wall and got out ASAP. Many others followed suit in the next couple of years. From what I've heard they've probably lost somewhere around 25% or more of their seasonal base.

Now I've recently learned that they are no longer allowing tents or pop-up trailers. From the comments I've read on this, NOBODY is happy about this decision.

I simply don't understand why a company would alienate a percentage of their customer base like this. For no reason at all.

Sadly, they've just recently purchased another local campground and I'm sure they be implementing the same changes in it as well.

Aside from a a few national parks that have this rule due to wild animals, I've never heard of a place making a rule like this. Anyone else?
You haven't traveled much? A lot of resorts do not allow tents and popups. Some even have an age limit on the RV. And some even say the RV must be in good shape. This is to keep the parks looking clean and neat....RV parks are not camp grounds per say. If that's what you want, then KOA is what you want. Although they have hook ups for RV, most are dirt or gravel roads and sites. They allow anything in their grounds. They are a CAMP GROUND so to speak....
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #78

I just don't get the folks that are upset with RV parks that have exclusionary rules. It's easy to look them up and if you are excluded for whatever reason, find another! It doesn't mean they or the folks that use them are uppity. They are just filling a niche in the market.

When we stay in private parks, it is usually around Tucson and Phoenix. Lots of 55 and over parks with all the rules that seem to bother some folks in this thread. We were glad when we could finally start using them!

We are at Mayo Clinic for several weeks each year and appreciate the rules that can provide a quieter environment among folks our age. A more peaceful experience during our medical journey.

About the only differences we notice, is that there are more of what I call RVers, than campers like you would see in the backwoods. In either case, most folks are very friendly, just at different phases of life.

So we enjoy both. Parks with rules when we need them, and backwoods where we don't need any rules
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #79

In our 45+ years of "camping", which started with a "Surfer" Van, then tents, then a Pop-up trailer, then a couple of TT's, and now includes a luxurious fifth-wheel, we have seen all manner of RV parks and campsites. Many of the more remote wilderness areas where we camped years ago are now out of the question due to the infirmities of old age, etc. We now seek out so-called "high-end" RV parks where we know the sites are clean and level and include full hookups. We always meet some of the nicest people at sites like that, many of whom have experienced the same kind of "evolution" in camping experience that we have. It is part of the few joys that we now derive from the inevitable path of growing old.

Our last weekend trip to a local "high-end" RV park sadly included me coming face-to-face with a homeless man who was rifling through the trash dumpsters looking for something "recyclable" that he could cash in to feed his drug habit. I reported the incident to one of the Park Rangers the next morning, and he apologized for not posting warning signs throughout the park, since this particular man and his drug addiction was well known to all the staff of the park.

I will continue to patronize RV parks who at least make an effort to keep out the kind of people who make life miserable for the rest of us who are law abiding citizens.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #80

Maybe they’re trying to keep out homeless people who only have tents?
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote