Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #41

We have a hybrid and have yet to run into problems, but most of the campgrounds we stay at tend to be kid themed and family friendly. I cant think of any campgrounds close to home with such restrictions. I dont know how long they would stay in business if they did though. Most are only open 6-7 months a year and most of their business falls on the weekends. If they started excluding half their customer base Im sure they would run into financial difficulties real quick. Maybe thats something more common in climates with a longer camping season?

We also tend to use the bathroom/shower houses if they're clean and well kept, for most of the reasons already listed.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #42

[QUOTE=Iwritecode;2040251]They can but I can also feel sad that they are turning what used to be a locally owned, all-inclusive, family-friendly campground into a "resort" that only caters to a certain group of people and turns away others because they don't own the right type of RV.

No, see; here's the deal. They can't and don't cater to a certain group of people. That's discrimination. They do cater to a certain type of RV (regardless who owns it) and that's competition for what appears to be what the market is seeking. A lot of those places also sell the individual sites that are created for a certain class of RV but also allows anyone with the same class to rent it daily when not occupied by the owner. Oh well.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #43

I hardly own anything. I only camp when/where I can.

I think camping without kids or family is not why I camp. It's what I think camping is about and it's why we camp. Celebrate the family by camping.

During bad weather I feel "sorry" for the tent campers. Last year when camping at a local COE campground we had a windy and rainy trip. My neighbor was a tent family who set-up after we got there and only stayed one night after everything they owned got soaking wet. I felt sorry for them packing up and leaving all wet, but never do I look down on them. I am sometimes jealous of tent only areas... as it limits the camping for us "RVers." YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #44

I have read all the posts and agree with some and disagree with others. April will start our seventh year of full timing and I wish to post what others have avoided in their posts. The dark side of tent, pop up, TT, fifth wheel and motor home camping and rv'ing.

A certain percentage of these types of folks in our private and public parks and campgrounds don't care about rules, conduct of their children, who they camp with and any appearance of civility in how they act and what they do or don't do.

Examples of this is not respecting quiet hours, walking or running through sites at all hours, using their site as a toilet, letting pets run and poop any where they please and generally disrespecting their neighbors and the hosts/managers/owners of said establishments.

People don't want confrontations with these folks and neither do I - up to a point. I will speak but if no use then go up the chain up to and including John Law if necessary. Don't buy into management saying " we can't do anything" or " they bring in a lot of money during the season". If that's the case then we will move on.

This why we have seen "codes and rules of conduct" being used at parks and resorts that have to be signed and dated and a copy given to tenants so there is no " I didn't know " coming out of their pie hole.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
A certain percentage of these types of folks in our private and public parks and campgrounds don't care about rules, conduct of their children, who they camp with and any appearance of civility in how they act and what they do or don't do.

Examples of this is not respecting quiet hours, walking or running through sites at all hours, using their site as a toilet, letting pets run and poop any where they please and generally disrespecting their neighbors and the hosts/managers/owners of said establishments.
That can apply to any RV owners. Not just the ones that have tents or pop-ups.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #46

Interesting discussion. My .02 on this: We stay at a resort/campground in central FL that has everything from tent campers to massive pushers in it. The bath houses are spotless, as is the rest of the place. Just up the road from me, they are building a RV "resort" that will only allow class A RVs and nothing else. I wonder how many people are going to buy a lot there - it's in the middle of nowhere! Currently we're staying at an RV Resort that has no bathhouse facilities. By virtue of that, it eliminates tent campers and towables without facilities. Again, this place is spotless. It's a mixed bag, from my experiences.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #47

Iwritecode: I did not single out any type of rv user. I mentioned all of them if you had read the post in its entirety.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #48

Just a note of interest. A few years ago they opened up a motor coach (class a) only RV resort near Alto/Ruidoso NM. Not real close to anything. Everyone said it would fail and they would have to open it up to everybody.

We were all wrong. Friends of ours have a hard time getting reservations there. Wonders never cease
https://www.ruidosomotorcoachranch.com
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #49

I talked to some campground owners who did the same thing. The vast majority of their problems came from popup and tent campers who have little "skin in the game". They ended up banning them and it actually worked out fine since with the disruptions gone, the higher-end RVs started coming in.

Popup and tent campers are usually younger, less affluent, and have more kids than RVers.

I absolutely understand their reasoning and support it.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #50
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
We have many campgrounds here in the New England area that do not allow tent camping, have not seen any that don’t allow a pop-up.
My guess is that they want the higher price tag of bringing in trailers and motor homes.
Some campgrounds will not even allow you to have a tent on your site.
I've also seen the opposite, where there are regulations about the age of your vehicles, and limits on how long you can stay. Local ordinances want it to be a campground, and do not want the campground to become a long term trailer park.

It's unfortunate especially where there are few camping options in the area.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Iwritecode: I did not single out any type of rv user. I mentioned all of them if you had read the post in its entirety.

Dave
I know you did, but this thread was based on excluding those 2 specific groups of RV owners.

I also believe there is a tendency for a lot of people to look down on those groups of RV owners as somehow "lesser". That they are the ones that are always loud and rowdy and breaking the rules. It's already been alluded to a couple of times in this thread.

Sadly, I think that's one of the reasons this campground made this change, although you'd never get the owners to admit it out loud.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #52

Interesting read. A few hours from us is a long established camp ground in immediate proximity to a kid's themed park. We camped there 30 years ago when DS was wee and all we had was a tent. The place was almost exclusively young families going to the park. A few years on we heard they seemed to try to become more upscale and banned tents. And motorcycles. We were out of the loop for the kid park but wondered how it worked out for them. Fast forward to current times when we have 3 year old GD and we all visit the park annually. Turns out they fell from grace and got terribly run down. Sold a few years back to an energetic extended family who have invested serious coin upgrading and even buying adjoining property and expanding. Guess what - there is now a wonderful tenting section with hydro only in a lovely shaded part of the park. Business is booming. Good on them. Glad to say we'll be there in August.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yellowstone RV Park only allows hard sided RV's. Owners of RV campgrounds can set any restrictions they wish. Do you live in a home owners association neighborhood?

That’s Fishing Bridge campground for hard side campers only. But I have stayed at Canyon campground in Yellowstone and they allow pop ups and tents, bears are there too. Anytime in Yellowstone anyplace you are libel to see bears. I was in Canyon campground in June one year and there was three feet of snow on the ground plus it snowed every night and right beside us was a pop up and in front a tent.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #54

Nice story Oldsmasma. I hope all stories turn out that well.

There is a Yogi Bear near me that is going this route in 2019...no tents, popups, hybrids...

It really seems odd to me for a kid friendly themed campground to make that decision. On summer weekends, the tent / popup area was a madhouse, but they could have addressed that, in my opinion, by reducing the overcrowding rather than excluding several styles of mobile shelter.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #55

We like state parks, most we've stayed at even have sections that are tent only so there will always be some space for campers that want to tent camp.
GerryLoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #56

Privately owned campgrounds or RV Parks can set the rules that they like, and about the only thing you can do if you disagree is.....Don't go there. My wife and family and I have been "camping" for nearly 45 years. We have graduated from tents and Surfer Vans, to pop-up trailers, to travel trailers, and now to a 35-foot fifth wheel. We enjoyed every opportunity to "camp" no matter the time of year or the weather. We usually camped with a small group of friends, which made the outing even more enjoyable. We still maintain close ties with nearly all of our "camping" friends from 40+ years ago, but nearly all of us have upgraded to TT's or 5ers, or Motor Homes. Nearly all of us are now in our '70's, so wilderness camping in tents is pretty much a part of history.

We have always tried to make the best of every camping situation, especially when we have a large group and pot-luck dinners nearly every night. At night, while we are all sitting around a campfire drinking "Cowboy Coffee", we always call whomever is missing.....and we sing a chorus of Johnny Cash's great song "Ring of Fire". We try to make sure that it is late enough that the missing friends are already in bed!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #57

Yea, we dont go to those parks. We dont care for the types of people that are attracted to excluding the less fortunate. They probably dont like my type either and thats ok with me.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #58
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifshowfur View Post
Yea, we dont go to those parks. We dont care for the types of people that are attracted to excluding the less fortunate. They probably dont like my type either and thats ok with me.
I highly doubt these parks are doing this to "exclude the less fortunate".
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #59

Believe what you like if it makes you feel good.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #60
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Sounds like you are already doing just that...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote