Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

Parents of young children picking up first camper TOMORROW!

Tomorrow my husband and I will pick up our new-to-us 2009 Forest River Sandpiper. I am, to say the very least, excited and nervous about making such an substantial financial investment with the hopes of quality family time in return. We have never owned an RV before. We really enjoyed tent camping when we were dating and first married but once we started having kids, tent camping became nearly impossible (we have a 3 year old and 18 month old twins). Any advice you would give to brand new campers? How about parents camping with young children?
CHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new-to-you camper! Our first camper and subsequent fifth wheel have been without a doubt single best family investment we have made. It is great quality family time. The kids have loved it since their very first camping trip.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Welcome

Welcome to the Forum and the RV lifestyle!
Camping with young ones can be a challenge but is so rewarding.
We started family tent camping when our youngest was 10 months and the oldest was 2 and a half and went from there to a popup and now that one is gone from home a motorhome. Be flexible, keep the sense of humor close by and try to go with the flow.
Keep toys and games handy for the yucky weather days (just like at home). You will have room for them in your rig, unlike tent camping...
Again, welcome aboard.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome!
And congrats!
Post up some pics of first outing!
We have 5 kids ages 20 18 17 15 and 13 and they all still enjoy going!

Course this weekend is (alone time)

We try to hit place with good fishing as well.
I think our kids enjoy it so much they'll be campers themselves.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Just Love to Camp

Welcome to the Camping family!!

We started to camp when I oldest was 10 months old. Now he is 8 and the youngest 5.

Ole what memories you will make!!!

Have a few suggestions.

Awning mat! This makes it great for them to play on.

I kept a clothes basket of toys in the camper that stayed in the camper that way it was always "new" to them

Lots of walmart bags for the stinky diapers!!
Pack and Plays ROCK!!!!! Bought one just for my camper!!

Extra sheets!!!! You never know who will get sick or have a accident when!!

Baby Monitor!! After little ones are in bed. Mom and Dad can have some one on one time to rest by the fire. Sony makes a great one with a ton of channels so that you don't pick up another camper.

Music CD that they are use to. I played one at the house from the day they were born. Burnned copies. Drowns out noise and is what mind were used to.

Portable high chair that folds

Kids movies. Rain does happen when we are campingjust don't know why!!!

A wagon. This was my kids favorite thing to do was to go for a ride!!! makes it great to store things in off the ground also.

Last but not least a good sense of humor and patience. It is all worth it alot of work until they get about 4 or so. After 2 and the kids are walking real good GREAT!!!!!! LOVE IT and wouldn't have it any other way!!

Also if new to camping and might want to take the first night of the trip with just you and hubby or wife. MUCH LESS STRESS!!! Then have whom ever has the kids bring them out or you get them in the morning. That way you have full attention on what needs to be done and how it is done.
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #6

Congratulations on your camper. We have 2 year old twins. Toys for inside on rainy days and early mornings. Last year used highchairs this year booster seats. Some outside toys that they can push around. We use a baby gate on the side of their bed. Snacks and videos. Campground playgrounds are always nice to keep them occupied. You will make lots of great memories. Enjoy and happy camping.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

We have also camp with 2 little ones. 4yr, 18m. Bring the pack and play, we use that for the crib, baby monitor is good. Wagon is great. Just be ready the kids probably will take some time to adjust to the new sleeping arrangements. Otherwise enjoy!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When our kids were little, all older teenagers except our 5yr old, my wife would help guide me backing camper in, then she would get the kids out and take them on a walk for about 15-20min. That gave me enough time to unhitch, unload, and set-up outside. When they came back I would take over with the kids and wife would do her thing inside. We still do that today. Nobody messes with me while I'm in my "zone", and until I crack open a cold one. The idea of a trial run without the kids is invaluable, even if you do it in your driveway. Get a routine and stick to it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH View Post
Tomorrow my husband and I will pick up our new-to-us 2009 Forest River Sandpiper. I am, to say the very least, excited and nervous about making such an substantial financial investment with the hopes of quality family time in return. We have never owned an RV before. We really enjoyed tent camping when we were dating and first married but once we started having kids, tent camping became nearly impossible (we have a 3 year old and 18 month old twins). Any advice you would give to brand new campers? How about parents camping with young children?
Enjoy!!!, that is the same thing we did, before kids, tents, I child.. pop up no heater...brrrr, then hybrid with pop outs both sides, 2 more children..34 ft Rockwood, we have made so many memories already, and dont regret it!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #10

I was so glad to find this post. We are in just about the same situation (my kids are 6, 5 and 3). We are all excited to get out there and adventure! These tips and advice are wonderful to have. Thank you!
CuriousGeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorges View Post
I was so glad to find this post. We are in just about the same situation (my kids are 6, 5 and 3). We are all excited to get out there and adventure! These tips and advice are wonderful to have. Thank you!
There's lots of great information on this site & this tread is a good example of RVers sharing suggestions and tips. Glad you came across it and found it helpful.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorges
I would definitely agree on the baby monitors, don't know what we would do without them. We also have a lot of books, coloring books, crayons and markers (keep a separate set in the camper so they are always there along with a ton of colored paper, scissors and tape.). We also have a couple of small wagons we got from a dollar store somewhere that our kids (4 and 6) pull behind them to collect sticks, pine cones, etc. on every trip we go on as we go on walks or just playing around our site. We also keep a couple of bins of blocks/ toys in the camper and some large mats for the kids to play with them on. Also need plenty of sunscreen and a first aid kit with lots of extra band-aids (seems like any accident needs a band aid to make it feel better).

The last thing I would recommend is doing something to reinforce the screen door on your camper. While camping with a group of friends, one of their 3 year old did a face plant down the steps and onto the concrete slab they were parked on because he was leaning on the screen door (it was latched but they are not made to hold even the weight of a three year old). We wound up watching their daughter and dogs for several hours while they went to the ER. He is Ok now but we all put additional hook and eye latches on our screen doors until the kids were able to really work the doors (in and out) by themselves.

You will learn of something different on every trip, just be sure to write them down so you can remember it for your next trip. Have fun, it is something your kids will never forget and will always look forward to.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

It's refreshing to read posts from people with some common sense. Unfortunately too many people go whole hog and buy brand new expensive campers to not only discover RV'ing isn't for them. Most people I've known with pop-ups say they ended up hating the things, but then have all these happy, funny stories of all the adventures they had in them with their kids. As you know from your tent days, you don't have to spend a lot to have a good time. Good luck!
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

Welcome and congratulations. Our twins are 8 and my little one is 6. You didn't say whether you were purchasing from a private party or a dealer, but I would suggest leaving the kids at home and taking along a notebook, even a video camera and going step by step through the whole thing getting the dealer/owner to demonstrate how each and every system works and not just by explaining but by actually operating it. If the camper is not near a source of water then let him tow it to where he can fill it with water, hook it up to electricity etc to show everything works. If for example the fridge doesn't work, or the plumbing leaks it may well be a deal breaker or something that would mean a change in the amount you are willing to pay. Do you know someone who has a camper who can come along and help ask those hard questions? Check the date on the tires, if they are original to the unit they are ready to be replaced, tread wear isn't the thing to look for on a trailer - it's age - after 6 years maximum you need new ones. Look for the date on the tires themselves, many times the tires are a year or two older than the stated year of the camper (people buy a 2009 model in 2008 for example). Please search these forums for PDI - which is the walk through that a dealer does with a customer when they are picking up their camper. There are lots of examples of questions to ask as well as links to nifty check off lists. You might also want to take the camper for an inspection at an rv dealer if you aren't comfortable checking it over yourself. THings I would especially be vigilent for are any signs of any kind of water damage. ASK if they have ever had water come in and where it was. Water is the BIG BAD enemy of a camper and water getting in basically rots out the inside of the walls. Look for any kind of weird bulges on the outside or on the inside (search the forums for delamination for pictures). I would probably walk away from a camper with those kinds of issues or at least get a professional estimate of repair before making the purchase. Another biggie is the roof. Ask what kind of checking they have done, what work they have done.

A camper is a great wonderful thing to have with children. You get to get out and enjoy trips but don't have to schlep stuff in and out of motel rooms. You don't have to put up with awful restaurant food, you can stick with your own schedules and routines. The camper becomes familiar and rules are the same no matter where you travel. THe big plus? No driving back 100 miles to find a lost stuffy!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Nothing can replace or get in the way of quality time spent with family & kids...your investment in a RV will provide awesome memories for life
With and 8 yr old and 4 yr old, we're having some of our best time together goin camping and I'll enjoy talking about these days with our future grandchildren!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #16

We just got home from our trial night in our Surveyor. We CAN NOT wait for our two week trip in September! Perfect space for us and the kids LOVED the triple bunks. We might just have to squeeze in a quick trip next weekend So happy to be part of the RV community.
CuriousGeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #17

One more suggestion, as your children get older assign tasks for them during set up and tear down. We did with ours, they learned about team work and getting the work done so everyone can relax and play.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis and julie
one more suggestion, as your children get older assign tasks for them during set up and tear down. We did with ours, they learned about team work and getting the work done so everyone can relax and play.
x10
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags