Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

RVing at Music Festivals

Our family has been camping and RVing for a long time now and our kids are in college. My wife and I are finding ourselves looking at music festivals as our new summer trip. Our first trip was to Louisville for Bourbon and Beyond and what a trip - it rained for two solid days turning the RV area into a swamp.

My question is who out there boondocks at music festivals - where do you go and what tips can you share? Thanks!
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Havelock Country Jamboree. $800 Canadian for a week of camping with electric power. Includes admission and free entry to festival grounds a short walk away and shuttle service as well. The can provide water fill and tank dump on site with portal trucks.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Electric

Having electric is a LUXURY!! Wow - that is nice!
Our adventure this summer is Peach Music Festival in Scranton, PA. This will be our first time there. It is hosted at a ski resort that includes access to their water park. No electric, but generators are allowed, with tank service available. Five days of camping and 4 days of music! Should be fun!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #4

A must do venue for music festivals.
https://www.musicliveshere.com
Drycamping, partial or full hookup sites available. A beautiful setting and many good shows every year. We have done the "Wanee" festival the past 5 years.
Unfortunately it’s on hold this year. We will be attending Springfest instead.
https://www.musicliveshere.com/music-festival-tickets/
There are a couple festivals that are not currently listed on their site, like...
https://www.suwanneehulaween.com/tickets
Be sure and check out their solo act weekend show schedule as well
Travel Safe, Blu Skies
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.simpson View Post
Our family has been camping and RVing for a long time now and our kids are in college. My wife and I are finding ourselves looking at music festivals as our new summer trip. Our first trip was to Louisville for Bourbon and Beyond and what a trip - it rained for two solid days turning the RV area into a swamp
We were at bourbon and beyond. It was a great time Friday and early Saturday. Sunday morning we tried to leave early and got stuck. Had to be towed 150yards through the mud. The guy at the campsite next to us attends several music festivals through the summer and fall in Indiana Kentucky and Tennessee. I can't remember any of the specific festivals. They're out there and many of them are RV friendly. We are hoping to go back to bourbon and beyond this year and are also looking for other suggestions
Old 01-29-2019, 11:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Our family has been camping and RVing for a long time now and our kids are in college. My wife and I are finding ourselves looking at music festivals as our new summer trip. Our first trip was to Louisville for Bourbon and Beyond and what a trip - it rained for two solid days turning the RV area into a swamp.

My question is who out there boondocks at music festivals - where do you go and what tips can you share? Thanks!
This should keep you busy
https://www.everfest.com/lists/music-festivals
Travel Safe, Blu Skies
Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 AM   #7
Ben f

Taste of country music festival
On Hunter mountain NY. This will be our 4th year camping for this 3 days show. Headliners are always great and mountain top us electric and tank service. Plus you can see and hear the shows without venturing into the crowds. Best weekend of our year! Attachment 195669

http://tasteofcountryfestival.com/lineup/Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	195670
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks View Post
We were at bourbon and beyond. It was a great time Friday and early Saturday. Sunday morning we tried to leave early and got stuck. Had to be towed 150yards through the mud.
We were shocked at how some of those big class As were pushed out! I hope you were pulled out without damage! We got pulled out around 5:00 pm on Sunday by a the bobcat guy and his kid. We are on the fence about this year, not too sure it will happen.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
We were shocked at how some of those big class As were pushed out! I hope you were pulled out without damage! We got pulled out around 5:00 pm on Sunday by a the bobcat guy and his kid. We are on the fence about this year, not too sure it will happen.
Rules to live by when boondocking at a Music Festival

If it can rain------It will.

If it does rain ------there will be mud. LOTS of mud.

If you can get stuck when leaving------- you will.

If you are going to attend with a large Class A make sure you know how to access (or install) tow hook(s). Many large chassis' have a provision for installing a removable tow hook into the front of the frame for just this purpose. (Even my Chevy Volt has one in the trunk I can screw into a socket in front/rear of frame through a small hole that is covered with a plug.

Alternate approach would be to wait until everyone else has gotten stuck and pulled out, spending an extra day to let rain stop and mud to dry. If nothing else the tracks might be beaten down and wide enough to just drive out.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #10

festivals

I have been to Hunter Mountain, NY twice for the Mountain Jam Music Festival. We used the Riverside RV area and loved it. Also went to Moe.down music festival and that too was great. Cooking your own food and hanging around at a comfortable place makes music festivals fun for a 58 year guy. It's the only way to go.
camperclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #11

Smile Music Festivals

We've camped at Terlingua for music and chili and in the north Texas pines for music. Seems like we always have rain, even in the desert. The last time at Terlingua it rained and hailed on us. What a mess. Anyway, we take our generators and camp with several others and have a great time.
adm49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #12

If I was 20 years younger I might pull my 50k $ 5th wheel into faster hoarses festival but ive seen photos of the 150k 20 year old somethings and thing I am better off not trying.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Been camping-R/Ving at music festivals since I was 11. That's 51 years! Mostly bluegrass festivals.

As mentioned, if it can rain, it will and I've even been through a microburst tornado in a pop-up no less! I've been through just about every type of weather Mother Nature can dish out.... pouring rain, sweltering heat and folks in snowmobile suits from it being so cold.

Electricity or ANY kind of hook-up are non-existent at most bluegrass festival although a few are held at nice R/V parks with all the amenities.

We even promoted our own bluegrass festival for the last 15 years here in Western PA but 2018 was our last year. It's time to see the country! We had hundreds of campers on our 30+ acres every July! (no hook-ups)

Enjoy! These festivals have been a HUGE part of my life and I wouldn't change the opportunities they've provided or the friendships made for anything.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #14

Carolina in the Fall, Ashboro NC, in September. Good bluegrass and camping with electricity nearby. Camping run by Ashboro Fire Dept.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #15

Rock-fest

We go every year to Rock-fest in Cadot WI. (Rock Music Festival In Wisconsin : Rock Music Festival Cadott, WI) We have went for years. always get the same camp sites and meet up with the same people. It is the highlight of our summer every year.
bryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #16

2 good ones here in Michigan.

https://www.wheatlandmusic.org/

Big Ticket Festival 2019 | Gather the TribesBig Ticket Festival
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #17

Quote:
We have a 35 foot a class. I was very nervous. We were planning on leaving Sunday anyway As I had to be back at work on Monday. End loader pulled me backward hooked onto my trailer hitch with a 2" ball.
The forecast called for rain Sunday through Thursday that week. I figured I better take a chance of getting pulled out as I didn't know when I would be able to get back down there. We're from North Central Illinois with work schedule...
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...
Old 01-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #18
MCTroy

Country concert in Newport, Ohio is a HUGE country music party. We only go for a day or two but there is plenty of on site camping. Top county stars there every year.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperclark View Post
Cooking your own food and hanging around at a comfortable place makes music festivals fun for a 58 year guy. It's the only way to go.

That's our feelings too! Definitely not too old too old to rock, but absolutely too old to sleep on the ground!

We are big Warren Haynes/Tedeschi Trucks/Allman Bros fans. Aeronaut mentioned Wanee - that was a dream trip for us! Mountain Jam was on the list too, but it has changed so much, it has dropped off. The next BIG trip might be Red Rocks.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #20

I would love to go out to Red Rocks in Colorado for some Music with my RV