Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Toiletries/ non-perishables left in the camper

In your experiences, what are the "okay" and "nono" toiletries and perishables you've left in your camper when it's not in use?

I know deoderant will melt. And some shampoos can break apart in the heat, turning into a watery gloppy mess. But toothpaste and soaps and powders seem to be ok so far.

I also make sure there is nothing open that an ant could find - learned that the hard way the first time. I've left bags of chips, coffee, sugar packets, canned goods, etc. in the camper. But all new in the package. Anything that's been opened goes back in the house.

I was wondering if anyone has had something that degraded or ants found that surprised them by leaving it in the heat of the camper. The more I can leave in the camper... the less I have to pack next time!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Always Learning

I've never had shampoo issues and my deodorant is already a gel...

We leave as much as possible in the camper. All bathroom toiletries stay stocked.

Same with the kitchen- if it's new and sealed, it can stay. If its been opened, it usually goes inside.

My real question has to so with drinks and hot/cold cycles. Do beer, soda and water care if they warm up after they've been cold (and then are made cold again)? We've been treating everything- once it's cold, it goes into the house to the fridge. But I'd love to be able to leave all of our drinks out for the next trip.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Well, beer and soda are both bottled cold, and then warmed. Then chilled again... but not sure what would happen with a repetitive cycle. I'm sure someone out there has researched it! I imagine water would be just fine.

previous owner of
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

not good to have beer go through the heat/cold cycles. It gets a "skunky" flavor. We've left soda and water with no problems. Never had any issues with toiletries.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

I leave the bathroom stocked with everything as well as kitchen pantry with a lot of items. I don't leave any beverages as I don't want to burden the fridge with also having to try and cool them down as well as the fridge itself. Rather get the fridge back to temp and then stick the already cold beverages from the spare fridge in the garage in there. I know that some folks leave the camper plugged in and fridge running when they get back from a trip but I like to clean it out each time otherwise I'm sure I'd get some science experiment growing in there
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

I leave all toiletries, canned or bottled items, beverages, etc. I make sure everything is sealed. Camper is under cover. I would be hesitant to leave meds that are temperature sensitive.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

We leave all bathroom items (except contact solution) in the camper for the summer season. We've never had issues with deodorant or shampoo, but contact solution does something weird where it burns your eyes when you put your contacts in. We bring this in everytime.
As for kitchen items, we have found it very easy to put the "camper items" into the bins in the bottom of the fridge and bring those in. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, butter, jam, etc. We throw those staples into those two bins and bring them into the garage fridge each time. What's nice, is we always know those go back out, and everything is there.

As for waters and pops, we just put those in the kitchen sink. Never had one leak or explode and then we cool them down in the outside fridge since it cools in a more standard fashion. Beer always goes in the house. Same with anything chocolate, microwave popcorn, and peanut butter. Those items we throw in the refrigerator containers and let them go into the fridge at the house, then when we go back out, we put them back into the pantry. This has worked great for us. They don't seem affected from being refrigerated and back to room temp, and we always remember them because they are in those bins.

Lastly, we haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with opened items. Most we put into genuine Tupperware grandma gave us back in the day, but cereal, pancake mix, bag of chips, crackers, etc, all go into Tupperware and stay just fine.
We make one large shopping trip in the spring, load the thing up and as we use, we replace. Over the winter, we consume the camper items, and replace with new again next spring.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #8

The only thing we bring in the house is lunch meats and chips that have been opened. Everything else stays in the fridge or cabinets. Never had any trouble with toiletries. When we stock the camper in the spring, it stays stocked until we winterize in the fall. In the fall I throw away all the seasonings and flour and that type of dry goods and buy fresh the next spring.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #9

Maybe it's just the heat in FL that makes the deodorant melt! LOL! Nothing worse than getting out of the shower, going to put in on, and it's just goop. UGH. Made a mess everywhere.

previous owner of
Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
I like to clean it out each time otherwise I'm sure I'd get some science experiment growing in there
Our trailer goes to storage when not in use, so I wipe down all of the fridge and freezer after each trip, and then put the clips in to prop the doors open. I shudder to think what the humidity and heat would grow in there if I didn't.

previous owner of
Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #11

Newbie here. We leave our TT stocked all summer. We park and plug in so it's ready to go as needed. Opened cereal, crackers etc. store in ziplock. Bathroom toiletries all stay in camper. We restock as needed.

We also have a state park within 10 min of here and go there a lot just as a getaway most summer weekends, lol. So ours is "lived in" from May - Oct.

Happy camping.
mrsarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #12

I clean everything out of the fridge as wrll as any opened food bags or boxes. Toiletries stay in the trailer. I just bring in the towels and bedding, wash it & put back. It makes it easier to pack for a trip the next time. Just bring food and clothes for the trip needs.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
NELA

Ditto on the fridge contents Darlene. I acquired some very large zip type bags (two gallon) a few years ago, so all condiments go into those, and since we have an outdoor fridge on in the garage, they all go into that. Easy to grab 'em and restock while I'm loading up.

We have a small storage room in the garage as well. It's always been a catch-all, but I'm working on clearing that *all* out, and make that a "staging room" for loading....lawn chairs, the satellite antenna, the "honey wagon", etc.

Keeping it all in one place lessens the chance of missing something.

I have RV only specific shoes, lounge wear, etc. that stays in...and along with all the other RV specific laundry/linens, it gets laundered and immediately returned.

We've only made three trips with our baby but I'm getting better at organizing with every trip.

I acquired one of those square metal buggies on wheels (you see people in cities pushing them down the sidewalk) at a *huge* flea market. I use that to cart out all the groceries, etc. It certainly lessens the number of trips from the house to the RV, then from the RV back to the house when we get home.

I guess my best tip for loading up is to take at least half the day off from work on the day you plan to load up and leave out. I normally get off work around 2PM anyway and DH gets off at five, and yes, I could get it all loaded up before he gets home, but I've decided I'm not going to put myself under that pressure. Taking half the day off gives me time to grocery shop (always do that the day of departure) and *think* about things I might be forgetting.

Last thing I do is walk through the RV, doing a mental check list of all items specific to that room/area. Worked well on the first trip...bathroom, medicine cabinet...yikes, forgot daily meds!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I clean everything out of the fridge as wrll as any opened food bags or boxes. Toiletries stay in the trailer. I just bring in the towels and bedding, wash it & put back. It makes it easier to pack for a trip the next time. Just bring food and clothes for the trip needs.
Same here, also, never had any problems with shampoo or deodorant in the camper. And I live in Orlando, very hot and humid!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
X3

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #16

We plug in when we get home and only bring in perishables from the fridge and meds. I strip bedding and towels, add to dirty clothes to wash and return to m/h. When I remake the bed I clean and also double check condiments etc for things to be refilled/replaced. I keep basic stock of items on board and replace as used. When we decide to go it's just a matter of putting perishables and meds from the house into the bus and we're gone. I think our record from decision to departure is less than a half hour.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote