Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2023, 04:00 PM   #1

Visiting National Parks with Dogs

My wife and are planning a 2024 "bucket list" trip to visit the western National Parks and Monuments and will be traveling with our dog (a very active 65 lb. Labrador). We understand and appreciate that dogs are not allowed in most parks or, if so, only on very limited trails.

However, I was hoping that some of you have done similar trips with dogs and could share some experiences and advice about how you managed both seeing the sites and carrying for the dog. For example,

- did you hire someone from Rover.com or use a kennel? If so, how were the kennels?

- did you leave your dog in the trailer with AC on? (We have Waggle to monitor temp remotely but it requires reliable cell connection).

- did you find alternative trails to hike and then do drives thru's (rather than hikes) inside the parks?

Any insight, experiences, advice, etc. is much appreciated. I know this topic was addressed about 5 years ago in another thread but was hoping to expand.

Many thanks!
1983 Wife
koribustard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #2
Always Learning

Leave the dog in the trailer with the A/C on.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:09 PM   #3

This from the National Park Service. Most parks do not permit 'unattended' dogs. https://www.nps.gov/subjects/camping...-with-pets.htm

If you've got a very active 65 lb. labrador retriever, he's probably not going to do well if you leave him unattended in the rig, even if he's in a cage. All the strange smells in a campsite will unsettle him. You could come back to a destroyed rig or a notice to vacate the site.

Check to see which campsites will allow dogs and if you plan on leaving him during the day, consider a doggy day care.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:21 AM   #4

The NPS keeps making it more difficult to bring dogs on a visit.
They no longer allow dogs on trails on leashes most places.
The only legal place to walk them is in a parking lot or the equivalent.
This is exactly why I avoid most National Parks for more than a day.
Ask me if I have ever been to a NP in the off season with no one around.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
The NPS keeps making it more difficult to bring dogs on a visit.
They no longer allow dogs on trails on leashes most places.
The only legal place to walk them is in a parking lot or the equivalent.
This is exactly why I avoid most National Parks for more than a day.
Ask me if I have ever been to a NP in the off season with no one around.
Unfortunately, there is a good reason for this. Too many folks with pets. Too many of these think themselves and their pets are exempt and entitled.
See it everywhere we go.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2023, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Unfortunately, there is a good reason for this. Too many folks with pets. Too many of these think themselves and their pets are exempt and entitled.
See it everywhere we go.
X2. Plus the wildlife is a big reason people go to some of these parks and dogs don't mix well with wildlife viewing.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2023, 04:35 PM   #7

I'll give you my experience. A few years ago we went to Yellowstone with 5 dogs. All of them are small (less than 15 pounds). I think it's essential that you have a crate for your dog. All of ours have their crates in the van (2 to a crate), each crate has water and bedding in it, they are set up on a platform so that they can see out the windows, and we can place things under the platform. The crates are removable so that they can be put inside the trailer if needed. We wouldn't consider traveling without our dogs so we accept that there are going to be some things that we simply can't do and some things which will take adjustments. Most all day long events are out unless we can go out and check the dogs periodically (even then the weather must be correct -not too hot or too cold for the dogs to stay in the van). My dogs are good in the van and have been trained to hang out in their crates (they are show dogs as well as family). If its hot or cold out then we either limit the time away from the van or we go separately with one of us staying at the van with the dogs. Yes, this does sometimes severly limit what we can do but we just find other things to do that day (we figure it's like bringing kids, it's a choice we make knowing that some things will have to be missed and some outings adjusted). We brought food for us and the dogs in the van and everyday we would find a pulloff someplace quiet and have lunch. The dogs can't go on the trails but there were plenty of pulloffs where we could take the dogs out of the van and let them walk around a bit on lead. Ours did just fine like this. We have a fence system that sets up outside our trailer so we tried to find some time each day to let them run around in our "yard" and let off some energy. We didn't leave the dogs in the trailer at Yellowstone but we have done this at other times. When we leave the dogs in the trailer their crates are set up in the trailer and they are left in the crates. We try not to do this unless absolutely necessary because #1 we can't check on the dogs #2 I don't want them barking or disturbing the neighbors and #3 we like having the dogs with us. I love taking my dogs with us on trips (it's why we bought the trailer) and I wouldn't have it any other way but there are certain considerations and restrictions that you need to consider and be aware of. With dogs you aren't going to get to do everything that you want to do and some activities will be curtailed. Some of your time will be taken up taking care of the dog (just like with kids). Dogs can and do get sick (again just like kids), bring a well stocked first aid kit for your dog (the few local stores are unlikely to have the supplies needed for dogs) and know what to do if/when they get sick. Bring more than enough food and water for your dog. You may not be able to buy their brand of food at the area and changing water is a bad idea when traveling with pets. We travel with all of our dogs and have a blast. We spent 5 days at Yellowstone (and another 5 on the road) and even with the restrictions of the dogs there was more than enough for us to see and do. Would I do it again with my dogs? Absolutely! Every trip we take our dogs come along and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have traveled with dogs for years and along the way have found out what works for us, if you have any other questions please PM me and I'll be glad to answer to the best of my ability. Oh and one other thing - be vigilant about cleaning up after your dog. We have baggies, paper towels, kleenix, water, and spray sanitizer all right by the door of the van. Even if you think no one will be walking where your dog did it's business - clean it up! We make sure that we leave the area with no trace of poop and get off to the edge to pee so that no one will be stepping in it. We also have plenty of baby wipes, they are good to wipe the dogs feet after having gone outside so that they stay clean and that they don't pick up any germs, etc. Good Luck! and have fun!

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2023, 04:42 PM   #8

Hi! I can't help about the dogs in NPs, but I can tell you about Crater Lake National Park, if that is one of your stops. I would never go back to Mazama Campground in Crater Lake National Park. It was horrible! For our second day we moved to Diamond Lake USFS campground which is 20 miles away from Crater Lake. Diamond Lake is beautiful and it's easy to get to Crater Lake from there.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #9

The first thing you'll notice is that the rules vary wildly depending on what parks you're considering. We've avoided traveling to the larger National Parks with our Bark Rangers for the reasons listed above but - as we do love camping with them - they definitely come along for smaller National and State parks.

So, all that being said, research is your friend:

Some parks are wildly pet friendly, and others are so restrictive as to make traveling with them too onerous for fun. Your best bet is to look at the specific park(s) you want to visit, and take note of their individual rules and guidance.

This is a great resource to show the National parks, and lists out their specific dog-policies:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/pets/visit.htm

The rule of thumb seems to be "the more popular the park, the more restrictive they are with regard to Fido." Since you mentioned "Bucket List" and the western parks in particular, I get the idea that you'll likely be running afoul of these regs (like Rocky Mountain NP) :-(

But before you get too discouraged, there still are some parks where barks reign supreme. Take a gander at some of the examples here:

https://www.gopetfriendly.com/blog/b...ational-parks/

I'm glad you're being responsible. I suspect that there have been enough irresponsible owners who have really created the problem we're facing now. When we do travel with a dog, they are never offleash unless they are in the camper, we bring a crate for them (covered in blankets for noise abatement), we make sure that we've got AC for them (comfort AND white noise generation), and we only travel where they'll be tolerated. The other stuff that goes unsaid is about picking up after them, making sure there's nothing to get them barking, etc, but you know all that stuff.

Anyway, happy camping!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #10

Crater Lake? We’ll NEVER go there again. We went there in 1976(??) with our trailer. Wife, me and two young kids. Cannot remember what campground it was, but they had a sewer leak that got into fresh water system, but did not bother to tell anyone! We all got very sick within 2-5 days.
A few months later it became public info and the recommendation was that all infected should get a Gamma Globulin shot. All four of us did but each shot cost $20.00.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2023, 10:01 PM   #11

Every time I go to Oregon I go to Crater Lake, stay at Diamond Lake or Farwell bend Union Creek or Mills creek campgrounds
Old 02-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
See it everywhere we go.
Well....we are special and entitled...............I thought everyone knew that? LOL

Seriously, whenever we camp in an area where pets are not allowed we find a highly recommended local doggie day care. I don't have a lot of experience out west, but on the east coast they are everywhere and most campgrounds can (will) recommend one.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:58 AM   #13

Dogs should never be left in a create in a RV alone.
It’s bad enough that you’re leaving them in the RV alone.
We take our dog everywhere when camping. When eating at restaurants we do take out and eat at picnic bench overlooking a river,lake or scenic areas. Most of the time we eat at breweries /wineries which most provide areas for pets.
Having our dog with us has created some roadblocks but we found it has created a better atmosphere and more areas to explore which we would have not seen.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
We take our dog everywhere when camping. When eating at restaurants we do take out and eat at picnic bench overlooking a river,lake or scenic areas. Most of the time we eat at breweries /wineries which most provide areas for pets.
Having our dog with us has created some roadblocks but we found it has created a better atmosphere and more areas to explore which we would have not seen.
I agree with everything you said with the caveat that what's good for one dog (dogs) may not work with another dog (dogs). Each good dog owner knows what will work with their dog and what won't. Dogs that were raised with crate usage usually find crates as a calming, restful refuge. Other dogs without crate training might find the experience as stressful.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Yikes!
Old 02-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #16

Just wanted to add you need to check the rules for each NP , many have rules that pets can not be left unattended.
Here is a snapshot of one NP information page.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	284159
Old 02-22-2023, 06:44 PM   #17

PhilFromMaine;2825621 - I agree with everything you said with the caveat that what's good for one dog (dogs) may not work with another dog (dogs).

I agree with this. In our case, our dogs have been trained since they were babies to spend time in crates. They see the crate as their safe space and find them very comfortable and reassuring. Some dogs don't view crates the same way. Although I don't totally agree "that dogs should never be left in the trailer in crates" I do think that this shouldn't be done regularly or frequently. Careful consideration should be used to avoid leaving dogs in trailers (in or out of crates) to determine if its absolutely necessary or if there is another option. Like a previous poster we have seen and found things that we normally wouldn't because we altered plans to include our dogs. To each his own, our dogs are part of our family and we do everthing we can to include them as much as possible. Some people have kids, we have dogs. happy camping.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
dogs