Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

What is "too small" for full time?

Well, we are only 6 weeks and counting and my DW and I are hitting the road full time. We are going in our Flagstaff 831flss and hitting the road. We have had some folks go, wow, great and some say "in that?" Honestly, how much trailer is enough? We have recliners to relax in, a kitchen and table to eat and work. We have a couch (bed) and flip top table to rest and work at as well. I added a built in network for computer work, tvs and radios. We have a bath, shower, queen size bed and plenty of closet space for the two of us. We have added a cap to our Tundra and a shelf inside for additional storage (tools, inflatable boat, xtra clothes, chairs, etc)

We are a little snug, but for the two of us, it feels great. Our mantra is "less stuff, more fun!" Is there something I am overlooking?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Gary Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #2

I think it depends on your wants/needs. We have been living in our 29' TT for 6 months now and we feel fine on space. It's just me, hubby, and three dogs though.

When we bought our TT, we made a list of what was important to us in a floor plan- a dedicated bed for us, somewhere for ours dogs crates, somewhere to sit that isn't a bed, an oven, a work space, etc.

Some of it, we nailed. Some of it, we failed. Mainly the oven. We've never used it except to make sure that it works.

Overall, we have no regrets with our size trailer.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #3

I lived in my 30' class C for 2 years while I was working in Mass ( dcommisoning the Yankee Rowe Nuclear power plant) It was find. When the weather was nice I was outside enjoying the fresh air.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

I would say you are mid of the road as too size. Trailer size is more then living space, you have the whole world out your front door. I think you will find after a year, you may think you are find or want more space or you will look around and see if the people that you have the most in common with are in smaller/bigger and you may want to trade then. There is to much to learn to be looking around at this point. You talk about full time but will you be camping or is this your home, big different. You talk about less stuff is better ( I agree ) but you are needing to put stuff in the truck, the boat is OK but xtra clothes, not so much.
Big thing is, to just do it, the rest will work out.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hadden View Post
Well, we are only 6 weeks and counting and my DW and I are hitting the road full time. We are going in our Flagstaff 831flss and hitting the road. We have had some folks go, wow, great and some say "in that?" Honestly, how much trailer is enough? We have recliners to relax in, a kitchen and table to eat and work. We have a couch (bed) and flip top table to rest and work at as well. I added a built in network for computer work, tvs and radios. We have a bath, shower, queen size bed and plenty of closet space for the two of us. We have added a cap to our Tundra and a shelf inside for additional storage (tools, inflatable boat, xtra clothes, chairs, etc)

We are a little snug, but for the two of us, it feels great. Our mantra is "less stuff, more fun!" Is there something I am overlooking?

Sounds as though you have readied and modified her quite nicely for your full timing journey. Personally, I wouldn't say you're all that "snug" in that unit as it appears to offer quite a lot of space on the interior, especially with the slide. Appears quite roomy. That's a plus.

To answer your question. I think you have answered it, and very honestly, yourself. ( "We are a little snug, but for the two of us, it feels great. Our mantra is "less stuff, more fun!" ). Exactly!!

We all have different needs and wants when RVing, aka glamping. Some like the big mansions and others like the smaller scaled TT's. Some cannot bear to be without "ALL" the amenities of home and others can get by with very few. Purely personal choices.

We do not stay in our TT much while on outings as we prefer to be outdoors. Some don't. Some people never come out of theirs. We have seen on a few occasions while camping where some campers never stepped foot outdoors. I guess to each their own, and, as long as they are enjoying themselves.

Best you can do is go out, enjoy your journey, and if you find you need a larger scaled TT when you finish, then would be a good time to assess the need for a larger unit. Until then.............ENJOY!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

Looks pretty big to me !! You guys are going to have a great time !! Enjoy and Happy Camping !!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

If you're happy that's all that matters. I've heard of folks full-timing in a Class B; I couldn't do it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Sounds like you have what you need /want!

Enjoy the adventure !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #9

You are overlooking nothing. Enjoy!

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #10

Full time

This is just my opinion.I like others on here have had about every kind of RV. My favorite for being comfortable was 39' fiver, my favorite for traveling was 40' pusher.The easiest to get into small places is a 32' class c.The cheapest way out is a truck and tt.F150 and nothing over 33' with 2-3 slides. I could have lived in any of them for a year or so. If I was a permanent full timer the fiver would have to be my choice. The bigger the better.
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

It all comes down to what you are accustomed to!

Some people live in an 8000sq/ft house with only 2 people, and others are happy in a 1200sq/ft house with 10 people LOL

I actually get asked all the time about full timing in my XLR. Everyone says how can you live in such a 'small' space?!?! Well, its just myself, and its roughly 400sq/ft, the size of a small apartment. how much space does a person need? At times even this is a little excessive for what i need, but it sure is handy when my buddy and his family shows up and we can all hang out and sleep in here quite easily.

I say if your comfortable with it, whats the issue? Yea sometimes it might be nice to have more room, but you can usually work around that. Having a massive trailer isnt always the best option either (i would say their is such thing as too much trailer!)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Whats too small.

After taking extended trips in our tt of @2 to 3 months at a time I find hanging out a the local laundry matt once or twice a week, gets old real quick.But I guess that"s the roughing it part.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #13

You are not missing a thing. You have a TT that you have used and are comfortable with. DW and you both know better than anyone as to what fits your style. You know the condition and the quirks of your unit.

There are a lot of considerations of being mobile full time. Before making any changes, go with what you have for at least a year. Within that time, you may decide you want roots, you want something different for the gypsy lifestyle, or you will remain happy with what you have.

Our in-laws traded a slide-in for new MH with the thought of travelling into the sunset. That lasted for less than a year.

As far as size, we lived full time in a 21' class C for about 8 months. We were building our own home and stayed on site to save money. And, we did that with two grade school kids. The layout in that C was perfect for us. The kids still reminisce about those times. DW and I still wish we had that simple floor plan.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
jkoenig24

"Our mantra is "less stuff, more fun!" Is there something I am overlooking?"

NO! Sounds like you're doing exactly what is right for you.

I've met two couples and several solos who full time in 17' Casita Travel Trailers and, they're all quite happy with "living small". To live comfortably in that small a space, you do need to be VERY well organized. My first RV was a 2010, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer. It was easily pulled by my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan (which did have the factory tow package). I was up over 12,000' MSL in Colorado; NO trouble at all. Casitas are a really great way to get started in RVing.

It sounds like you and your DW have what you need and want. Don't let others make you feel bad because of your compact lifestyle choice. If it works for you, that's all that matters!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hadden View Post

I haven't lived fulltime in a trailer since I was in college. And then it was a 27 foot Kit. I took out one of the twin beds and built in a desk. I put in a five gallon electric water heater. It was only me and a 105 pound German Shepherd Dog. For two people, though, I'm sure that size would have driven us crazy. I think we could live in our current 31 foot Cardinal fifth wheel but we are looking for something in the area of 34 feet, perhaps 35 feet to travel and live in. Sometimes our 3100 square foot house isn't large enough for the two of us, though, so I don't know!
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #16

"Super" Glamping

Sounds like the Taj Mahal to me!

DH and I just concluded a 31-day snowbird trip to Florida to escape the Atlanta winter. Only a couple of issues. Not enough to justify upgrading but it is fun to think about. Already planning on 6 weeks for next winter.

Flagstaff T12SC
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT
bentbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #17

We left Rochester new york to Las vegas to winter it out in a 25'class C with three slide outs.3 weeks later we traded it for a 36' Class A with 2 big slide outs. there was NO room.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbev View Post
Sounds like the Taj Mahal to me!

DH and I just concluded a 31-day snowbird trip to Florida to escape the Atlanta winter. Only a couple of issues. Not enough to justify upgrading but it is fun to think about. Already planning on 6 weeks for next winter.

Flagstaff T12SC
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT
We did a 29 day snowbird trip to escape the SE NC winter. We traded the TT with 1 slide in on a 35' 5er with 3 slides because I knew the 28' TT would be too tight for anything over 7 - 10 days. Of course that meant a new TV too. Prior to leaving we made reservations for 6 weeks next year just as you did. If that does not cover it we will stay 2 months the following year.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #19
Always Learning

Everyone does it differently.

My family of 4 does it in a 42' fifth wheel with 4 slides.

I know a family either of 10 or with 10 kids who do it in a 26' class C with no slides.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #20

You never know how a shoe fits until you try it on. the good thing is you have taken the time to think things out and plan your space now all thats left is to give it a try and make adjustments as you go. Sounds like a grand adventure to me.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote