Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

2016 Cherokee 274RK NIGHTMARE

My Wife and I decided to get back into camping, after being out of the scene for about 10 years. Looked at different makes and models and decided on the Cherokee 274RK. We custom ordered a 2016 fiberglass model in February and it arrived in late April. Picked it up from the dealer, brought it home and started getting it ready for a trip. In this process we started noting several small issues, un-level cabinet in kitchen, sloppy sealant around windows, clear coat runs on outside, board on kitchen booth was slightly bowing, and both chairs had small scars to the fabric. On day two of ownership, while still parked at our house, the skirting started pulling away from the camper. We hooked it back up and took it back to the dealership. Checking on it a week later, they found other issues, a rather large paint shadow showed in the sun, the left rear corner molding was uneven and would need replacement.
They assured me all could be repaired and would be covered under warranty. Now, over 5 weeks later, the RV is still in the shop, awaiting parts from Forrest River. We've cancelled one scheduled RV trip, and it appears we are going to have to cancel a 2nd upcoming trip.
I called Forrest River warranty the day we took it back, and they were really sympathetic and assured me all would be taken care of. I called this week inquiring about the parts, and all they could say was they received the order. When pressed about getting them delivered, I was told I would have to work with my dealer.
I have tried to be patient during all this, but it is wearing thin now. Anybody have similar issues, and does anyone have a number for the Forrest River CEO. Tried calling their main number, but only got the telephone shuffle.
Thanks
Mark
gl1800red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Haulin' Camp

What a bummer. Warranty work takes forever. If all of the issues are cosmetic, I suggest taking the camper back, use it, and bring it back to the dealer once all the parts are in.
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Great suggestion. Doesn't sound like anything that would prevent you from using the trailer.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

My issue with taking it as is, that some of the problems could very well get worse with the use and moving it down the road. I don't want to add to the problems already there, until they are repaired. Cosmetic or not, this unit should never have left the factory in its present condition. I've visited other posts on this site and seems there is are some who are quite content to accept shoddy workmanship, they just shrug their shoulders and say oh well. In my 58 years of life, I was taught an early age to strife to do the best work you can possibly do and stand behind your work and word. Looking around these days, those of us who share that belief are few.
gl1800red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Site Team

I agree with KewlKamperz. Take the trailer with the few minor cosmetic issues and when the parts come in, then take it back and have them fix it.

5 weeks of camping in it with a few minor problems is much better than 5 weeks of letting it sit in the dealer lot and cancelling planned trips.

IMHO of course.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #6

This is what I would do.... (others have already said it too) but..

I would take the TT back and use it (as long as the problems are cosmetic and the major appliances work) until the dealer has the parts on hand. This is a busy time of year for RV places so I would take it and use it. Any problems will still be covered and after the camping season I would take it back to the dealer to get it all done over the fall/winter.

I would get the 2nd year warranty from FR for piece of mind. They will fix it!

As to the part about leaving the factory....... The RV industry suffers from QA problems, this is not a FR thing this is an industry wide problem. Remember too that some problems can happen during transport and may not be FR (factory problem). Either way like I said these don't sound like deal breakers and even ig you use the trailer and they get worse they will still be covered. Id go get it and go camping if it were me!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #7

I share your beliefs but why not go camping? Tape on the skirting and get out there. It will make you feel better and maybe you will find more problems and it will save you time at the dealer in the long run.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1800red View Post
My Wife and I decided to get back into camping, after being out of the scene for about 10 years. Looked at different makes and models and decided on the Cherokee 274RK. We custom ordered a 2016 fiberglass model in February and it arrived in late April. Picked it up from the dealer, brought it home and started getting it ready for a trip. In this process we started noting several small issues, un-level cabinet in kitchen, sloppy sealant around windows, clear coat runs on outside, board on kitchen booth was slightly bowing, and both chairs had small scars to the fabric. On day two of ownership, while still parked at our house, the skirting started pulling away from the camper. We hooked it back up and took it back to the dealership. Checking on it a week later, they found other issues, a rather large paint shadow showed in the sun, the left rear corner molding was uneven and would need replacement.
They assured me all could be repaired and would be covered under warranty. Now, over 5 weeks later, the RV is still in the shop, awaiting parts from Forrest River. We've cancelled one scheduled RV trip, and it appears we are going to have to cancel a 2nd upcoming trip.
I called Forrest River warranty the day we took it back, and they were really sympathetic and assured me all would be taken care of. I called this week inquiring about the parts, and all they could say was they received the order. When pressed about getting them delivered, I was told I would have to work with my dealer.
I have tried to be patient during all this, but it is wearing thin now. Anybody have similar issues, and does anyone have a number for the Forrest River CEO. Tried calling their main number, but only got the telephone shuffle.
Thanks
Mark
Warren Buffet
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I have been through Tom's of issues with my fiver. Some cosmetic and some major. I learned to use it for camping between repairs or I would not have had any camping since last July. We are now at a point that all.most everything is fixed. We are waiting on a new microwave (again as the replacement had an issue) and parts for the dealer to repair a ding they put on my trailer. My dealership told me if the parts are in stock at forest river it takes about 10 days for them to get them, longer if the parts are back ordered. Every time my fiver went in for repairs, my dealership worked around my camping schedule and got it back to me to use if there was going to be a wait for something. When it went to the factory for repairs the first time, they waited til the end of my season. The second time it went back to the factory they put a couple guys on it to get back quicker. They also threw in some extras and restarted my two year warranty. I did climb the ladder at palomino but they worked hard to make it right. Was it frustrating? Absolutely. Do I think they care about their customers? Yes. Do I think it should have come to me like that? Definitely not but I made lemonade out of lemons otherwise my lemons would have just rotted away unused.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #10

You have to get out and use it. We had issues when we picked our trailer up. Took it camping and came up with a bigger furnace problem ( froze one night). Booked it in over the phone and the dealer fixed it before our next trip. Would have hated missing the trip then have to go back a second time for what we found while camping. Zero issues since and completely happy with our rockwood.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #11

Same thing here.. many issues from the factory.. all approved for warranty but parts seem to take 6-12 weeks to come in. I have it home and using it until all the parts come in.. then it will go in for 2 weeks to have everything done and will take it home.

No reason to let it sit there if everything major is functional. It is noted on what is wrong, even if it gets worse, it is documented so it will be fixed.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

When shopping for TT's last year, we set our budget @ $20K... For the same floor plan we could either purchase a new Cherokee w/2 year warranty or a used Prime Time with no warranty - both made by FR... After spending 2 hours in the Cherokee & 2 hours in the (2 year-old) Prime Time, we chose the used PT product... I literally took a flashlight behind every access panel to compare workmanship...

That said, all of the entry-level FR products we looked at appeared better built than similarly priced Thor products (Keystone, etc.). So, for the price, the Cherokee is better quality than other entry-level TT's but your dealer will need to finish building it sometime before the warranty expires...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

274rk cherokee

Just sayin

We traded in our 2014 solaire 226rbk with little issues for our aluminum sided 2016 274rk. So far after three weekend getaways both sides of the trailer (the siding ) have 4 ft seam sections bulging out from poor installation....three feet of the slide gasket come away in a torrential rainstorm when extending the slide as it was installed to tight..The top slide gasket looks to be a little to short where the side seals run up
.Our dealer is closing shop in December but I am confident he will repair the seal...and "maybe" the siding issue before then. FR claims if our dealer cant they will pay to have it sent back to the plant and repaired / returned ?
Thats a long haul from where we are. The small issues--- leaking cold water line to the hw water heater ( thumb tightened that )... a glass stove top that wouldnt close ( forced the bent hinges back) an oven that wouldnt stay lit ( redirected the pilot )
EASY fixes for me and all done without an issue .
Our main concern is the siding ....and the gasket ....the rest is small stuff
The layout of this trailer is awesome and we hope to have it for many years and it tows great.
Oh and ....watch your head above the lazy boys where the lower moulding comes to a corner...ouch !
sameee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameee View Post
Just sayin

We traded in our 2014 solaire 226rbk with little issues for our aluminum sided 2016 274rk. So far after three weekend getaways both sides of the trailer (the siding ) have 4 ft seam sections bulging out from poor installation....three feet of the slide gasket come away in a torrential rainstorm when extending the slide as it was installed to tight..The top slide gasket looks to be a little to short where the side seals run up

.Our dealer is closing shop in December but I am confident he will repair the seal...and "maybe" the siding issue before then. FR claims if our dealer cant they will pay to have it sent back to the plant and repaired / returned ?

Thats a long haul from where we are. The small issues--- leaking cold water line to the hw water heater ( thumb tightened that )... a glass stove top that wouldnt close ( forced the bent hinges back) an oven that wouldnt stay lit ( redirected the pilot )

EASY fixes for me and all done without an issue .

Our main concern is the siding ....and the gasket ....the rest is small stuff

The layout of this trailer is awesome and we hope to have it for many years and it tows great.

Oh and ....watch your head above the lazy boys where the lower moulding comes to a corner...ouch !

If your dealer goes out of business then take camper to another dealer that sells Forest River products and let them fix it, I take my camper to Camping World and they fix it and Cedar Creek pays for it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee