Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2023, 08:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjones525 View Post
Did your thread link get removed? I don't see a link.

It is the link in post #21. The reason I used this example is because this is one of the models we are interested in upgrading to. I found the same great discounts for all the models we are considering. You must be willing to extend your range of search. We are in SE Texas and bought our most recent new Toy-Hauler from Lake-shore RV in Michigan because he beat the locals by several thousand dollars.

https://www.rvdynasty.com/product/ne...k12-2056140-26
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
It is the link in post #21. The reason I used this example is because this is one of the models we are interested in upgrading to. I found the same great discounts for all the models we are considering. You must be willing to extend your range of search. We are in SE Texas and bought our most recent new Toy-Hauler from Lake-shore RV in Michigan because he beat the locals by several thousand dollars.

https://www.rvdynasty.com/product/ne...k12-2056140-26

Oh got it. So I did and have extended the search everywhere. I was quoted a few thousand less in other parts of the country, but then you factor in driving cost, that eats it up.

I have a total of 6 quotes and have negotiated with all of them, so I'm ready to pull the trigger, fairly certain i know where they bottom is. Not as low as I had hoped but such is life.
mdjones525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:05 AM   #23

I purchased my camper in Jan 2021, just as the inventory shortages began to appear. They had the camper I wanted on the lot, and I jumped on it not to have to wait 4-6 months for delivery. It had a MSRP of $37k and I paid the (no haggle) sale price of $32k. When I just checked my local dealer's website for the same model, they show a whopping $50k list price but a sale price of $37k. My take is that while trailers were in short supply, list prices were increased dramatically. Now that supply is returning to normal, instead of lowering the list price, they are giving the reduction in the sale price. I guess the benefit from their standpoint is that customers are going to feel like they're getting a great discount. In the end, the price of my camper rose by $5k over the past two years. Considering all the turmoil with COVID, the supply chain and inflation, that may be better than I would expect.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:55 AM   #24

We purchased our TT in Jan 2021 for 18k from a dealer about a hour away. Searched the US and everyone else was in the 22k to 24k range for the same TT. I'm willing to drive cross country for the best price and camp on the way back home.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysery1 View Post
We purchased our TT in Jan 2021 for 18k from a dealer about a hour away. Searched the US and everyone else was in the 22k to 24k range for the same TT. I'm willing to drive cross country for the best price and camp on the way back home.

I wonder if dealers are assuming that you will be less likely to walk away from the deal if you find issues during the walkthrough since you drove so far to purchase the trailer.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #26

The experienced traveling buyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
I wonder if dealers are assuming that you will be less likely to walk away from the deal if you find issues during the walkthrough since you drove so far to purchase the trailer.
The experienced traveling buyers make arrangements to camp at/near the dealer's facility with an agreement for immediate repairs as defects are found.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The experienced traveling buyers make arrangements to camp at/near the dealer's facility with an agreement for immediate repairs as defects are found.
That would never happen with the dealer I bought my camper from. When I had a warranty issue (a leaking gray tank), they wouldn't even look to see what exactly was leaking until they received the OK from FR to find the leak. That alone took weeks.

Curious, just what is the likelihood that there's going to be an issue during a walkthrough? I ask that because why wouldn't the dealer do a systems check when they first take delivery? Certainly, they would want to find and fix problems before it is presented to a customer. It would be dumb for them to wait for a walkthrough to find out the AC doesn't work, or the furnace won't light. Unfortunately, that's probably expecting a lot from most dealers.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufinger View Post
That would never happen with the dealer I bought my camper from. When I had a warranty issue (a leaking gray tank), they wouldn't even look to see what exactly was leaking until they received the OK from FR to find the leak. That alone took weeks.

Curious, just what is the likelihood that there's going to be an issue during a walkthrough? I ask that because why wouldn't the dealer do a systems check when they first take delivery? Certainly, they would want to find and fix problems before it is presented to a customer. It would be dumb for them to wait for a walkthrough to find out the AC doesn't work, or the furnace won't light. Unfortunately, that's probably expecting a lot from most dealers.

Same at almost every dealership I have been too. I haven’t found one that will prep trailer until deal is done
Old 02-08-2023, 11:56 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:

Yet very few RV dealers follow that line of thinking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yet very few RV dealers follow that line of thinking.

Correct. We went to look at a fifth wheel a few years ago at a major RV dealer about 3 hours away. It was not a CW. The first one we looked at had a major roof leak and there was water sitting on top of the table and the carpet was soaked. This was a new unit and it was obvious the dealer had not checked the unit upon arrival or afterwards.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #31

Quote:

You expect too much from a dealer. If you want an example of a dealer not doing a systems check and wanting to find and fix problems, take a look at a current thread on the Dynamax forum.: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ol-260903.html The poor buyer found many problems with his new unit resulting from poor factory work, while the dealer obviously did not catch and repair them. Now the GM of Dynamax is on the forum trying to help by instructing the customer how to fix problems that are the result of his factory’s poor workmanship, and the dealer’s lack of inspection and repair. Only in the RV industry could you look at a situation like this and consider it normal.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:33 PM   #32

2023 prices

If you shop around I think you should be able to get around 30% off MSRP.
AuburnTiger2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnTiger2022 View Post
If you shop around I think you should be able to get around 30% off MSRP.
Using MSRP is a little strange b/c it seems like they can toss that number around as much as they want. But I just closed a deal the other day and it was about 32% from MSRP.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:17 PM   #34

Wait till tax season is over. Desperation won't hit RV and auto dealers until they suck every cent of available tax refund money out of the market. I'd say half way through May or definitely by June the sales people will all have that deer-in-the-headlight look about them wondering where all the customers went. The layoffs have already started en masse in Elkhart and there are signals that a number of brands may be closing their doors.

I also noticed this weekend that the biggest RV dealer here in Rhode Island cant possibly squeeze another unit on their massive lot as it is packed like sardines. Last year at this time it was practically empty.

To sum up, give it 3 or 4 months and you will see dealers begging you to buy.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:55 PM   #35

That's good data, thanks. I already bit the bullet and bought one so I'm outta the running. I always owe taxes so waiting doesn't help me...hahaha
Old 03-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #36

So would 41% off MSRP for a 2022 model be a pretty good deal?
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:02 PM   #37

That depends: Remember, 2022 means the rig, although new, is still really 3 years old. Does it matter, who knows... But the worst thing you can do to a RV is not use it: Just sitting in a lot doesnt do anything good for a RV

Also remember, if you find a "deal" and you have to drive far away to purchase it, that FR has this weird thing that each dealer that peforms warranty work puts his local buyers FIRST in line for repair work, and may even tell you to go to the FR dealer you bought it from for warranty work (if it isnt where you bought it).
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinjo View Post
That depends: Remember, 2022 means the rig, although new, is still really 3 years old. Does it matter, who knows... But the worst thing you can do to a RV is not use it: Just sitting in a lot doesnt do anything good for a RV

Also remember, if you find a "deal" and you have to drive far away to purchase it, that FR has this weird thing that each dealer that peforms warranty work puts his local buyers FIRST in line for repair work, and may even tell you to go to the FR dealer you bought it from for warranty work (if it isnt where you bought it).
Fortunately it's a local dealer, only about 40 minutes away.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote