Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2023, 03:13 PM   #1

2023 Prices

Has anyone been shopping lately? I'm trying to judge the market. I'm in the hunt of a 2022/23 Roo 233S and I'm just not finding 'big' discounts, or what I think would be big discounts. Obviously the dealers justify their large savings off of MSRP, which no one would pay, however, in negotiating off of their listed price I'm really not getting anywhere. As an example, a fairly local guy had a 2022 listed for 38,7. I asked for extra solar and slide topper, which according to his calculations brought it up to 40, 5. We went back and forth over price and he settled for about 35. This is clearly a lot off of MSRP, but I feel like we should be lower.

Problem is, I have no idea if that's reasonable. I still feel like we're higher than I want to be, but don't have any other real data to judge that off of.

I did get one quote from a wholesaler, but if I have to drive two days to get it, that clearly adds to my calculations/cost.

Thoughts??
mdjones525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm shopping for a new 29ft Rockwood/Flagstaff TT.
I've seen very few dealers dropping their prices and the few that have, have only done moderate discounts.
I don't see them panicking yet. They may be hoping for the normal spring buying season. If it flops, I expect to see major discounts. I'm in no hurry.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If it flops, I expect to see major discounts. I'm in no hurry.
Agreed. I'm in no 'real' hurry, I just don't want to miss the best deals. It's always difficult to judge when and the price of the bottom.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjones525 View Post
Has anyone been shopping lately? I'm trying to judge the market. I'm in the hunt of a 2022/23 Roo 233S and I'm just not finding 'big' discounts, or what I think would be big discounts. Obviously the dealers justify their large savings off of MSRP, which no one would pay, however, in negotiating off of their listed price I'm really not getting anywhere. As an example, a fairly local guy had a 2022 listed for 38,7. I asked for extra solar and slide topper, which according to his calculations brought it up to 40, 5. We went back and forth over price and he settled for about 35. This is clearly a lot off of MSRP, but I feel like we should be lower.

Problem is, I have no idea if that's reasonable. I still feel like we're higher than I want to be, but don't have any other real data to judge that off of.

I did get one quote from a wholesaler, but if I have to drive two days to get it, that clearly adds to my calculations/cost.

Thoughts??
Last week we went to see about a small TT to have for quick weekend trips and so forth while our 5th wheel is basically in park model mode and the sale price was $15,995 from $18,960 BUT add in the taxes, dealer added fees, they wanted us to sign for $19,850 something lmao not much of deal lol and a payment of like $335-350 a month and thats without adding cost of rv insurance for it either - i say they ant great prices
2015 RAM 2500 HD 4x4 4DR 6.7L Diesel

jimspencer741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimspencer741 View Post
Last week we went to see about a small TT to have for quick weekend trips and so forth while our 5th wheel is basically in park model mode and the sale price was $15,995 from $18,960 BUT add in the taxes, dealer added fees, they wanted us to sign for $19,850 something lmao not much of deal lol and a payment of like $335-350 a month and thats without adding cost of rv insurance for it either - i say they ant great prices
I've been asking for 'off the lot' price. I have them add my state/local tax then remove that part, despite all the dealer shenanigans, they can't control the tax. Then I have my 'true' cost. And I'm seeing about 4-5K off of a high 30's "sale" price.

We're just not there yet...

I always assumed late winter would be the best time to buy b/c shopping/RV shows really pick up in the spring, but either I'm clearly wrong, or the struggling economy hasn't caught up with them yet.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:53 PM   #6

You have to consider their inventory cost, too. If you're looking at one they put on the lot (or contracted for) back when prices were really high, they're not going to let go of it as quickly than one they got after prices started to fall.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You have to consider their inventory cost, too. If you're looking at one they put on the lot (or contracted for) back when prices were really high, they're not going to let go of it as quickly than one they got after prices started to fall.
That makes a lot of sense. I talked to a dealer that had two identical units and he basically said the same thing. "well, we got these only two months apart, but cost to us when up, so, cost to you goes up".

It seems I'm not really being 'had', we're just not at a buyers market yet, IMHO.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:57 PM   #8

I bought my 2022 Highland Ridge back in October for $22,710. MSRP was $33,999. Not the best deal, but I'm down in the Lower 48 for the winter and wanted to get some traveling in before I head back home in April. I've towed it over 3000 miles and spent a number of nights in it and so far I've had zero issues. I've gone through all the systems and everything works as it should. The day I picked it up there was a torrential downpour in progress and there were no leaks anywhere. I did pay $299 for a WDH and a little over $100 to have a battery disconnect installed. Add in $90 for title, license plate and permanent lifetime registration and I'm in it for a little over $23k.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:55 PM   #9

I bought a pop-up in 2020 during the COVID rush. Aside from that I've never bought an RV, so when I just went to get a larger TT I didn't know what to expect or even if I was getting a good deal. I ended up signing the Thursday before the show last week (here in Florida, I live in Tampa) getting a 2022 Apex Ultra Lite 256BHS. MSRP was $54k, I got it for $36k. I didn't think that was a good deal - I know it seems like a bit much but that same level trailer was much cheaper 2 years ago so still inflated. They would not deal like this on the 2023's for me and they had several on the lot.

My only consolation was that they gave me what I paid for my popup in trade. It had some issues, so in my mind they gave me about $4k more than what I was expecting.
JBinFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:40 PM   #10

that's good data, I appreciate it. The market is still waffling ( big market not just RVs). I think if I wait it out a few months it'll work out in my favor. Now where is that crystal ball again......
Old 02-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjones525 View Post
I've been asking for 'off the lot' price. I have them add my state/local tax then remove that part, despite all the dealer shenanigans, they can't control the tax. Then I have my 'true' cost. And I'm seeing about 4-5K off of a high 30's "sale" price.
Question: When you say "sale" price, you're not referring to MSRP are you? Around here (Tampa, FL) most of the 2022 inventory in the high 30's probably had a high 40's or low 50's MSRP so that sale price is already probably $15k off MSRP. Are you getting an additional amount off that sale price?
JBinFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinFla View Post
Question: When you say "sale" price, you're not referring to MSRP are you? Around here (Tampa, FL) most of the 2022 inventory in the high 30's probably had a high 40's or low 50's MSRP so that sale price is already probably $15k off MSRP. Are you getting an additional amount off that sale price?
As an example, local dealer says..."This rockwood roo 233S has an MSRP of 49K, we'll sell it to you "on sale" for 39K".

That 39K is what I'm referring to as their "sale price" although, no one would ever buy for MSRP...they should just list it for 39K and let you negotiate from there. I hope that made sense.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:11 PM   #13

List the exact specs you want. Email a copy to the 4 closest dealers and tell them you are price shopping and ask them to give you a price including taxes and licenses out the door.

Now you can decide who you want to purchase from. Cheapest is not necessarily the deciding factor.
flyflotrtim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
List the exact specs you want. Email a copy to the 4 closest dealers and tell them you are price shopping and ask them to give you a price including taxes and licenses out the door.

Now you can decide who you want to purchase from. Cheapest is not necessarily the deciding factor.
I've done that and the prices aren't that impressive. I don't think my number are that unreasonable and I'm certainly willing to negotiate, I just keep hearing, "no margins at that price, thank you".... No counter, no negotiating just basically TBNT
Old 02-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #15

To the OP. Your not looking in the right place. Check the thread below. The example I posted is still listed for a huge discount weeks after I first saw it.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #16

Prices arent going to go down, and new deals will be harder to find. I have a buddy that works in the largest RV dealer here in Co.

Politics aside, we have over a million "migrants" needing housing. Many do have cash as they have saved over the years. And they prefer new rigs Many just walk away from used ones

Also, the thousands of FEMA trailers that have been sitting, never used, most for over decade, have been selling to the same crowd

You will start to see campgrounds fill as well with the same crowd, especially in 2023 when it warms up

Again, politics aside, its simple supply/demand, and expect to pay more and see less "deals"

And by the way, there is no such thing as dealer loosing money. The so called "Deals" are just cutting into a dealers huge profit, but make no mistake, they dont go into the red.
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:32 PM   #17

Wish we could get those FEMA trailers here

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinjo View Post
Also, the thousands of FEMA trailers that have been sitting, never used, most for over decade, have been selling to the same crowd.
Wish we could get those trailers here. Volunteers have been repairing/replacing flood-damaged houses, in areas that never flooded before, here in North Carolina since 2016 (Hurricane Matthew) and 2018 (Hurricane Florence). There are still hundreds of people still out of their houses.

We are lucky to be able to buy a dozen of these trailers at a time for the survivors.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
To the OP. Your not looking in the right place. Check the thread below. The example I posted is still listed for a huge discount weeks after I first saw it.
Did your thread link get removed? I don't see a link.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:25 PM   #19

This is from a local dealer up here. I know when we bought our 2020 26BHHL, it wasn't this high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230205_162330_Chrome.jpg (91.2 KB, 86 views)
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:52 PM   #20

Old age units and high price units will have the highest discounts. If a dealer has a profit margin of 15% ( wiggle room) then a 100k unit could have 15k discount while a 30k unit would only have 4.5 k . Also the lower end models on cars and I assume rvs have less wiggle room for example an xl might have $500 in wiggle room while the limited might have 12k. Dealers are also dealing with high interest rates and are trying to sell so they should be dropping to decent price