Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
OK, you're in a whole different world if you're talking tote the note places. I am talking about dealer incentives at any actual new car dealer. Usually you can get an additional incentive, many times several thousand dollars, by financing thru the auto manufacturers credit service, i.e. Ford Credit.
Yep...getting $750 on our Ford truck we ordered. Once we get it and get our rebate, we can then just pay off the truck with cash if we want.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #62

Why do people use Camping World? All you have to do is read this forum on any subject and CW if its mentioned its always as a negative experience especially in after sales lack of service. My experience and I've only bought supplies or hoses if no other place was available is that they are manipulative and deal only in small gotcha prints even to advertised prices in their store. A totally untrustworthy business and not fit for purpose.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruane View Post
Why do people use Camping World? All you have to do is read this forum on any subject and CW if its mentioned its always as a negative experience especially in after sales lack of service. My experience and I've only bought supplies or hoses if no other place was available is that they are manipulative and deal only in small gotcha prints even to advertised prices in their store. A totally untrustworthy business and not fit for purpose.
I don't like Walmart business practices, but I still go there sometimes. CW has a large selection all in one place. It's convenient to get everything you want in one place.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #64

I only buy from camping world if their prices are the lowest. Only time I see that is occasionally on eBay.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #65

I pay in cash, problem solved!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #66

New to the RV life. I'm I wrong to assume that all/most Camping World's were previously independents that were bought out? Therefore they might vary dramatically from one location to another, depending if the previous staff/owners are still involved in the operation.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #67

I have this feeling that all you guys that "only pay cash" are the ones I paid my monthly orthodonist bill to, and my deductible for my doctor bills, and my legal fees. Just guessing.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
New to the RV life. I'm I wrong to assume that all/most Camping World's were previously independents that were bought out? Therefore they might vary dramatically from one location to another, depending if the previous staff/owners are still involved in the operation.
A lot of them are acquisitions. But I'm pretty confident that the new location will come inline with the corporate method. They're not going to continue operating like they did as an independent.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have this feeling that all you guys that "only pay cash" are the ones I paid my monthly orthodonist bill to, and my deductible for my doctor bills, and my legal fees. Just guessing.
You would be wrong!

My last day of working is today. I start my retirement at 5:00PM . I was able to do that at age 59 by not financing things.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #70

Just a matter of time before the new corporate culture takes over. I know when my wife sold her business she was suppose to stay on for 2 years but that ended up being two months and all the staff was right behind her, some of their own accord others not.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #71

Quote:
There are a lot of professions out there where one can make a lot of money- and also business owners. My experience has been that the ones working for companies have very little time- they're "corporate men". And the ones that are self employed either work a LOT, or they're taking over a business that has been established and handed down. Therein is the "catch 22." I have chosen to prioritize my time with family over making money, but going places and seeing things requires money. On the other hand, my brother has chosen to use his time to move up the corporate ladder and is very successful. He makes really good money, but has little time to enjoy it. He's actually told me how envious he is of my time- I responded that I'm envious of his income! You're in a very blessed position if you have both during your "raising kids years" of say 25-50(most likely from some very hard work from someone before you that has handed over a good business or large inheritance).
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #72

The larger lesson here is to be an educated and informed consumer, trust but verify, be tough, exacting and demanding in requirements; don’t acquiesce to anything you don’t understand or feel comfortable with, open your mouth and say “no” when necessary and do the work and do the math before buying. Our CW salesman found a buyer who was in the market for a used 5th wheel like ours which we purchased from an independent 3 years before. Selling it to them rather than trading it,saved us about 14K. We specified what we wanted in our new Class C Forester and they custom ordered everything we wanted and quoted us a price that was more than competitive with anything we found in the US on a dealer lot. We had shopped for an interest rate (our credit is great) and presented them with a rate at 3.99 on which we would finance it. They did us one better and got us a rate at BOA for 3.75 which we accepted. We bought the extended service contract for evaluation, then cancelled it and got our money back, then bought another one from another source for a much lower rate. Our Forester arrived 3 months later, we purchased it in July 2016 and have been delighted ever since. I can look at my BOA account any day on line and see exactly what my payoff is should I so desire. We have the funds and could easily pay cash, but why do that when I would have to withdraw it from tax free accounts where it is earned 8% in 2016 and 12% in 2017 in conservative investments, then pay 25% or more in Federal Taxation on the withdrawal, then lose the money making principal? I am not married to CW but my experience was far different than the one depicted here. And no I am not a bot, I am a real person. Caveat Emptor

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #73

"Babock" Congratulations on the retirement. I've been retired for almost ten years. My wife and I retired at the same time. Took us almost 5 years to get used to it. More difficult than I thought, more changes than I thought and I planned for it years in advance. Your working day is a lot of time to fill. We are now doing things that I never would have guessed doing before retirement. My biggest change was when I hooded up with a go-kart racing group three years ago and still enjoy it.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #74

And, by the way I didn’t allow any of that add on crap to the sale price. Tax, title and transferred plate. I did pay for the guy to drive it to Columbia, SC from Elkhart rather than pick it up there.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You would be wrong!

My last day of working is today. I start my retirement at 5:00PM . I was able to do that at age 59 by not financing things.
Me wrong? Man, I ain't been wrong in like.........maybe 3 minutes!

CONGRATULATIONS.

Suggestion: Do what I did. Take your watch, and throw it as far as you can. Never buy another one. And NEVER pick up that first list!

P.S.
I retired at age 63. I did so by financing everything, apparently!!! LOL But paying them off early, and having a credit score of like 9,309,320.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #76
Who Dares, Wins

Interesting video. While it is obviously done by a person who has an interest to have you come to their lot not CW.. It was a good view. It is not JUST CW that uses these ways for sales. Our last RV purchase the dealer pulled similar stunts with adding paint protection, quoted us a 9% interest rate (got 4.25% but it helps when we have over 800 credit scores) because this was the bank that gave the best kick backs...

If nothing else it is a wake up call to make sure you are WELL informed before you purchase. It goes well with Cowracer's (I thinkit was his) post on getting the best deal on a purchase.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #77

Quote:
Nope, just an old retired state employee here who has made some nice investment choices since retirement!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #78

Smile

I purchased from Cheyenne a couple years ago and they did not try to add on anything. They were very open and honest and gave me a great deal. They were about half of other dealers for hitch and got me in and out in about an hour. Not even a mention of extended warranty or dealer financing. For a 2 hour drive I saved thousands.
JohnGaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #79

Cheyenne did a very good job with us .Would buy from them again.
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:54 AM   #80

We bought our current 5ver 10 months ago. Not from CW, independent dealer. The finance guy told us we could finance for 15 years, AND get an extended warranty for only $12.00 extra a month. Sounded pretty cheap to me. Then, I got to thinking. The extended warranty was for five years, starting on the day of sale. Well, FR covers the first year, so that leaves the warranty company on the hook for only 4 years. Now, $12.00 a month for 15 years, plus 6% sales tax, comes out to roughly $2300.00! I think I can fix or replace a lot of stuff with that kind of money in my pocket. Sorry, no extended warranty for me.
I did finance the 5ver for a specified period of time. Want to know why? Because I'm 65 years old, and I can do any darn thing I please! (within the law)
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer