Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #21

Unfortunately I've had to use my Good Sam roadside on two occasions. Both times were late afternoon on holiday weekends on my trips south.,both times we were on the interstate. Once for blown tire on driver side, and once for broken axle hanger which caused both tandem wheels to lock together. Ah yes I have fond memories of my old fiver! Apart from having to wait in the dark on the side of the interstate, Good Sam did respond. Tire was changed on the spot. The axles were pulled apart and blocked so we could limp off the interstate to an overnight parking spot. Next morning Good Sam returned with the needed parts and we were back on the road.
All I can say is we would really have been stranded without Good Sam.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #22

I have had Good Sam for 12 years and used them twice. Once on car being towed by motorhome. I didn't release the emergency brake all the way. It burned up brakes.
I was at campground. GS came out within half an hour and towed to a garage for repair - no charge. GS followed up with call to know how they did. Two years with a flat tire on my motorhome. I was at my house and they came out in about an hour. Fixed flat but charged me $95 for the labor to pull off tire and fix the flat. GS reimbursed me the $95. GS also is good for my car, truck, camping trailer, and boat trailer. When I purchased my camping trailer, Coachnet came with it for one year, but only covers trailer and one more tow truck. So I kept GS. Now, I have both because GS covers all my toys and cars. I bought a new truck about 6 months ago and road service came with it for 3 years from Ford. So I have 3 different road service that I can rely on. But I had only one, it would be GS.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #23

We have AAA plus. Have needed it for our TV when trans went out & for TT - tire repairs (twice). Other than sometimes slow service to get the tow truck - have been happy.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #24

AAA Experience 10 years ago...

From 2005 to 2010, we had a 5th wheel towed by a Dodge Dually, all initially insured by AAA. When I pressed AAA's local representative, and two levels of supervisors above that individual on the issue of what happens to the 5th wheel if the truck breaks down, the answer was that if the truck broke down, they would tow the truck. They would leave the 5th wheel behind. We've been with Good Sam for all of our vehicles since 2006 and have had a couple of simple, local needs for help to which they responded quickly.

Also, DW used AAA three times in one year, again many years ago, and we received a letter regarding our high use. AAA lost our business on these two notes.
AlamoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #25

Coach net platinum

Coach net platinum covers everything Good Sam does, plus includes the emergency medical assistance which will have someone drive your rig home at no charge, and will even pay for the fuel. This coverage from Good Sam is an extra 89 bucks a year. They also cover utility trailers which Good Sam did not

Make your own choice, BUT DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ONE OF THEM

On their 2nd trip with their new 5th wheel, our daughters truck broke down. To tow them a short distance cost 900 bucks. Luckily their vehicle insurance reimbursed them, but they had to put it on their cc first.

Happy Trails, Forrest
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #26

We have coach net. Used them 3 times for flat tires in the last 12 months.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #27

Beware with Good Sam

We purchased Good Sam when we bought our 2013 Fifth Wheel. We also had our cars and truck covered under the plan. We unfortunately had a bad run of luck back in January. We had to have a car towed twice due to a car accident and locked keys in the car. After the third incident, we were contacted by good Sam, and told that if we were to use the plan one more time that we would be canceled immediately. We were also told to ignore any paperwork that came for renewal as we would not be renewed in the future. REALLY...We didn't plan to have a car accident, a car breakdown, and keys locked in the car. It was just one of those times when anything that could go wrong, went wrong. Isn't that the reason we purchased these plans??? No one wants to use it, but buys it for peace of mind in case you have to use it. Yes, the cost is less expensive than AAA, but to be threatened that you will be canceled if you use it, is not worth the savings.
ktmpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #28

There is a big difference between AAA & AAA/RVPlus I have the later and did have to use the a few years back when we blew water pump in the truck. We were about 100 miles from home and they towed us back in with the truck on the flat bed and the trailer hooked behind.

When we got into town, they dropped truck off at the service facility and too the camper to the house. No additional cost for the tow.

With all that said, now that we are on the road more I am thinking of adding some more comprehensive service coverage so I'm looking into coachnet for that.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #29

To SimchaSabra . You was lucky bc I had broke down ten miles away from home and when I call AAA they would not tow my trailer but did my truck .I had AAA plus rv a few years.Then I broke down 107 miles from home pulling my boat .They told me that the only way they would tow the boat was if something happen to the trailer .What can reality go wrong with the trailer. My dad had to come to save me twice .When I first got AAA plus rv I was told if I had to have something tow I would be charge with two tows that's fine with me but that didn't happen.They did reinburst me for the tow plus gave me a free yr .that's why I still have AAA plus bc they are pretty good on being there with in a hr.So I also have Good Sams didn't have to use it yet hope never.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #30

Roadside assistance

GOOD SAM!!! We had an older class a and on the first trip to the mountains the engine blew up. Good Sam paid for that RV to be towed 3 times in 2 days to get it to a garage that could fix it. The first tow was to a campground so we would have a place to stay. (No hotels close by) the next day they towed to two garages. Will never leave home without Good Sam. Just recently had to call to have a tire changed on our 5th wheel, (we now carry a jack that can lift the wheels off the ground plus a small air compressor to run it)
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #31

I was just told my AAA RV Plus doesn't cover hauling the TT unless it has a problem. We recently had the TV break down and they would take the TV and us home but not the TT. I wasn't about to leave the TT with the Harley inside on a side road 150 miles from home. Not saying AAA is bad, just understand what it covers.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #32

I see a lot of us is realize that triple a rv is a joke. I hope the one s that has it learn something from us
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #33

I have Good Sam and it covers the RV, Cars, Motorcycles, and trailers. The real difference is the service providers which are hit and miss with all the organizations. Our GS experience was great for one incident, but horrible for the second. GS seems to be the best value for the number of vehicles we have RA on.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #34
DDC

I just switched to AAA (CAA) because of the costs associated with the Canadian dollar going down, that 30% is making a difference when we plan other events also.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam