Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #41

After having non-confidence issues with the first salesperson I contacted ddurnell. He is a member on this forum associated with RVW. He kindly got me switched to Kelly Sussing. Kelly has been very helpful. Having said that it's now looking like we are getting a Crossroads product - not from RVW. Not signed yet....
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #42

I live in Michigan and got a quote in writing from RVW before I commited to the sale. They even sent me a copy of the factory invoice....the actual invoice and not the fake priced MSRP sticker. I live near All Seasons in Muskegon but they really did not want to work with the price as much. I offered them $500 more so I could buy local and they declined the deal. That is stupid to me because making a smaller profit deal is still profit and better than no profit at all.....especially in the fall. You won't get any warm fuzzy feelings from RVW but they do have low prices. I two switch sales people and when the second one could not get everything handled I actually worked with Mr Durnell who did the deal. It was in stock and they delivered it to me in Michigan....at a cost to me of course. I would have rather worked with a local dealer and am nervous about future issues that no dealer wants to fix. I noticed a couple water fittings loose and dripping water so i had a few calls to RVW. The service guys are great.....so is the delivery co-ordinator. Stay firm on the price....get everything in writing. If you are doing financing with them.....be careful. They can mark up the interest rate and make extra profit costing you more in interest. If you get approved for 4%APR they might mark it up to 5.75% or higher to make profit. Those high pressure extended warranties are huge profits for them.....decline it. I bought the extra year warranty directly from Forest River for $150
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #43

Thanks for the info. Especially the one about the extra warranty. We are not doing financing so that's a non issue. To get the features we wanted we have changed from one model to another until we now think we are at our final decision. No deal yet.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #44

I dealt with Kelly Tussing in purchasing my Columbus 320RS. We haggled on the phone for about a week and I ended up purchasing the unit for $5,000 less than ANYONE could sell for. Kelly was EXTREMELY helpful and very professional. RVW was about 4 hours from my home. When I got there I did the PDI and found a big gouge on the front cap of the unit (it was a gouge and could not be buffed out). The owner Dave stepped in and actually offered me another unit in-stock that had an additional option (fantastic fan in kitchen) at the same price. We spent a little more time there than expected (because they had to prep the new unit but all in all I would HIGHLY recommend RVW as a dealer.

We had a 320RS unit that had the noisy B-room A/C (we found that out on our first outing. There is a local guy to me (Dr. Bob RV service) that was about 20 minutes away. I contacted him about the A/C and he contacted RVW about the issue and actually replaced the A/C with new unit at no cost to me. I could not believe that the unit was replaced when they had a cheaper fix. Again a pleasant experience.

I would certainly ask for Kelly Tussing when dealing with RVW.
dkwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #45

Rockwood 2703WS ON ORDER!

Well we finally got a trailer on order! It's from RVW and Kelly Tussing was the salesman. I had a quote for the same trailer from another dealer and Kelly came in $800 less than the other guy. Driving distance to pick up was similar to either dealer. $800 savings will pay our gas, hotel and food for the trip. So overall we are pleased with the deal.

The 2703WS is the 2703SS but with a wardrobe slide in the bedroom. I didn't like the smaller wardrobe by the side of the bed so asked and Kelly has arranged to have that changed from the full length wardrobe to a shirt closet with nightstand below. Very happy about that.

My old adage is : "ASK - worst they can do is say no!"

Now for some red wine in celebration!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #46

Congratulations!! I bet your excited!! We would have gone with RVW if we lived closer. Living in Utah, I couldn't justify the 2,500 shipping cost nor the gas in my own truck to drive out there. Luckily we found a really good dealer locally that took really good care of us.
JParcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #47

The Final Chapter!

We picked up our trailer this weekend. Met our salesperson, Kelly Tussing who is very nice! In fact all people we dealt with there were very good.

We had a full walk thru and inspection. I took the video camera and taped the walk through so I could go back and review the instructions given at a later date.

Driving in January was not fun. We had some high cross winds, some snow and was a bit slippery in places. But the border crossing and paperwork went very smooth.

Only glitch so far is I can't get in the trailer. I think I have the door unlocked properly but the latch won't open. I assume either I have the locks in the wrong position or the latch is just frozen. It is supposed to be warm on Tuesday so might just leave it and try again then. I don't want to force anything. The storage doors opened fine.

If anyone has a Rockwood Ultra Lite perhaps you can tell me the position of the deadbolt and latch locks when set to open. Thanks.

Now we have to wait at least four months till we can go camping... but sure looking forward to summer in the new camper!

Thanks to all who chimed in here. Very helpful!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

On ours the key in the deadbolt lock has to be turned to the 9 o'clock position to lock and the 3 o'clock position to unlock. The key has to be in the vertical position to remove. I can't remember about the other door lock as we never use it but it may be the same.

Glad to here that your pick-up and border crossing went well.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #49

Thanks Dave,

I could feel that the deadbolt belonged over at 3 o'clock. Wasn't sure on the latch lock. When the latch lock is locked does it prevent the latch handle from coming out OR does the latch handle come out whether locked or not? I have tried the latch lock both at 12 o'clock and at 3 with the same result. Handle is just not moving.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I just checked our camper in the driveway. For the latch to lock, turn the key to 3 o'clock and remove...to unlock turn to 12 o'clock and remove. When the ltach is locked, the latch handle doesn't move.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #51

That did it!!! Thank you yet again!

This time I could see a metal piece in behind the handle move when I turned the key like you said. The door latch is stiff and had to give it a sharp tug but it opened. Thank you so much.

All looks good inside. Two of the doors had popped open. I'll have to see if I can adjust them when it's warmer in there.

I hope Mr. Wiarton Willie (our local groundhog) doesn't see his shadow next week. An early spring would be real nice!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #52
Granny Frog

The door latch on our new Rockwood Mini-Lite was extremely hard to open also. We had to really yank on it until it would finally give. My husband took some Dura-Lube with the long tube and gave the whole assembly a good squirt. Now it works just perfectly. He did all the locks and life is much easier now.
ksjerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post

All looks good inside. Two of the doors had popped open. I'll have to see if I can adjust them when it's warmer in there.
I would be interested if you can come up with a solution to keep the drawers closed. Ours are always open after a trip on a road with a few bumps. Having said that they don't open far enough to fall out but they night eventually break I guess being open with weight inside.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #54

A bungee cord around knobs will fix that.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
A bungee cord around knobs will fix that.
Good idea, that will work for the kitchen drawers, any ideas for the dinnete under seat drawers, there's one on each side and only one knob so bungee is going to be no good.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #56
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post

Good idea, that will work for the kitchen drawers, any ideas for the dinnete under seat drawers, there's one on each side and only one knob so bungee is going to be no good.
My dinette drawer opened- the one with the pots and pans. And yes, the movement did break the drawer slide a bit. I was able to fix it, but it left me with the same dilemma- how to secure those drawers.

I thought I had fixed my kitchen drawers (three stacked) by using Velcro OneWrap thru all three handles and just holding them together... now they just all open together.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #57

We add this problem with one drawer in outBath so we replaced the std drawglides with these self closing Drawer Glides.

The self closing feature requires a more than normal amount of pull force to open just to overcome the closing mechinism so it does not open during travel.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #58

you can also get child security latches the require you to push them down inorder to open the drawer. you can even get ones that can be disengaged while you are camping.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #59
RVWholesalers Representative

QuietTimes,
Thank you so much for your business, it is greatly appreciated! Also, welcome to the RVWholesalers Family! Glad things went well on the way home for you! If you have any problems at all please let me know and I will get someone in your area to get it fixed immediately! Thank you again for your business and remember I am right here should you need anything at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
This time I could see a metal piece in behind the handle move when I turned the key like you said. The door latch is stiff and had to give it a sharp tug but it opened. Thank you so!
On our 2013 Roo, I find that the latch has a lot of pressure holding it against the striker plate. So I actually push on the door between the handle and the wall. This relieves the pressure and the handle turns freely then.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote