Old 10-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #1

Buying: Dealership or private party 4 used TT?

What are the pros and cons of each (warranty of course), and which do you prefer? So much to consider. I’ve also seen private party asking prices higher than dealer sales prices. Is it the same as car buying?

Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Is it the same as car buying?
If you're referring to private sellers wanting more than a dealership... probably. Most of the dealer stock are trade ins so they've paid very little for the rv.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Private owners often value their RV way more than it's worth.
Also depends a lot on where you live. Closer you are to the Midwest, the cheaper the prices are. Especially at the dealerships.
Since you live on the West Coast, you'll see the highest prices in the country, even used.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:46 AM   #4

If buying from a private owner that still has a loan on their RV it can be a hassle trying to get tags etc while waiting for the title from the lender. It can take several weeks.

As far as price it can go either way do your homework.

Just any paperwork in general can be easier at the dealer. Less risk in general buying from a dealer. You have easier recourse if there is a title issue.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #5
NH Maple Maker

I've done it both ways and each has it's advantages. If you buy private sale and find a major issue after the sale you own it. There's no dealer or warranty to fall back on. If you from a dealer and find a major issue you have a much better chance of getting the issue taken care of. Issues like water leaks can be hard to see in a walk through and the damage caused by them can be substantial.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of each (warranty of course), and which do you prefer? So much to consider. Iíve also seen private party asking prices higher than dealer sales prices. Is it the same as car buying?
I found that a warranty is only helpful on big price items. If you are handy, it is less of a hassle to fix the small problems. We purchased our first tt from a private seller. He purchased it to go camping with his grand kids. Two months after he bought it, his daughter got a job out west and moved. He lived in it for a year until his house was built. Then he decided to sell it since it had a bunk house but he no longer had his grand kids nearby. We got a great deal on the camper and he threw in the hitch and a bunch of other things. He also had already fixed a lot of the usual problems. We never had any problems with it and it was an awesome camper. Just do a thorough walk through and you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
Site Team

Unlike car dealerships, most rv dealerships won't want to deal with any repairs to a unit they didn't sell. They're going to give preferential treatment to their clients first. Even if you're handy at fixing the small things yourself, you'll still need to deal with a big ticket item sooner or later, since everything eventually wears out.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Unlike car dealerships, most rv dealerships won't want to deal with any repairs to a unit they didn't sell. They're going to give preferential treatment to their clients first. Even if you're handy at fixing the small things yourself, you'll still need to deal with a big ticket item sooner or later, since everything eventually wears out.

You are correct. That is why we don't go to dealers, we use a mobile repair guy. No hassles at all.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of each (warranty of course), and which do you prefer? So much to consider. Iíve also seen private party asking prices higher than dealer sales prices. Is it the same as car buying?
Dealers may offer a warranty, private sellers will not. May be important when dealing with a second hand camper...
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

The advantage that I see is that a dealership will have a repair shop to fix things you find both during the sale and after the sale. You buy private you've got to find your own repair shop. Dealerships can offer loans to spread the payments out over a period of time. A private seller normally doesn't have that option, it's cash on the barrel head. The disadvantage of buying used from a private sale is you get what you get. Unless there is some major problem the buyer knows about and hides it from you and you can take them to small claims court, it's all on you. In my opinion. The advantage of buying private, is sometimes you come across a very good deal.
Big Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

If you don't have warranty issues...then the only time you will see the dealer is to shop. Everyone knows what a hassle it is to get warranty(or any service work) done at the dealer. I would not let the used change my opinion of the RV. I bought new the second time because of the prices of the used units. I bought new for less than a "newish" RV costs. That is the only reason. Another reason to buy new is get exactly what you want(or think you do) as compared to used in what you can find and accept.

Remember...part of the fun of the RV experience is the "hunt for RV". Enjoy your quest!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
Kasual Kamper

Price-wise, I think you make out better buying from a private seller because you're not compensating the dealer for their markup and so you'll get a fairer price. This means you have to do your homework to determine what that fair price is however. After an RV is a couple of years old, warranties are really meaningless anyway, so they don't enter into the equation with a private seller anyway.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

As others have said, might get a better price from a private sale, but odds are the private seller is going to be asking more than it's worth, because they may be upside down. At least in my local area, private sellers ask probably ask for 95% or even a bit more than what one can get brand new. I figure they are way upside down and don't even bother.

Buying from dealer, if you do a thorough PDI with the dealership PRIOR to accepting the RV, then odds are you can get issues identified fixed for free. Not so much with a private party. Maybe you can knock off a few bux, but you will still have to pay to have issues fixed, or the current owner will have to agree to fix it. Depending upon what is the issue, that could work or not.

Titling issues if there is a loan, although they can be overcome reasonably well with some planning and discussion.

If you are a first time buyer, recommend hiring a professional to do the inspection. Regardless of private party vs dealer.

Mike
Old 10-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #14

My personal experience in 40 years of RV buying and selling here in B.C. is that you always pay more through a dealer . If you do your do diligence, the risk is low. Iíve always bought in the fall and sold in the spring to get the maximum benefit from both markets. The downside is you may have 2 units from fall til you sell in the spring.
Just my 2 c worth.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #15

My thoughts on buying anything used is always buyer beware.

Being that this is my first RV, I bought it new. Like others have said, I live on the west coast and prices on "good" used RVs are not much lower than new ones. It's not like TTs have odometers. I just did a lot of prior research before breaking the piggy bank and jumped at the first smoking hot deal.

I just went to the Pomona RV show last week. I noticed some really good prices on some units and they already had sold signs on them.

I've bought many used cars and trucks over my lifetime. Sort of a balanced mix of good and bad. I've bought five boats and all were fixers. I've bought three homes and all of them were fixers too.

I guess you can see where I'm going with this thought.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
My thoughts on buying anything used is always buyer beware.

Being that this is my first RV, I bought it new. Like others have said, I live on the west coast and prices on "good" used RVs are not much lower than new ones. It's not like TTs have odometers. I just did a lot of prior research before breaking the piggy bank and jumped at the first smoking hot deal.

I just went to the Pomona RV show last week. I noticed some really good prices on some units and they already had sold signs on them.

I've bought many used cars and trucks over my lifetime. Sort of a balanced mix of good and bad. I've bought five boats and all were fixers. I've bought three homes and all of them were fixers too.

I guess you can see where I'm going with this thought.
Not surprised about the sold units, camping season may be winding down for the mountains and beaches, but it is just starting for the desert!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
If you don't have warranty issues...then the only time you will see the dealer is to shop. Everyone knows what a hassle it is to get warranty(or any service work) done at the dealer. I would not let the used change my opinion of the RV. I bought new the second time because of the prices of the used units. I bought new for less than a "newish" RV costs. That is the only reason. Another reason to buy new is get exactly what you want(or think you do) as compared to used in what you can find and accept.

Remember...part of the fun of the RV experience is the "hunt for RV". Enjoy your quest!
Can you elaborate on the (or you think you do) comment?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #18

As part of the cost analysis, check your state's stance on sales tax. Here (AZ) vehicle sales between individuals aren't taxed, but dealer ones are. That's about a 5% difference.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post
As part of the cost analysis, check your state's stance on sales tax. Here (AZ) vehicle sales between individuals aren't taxed, but dealer ones are. That's about a 5% difference.
Here in NJ sales tax is collected through dealer on new units, but on private sales , tax is paid directly to DMV at time of registration.
coney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the (or you think you do) comment?
Sorry for the delay... I just saw this.

Most people figure out what they like and dislike after their first couple RVs. What most think they want changes after you use it.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer